Why to shoot wide open all the time?

4 years 11 months ago #643879 by Alfonso Camil
I attended a photography group yesterday, which was a good time.  One photographer who I was talking to there, at one point mentioned that you should always be shooting with your camera wide open to get professional results.  I had already asked the guy a number of questions, and didn't think about having him clarify this point. 

But now that I'm thinking about it, this doesn't make sense.  I have searched and don't seem to find a clear answer on this. 

You all have been so helpful, so I'm going to ask you.  Why would you want to shoot wide open? 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643889 by garyrhook
Define "professional"?

All it means is that someone charges for their work. Nothing more.

Shooting wide open means you get background blur (bokeh) which can separate your subject and bring attention to it (because it's the thing with most definition). And you will find plenty of people that think an image should be in sharp focus front to back, because that's what they grew up with. Or that's what their mobile phone does.

Any time anyone tells you that you must shoot a certain way, ask them, "why?" And if they respond with something as vacuous as "professional," ask them to define the term.

Figure out your own aesthetic. You do you. If you need to meet the needs of a client, figure out how that fits within what you prefer. If not, maybe they're not your client. Not everyone is, it turns out.

Me, I love wide open and background blur... except for landscapes... except when I want to do something oddly wide angle.... except when I need to capture a group....

See my point? As is often the case, "it depends."

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643920 by Shadowfixer1
Anytime anybody says "you should always" do something, it's best to just ignore them because they really have no clue. There is no "always" in photography. 
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #643926 by Troponin
When the layperson sees bokeh, they think “expensive camera”. They don’t know anything else. This person sounds like they discovered AP mode and thinks it’s bees knees. 

There are plenty of professional photos that aren’t wide open. I see stunning portraits at f/8 (most lens’ sharpest aperture). It can actually add dimension when coupled with lighting. It’s really quite “professional” looking. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643928 by Nikon Shooter
Like in anything, there is only one absolute and that is
relativity. All tweaks to a setup aim to adapt to any gi-
ven specific situation and get a precise end result.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644106 by mariablassingame
Generally, the words “wide open” confer with the scale of the lens aperture – it virtually suggests that to “shoot at most aperture”. as an example, if you're shooting with a lens just like the Nikon 50mm f/1.4, its most aperture is f/1.4.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024