Do you keep the grid on at all times on your LCD?

2 months 1 week ago #669105 by Jon East
I'm referring to the rule of 3rds grid, do you keep it on?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #669114 by Nikon Shooter
No, only when cropping… the 3rds grid is a guide and not a law.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #669248 by Shadowfixer1
Yes. No reason I know of not to keep it on. 

2 months 1 week ago #669253 by garyrhook
Well, my camera doesn't have an LCD anything.

Assuming you mean the LED display, I don't have a 9x9 grid. In the viewfinder, it's sort of a 12x12 grid, and focus points. Yes, I leave it on, but I pay no attention to it when composing. I care about the focus point, and getting things more or less where I want them.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #669275 by Nikon Shooter
I was not sure if you meant prior or post SR.

Prior to SR, always when not working with a gimbal.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #669330 by Screamin Scott
Nope, it's turned off. Not needed...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #669467 by Luca
Hardly ever use it.  

Photo Comments

2 months 4 days ago #669837 by Paul Velasco
I never use it.  

2 months 4 days ago #669901 by KCook
I use the simple cross-hair pattern, instead of the thirds grid. The cross-hair does not obstruct the composition very much, but does help me level the camera.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

2 months 3 days ago #670049 by Shadowfixer1
I replied earlier that I leave it on and can't see a reason to turn it off. It's one of the initial things I do when I set up a camera but to be completely honest, I probably wouldn't notice if it got turned off. I would have to go turn my camera on now to see if it's still on. I don't pay much attention to it but if it is on I will sometimes use it as a reference.

2 months 3 days ago #670065 by Carter Gledhill
I'm a part time user you can say.  Rather I go through my phases with it.  It's on right now.  However just 2 weeks ago, it was off.  

1 month 4 weeks ago #670450 by Chester Foster
Hardly ever use it.  Actually, I can't remember the last time I used it at all. 

1 month 4 weeks ago #670559 by Frisco
True, same with me.  Only when I'm cropping and that's to insure I have a level horizon.  But this in computer, so no in the camera.  

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #670844 by Travis Brunson
Can't say I ever use it.  Seeing 3rds just happens kind of second nature.  

1 month 3 weeks ago #670999 by Soccer Mom
No, not even sure where to turn it on.

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020

In this Leica SL Typ 601 review, learn why this camera is still a marvel five years after its release, and find out where you can get the best deals on used versions.

Feb 14, 2020

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The holy trinity of landscape photography lenses includes three zooms - a wide-angle, a standard, and a telephoto. If you can fill out your kit with these lenses, you'll be sitting pretty!

Feb 20, 2020

Photo by Goh Rhy Yan on Unsplash While it's no secret that China heavily relies on state surveillance to mediate their country...

Feb 20, 2020

Making great videos requires that you have the capability to record superb sound. Get critical audio recording tips in this tutorial on audio tips for videographers.

Feb 19, 2020

With these urban photography tips you'll have a better idea of the gear you need and the compositional choices to make in order to get the best shots.

Feb 18, 2020

jungle photography, jungle photography tips, landscape photography, landscape photography gear

Feb 18, 2020

Starting a photography business requires you to do it in a way that is legitimate and legal. Get some critical tips on how to make your photography business legal in this quick tutorial.

Feb 17, 2020

Getting a beautiful canvas print requires much more than finding a good printer. Instead, you need to consider the various canvas print options in order to get the best-looking results.

Feb 17, 2020

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020