What is the 50mm lens best for

3 months 3 weeks ago #667984 by Pat White
Eh, one more for me today.  

I've seen that 24mm are good for landscapes
35mm for street
85mm for portraits
105mm for macro

What about the 50mm, what exactly is this lens best for?  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 3 weeks ago #668002 by garyrhook

Pat White wrote: Eh, one more for me today.  

I've seen that 24mm are good for landscapes
35mm for street
85mm for portraits
105mm for macro

What about the 50mm, what exactly is this lens best for?  

Technically, any lens could be used for (almost) anything. It depends upon your aesthetic. For example, the 105 makes a great portrait lens, and macro lenses come in 60mm lengths.

Your job is to learn what each lens "looks" like, and then determine how to apply that to your work.

That said, I find 50mm almost worthless, and definitely uninteresting (for me). Don't own one, don't want one, and only land there (on my short zoom) when I'm doing full body or small group shots. That's not to say that I can't appreciate an image made with one, because I don't think about that when I'm looking at someone's work. And there are folks out there that are wizards with various lenses. I'm just not one of them.

Photo Comments

3 months 3 weeks ago #668112 by effron
I have three or four fifties going back to Nikon "E" glass. The zooms are so good I never even carry a fifty now, and the only time I use one is for example, when I want to work a little and walk light. Zooms made me a little lazy, but I've sorted photos by focal length and even with zoom lenses I never shoot at fifty! I get more use from a 30 or 35 prime.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

3 months 3 weeks ago #668117 by Nikon Shooter

Pat White wrote: What about the 50mm, what exactly is this lens best for?  

The 50mm is the closest focal length to the human eye and is
called normal. From there, in one direction are the wide and wi-
der angles, and in the other direction the long and longer lenses.

The 50 mm is best when one wishes to capture a scene with a
perspective closest to the human eye.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

3 months 2 weeks ago #669103 by pixelster
This is camera is best because of 
1.Inexpensive
2. Small
3. Sharp
4. Versatile
5. They Work on Full Frame and Crop Sensor Cameras
6. They're Great for Low-Light Shooting
7. They're Fast
8. They're a Nice Focal Length
9. Help You Be More Creative

3 months 2 weeks ago #669436 by Craig Stone
It's a solid walk around lens and really good for general stuff.  My 2 cents.  

Photo Comments

3 months 1 week ago #670256 by Mason Katz
I used this lens for just about everything, but then again I think because of the crop factor in my D7100, it's equivalent to a 75mm, which by most standards is a portrait lens. 

Photo Comments

3 months 1 week ago #670284 by garyrhook

Mason Katz wrote: I used this lens for just about everything, but then again I think because of the crop factor in my D7100, it's equivalent to a 75mm, which by most standards is a portrait lens. 

No, it's a 50mm lens, and that (is a physical attribute that) can't be changed. The view angle is narrower, which means you have to back up, which makes that focal length more acceptable as a portrait lens (because the geometry of the shot changes).

Photo Comments

3 months 1 week ago #670297 by CatherineW
+1 Yup, that's how she rolls 

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments

2 months 4 weeks ago #671161 by Travis Brunson
Do any of you use your 50 on a regular basis? 

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you're looking for cheap laptops under $500, look no further than this list of some of the best laptops 2020 has to offer. In many cases, these inexpensive laptops are well under $200!

Mar 27, 2020

If you're in the market for one of the best lenses for beginner photographers, look no further than these versatile, budget-friendly options for Canon, Nikon, Sony, and more.

Mar 26, 2020

Is Elephant Stock worth your hard-earned dollars for a custom canvas print? In my Elephant Stock Review, learn the good, the bad, and the ugly of getting one of their fine art canvas prints.

Mar 25, 2020

These wedding photography marketing tips will help you spread the word about your business and generate more income from an increased number of clients.

Mar 25, 2020

If you're wondering how to improve your photography business, look no further than these sensible tips. Gain new skills, expand your service offerings, and be prepared to expand your business in the future.

Mar 25, 2020

If simple photography mistakes are getting you down, learn how to avoid common beginner photography mistakes so you can improve the quality of your photos. These tips will get you started!

Mar 25, 2020

Looking for things to do at home to pass the time? Need some activities for quarantine? This list will get you going with tons of ideas and resources!

Mar 24, 2020

Photography insurance is a must-have, yet some photographers roll the dice without it. In this guide, learn how to get photography insurance without paying high premiums.

Mar 24, 2020