4 years 2 months ago #674834 by sclipston
Hi everyone,
Make: Panasonic
Model: DMC-G7
ISO: 200
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter speed: 1/320 sec
Captured: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 11:26am

I am quite new to photography and today was my first day out and about trying my hand at the art.  I was somewhat successful in accomplishing what I was trying to do.  As you can see the ice on the branch blends into the fast moving water behind it.  How would I adjust the setting to create more definition between the two?

Attachments:
4 years 2 months ago #674837 by Nikon Shooter
Possibly, a better result from the RAW file…

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674851 by Tom-Dinning

Nikon Shooter wrote: Possibly, a better result from the RAW file…

it might serve better if you said how you did this, Nik, or is it a secret?

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #675068 by Brachenland
Several things about this shot do not make it work. Time of day, is one of those things needed to accentuated shadows. Another is the image should have been done as a long exposure this would have blurred the water. Setting the aperture is another, pin point focusing is another. Using the live view screen pin point or force focus on the frozen branch.

Here's a for instance:

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS M6
Lens: EF50mm f/1.8 STM
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/4.0
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Captured: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 19:54pm

With the morning light entering through a window, I set the aperture and pin point focus or force focus on just the smoke closest to the edge of the pot. Mind you in this image, there was enough light in the room to have seen the lamp and chair behind the smoke pot. but because I set the aperture and force focused on just the smoke, the camera blanked out the table lamp and chair.

But my image was indoors and a whole different circumstance. Try the image again, but from different angle, time of day, different apertures and pin point focus on different parts of the branch. Take notes on how each image was taken for future reference.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 2 months ago #675191 by garyrhook
Agree with the above.

The diffuse light is not helping you; you want something with direction to create shadow. Also agree to use a long exposure (tripod!) to soften the water, which will create contrast with the hard ice. Try a different time of day, different aperture, etc, as suggested.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675236 by sclipston
I really appreciate the advice.  It was an overcast day so even when I tried from a number of angles there just wasn't any shadow to be found.

I also got this shot.  

I tried all of the things you mentioned.

Tripod was used.
Longer exposure.
Pin point focus on branch.

The definition is a better but I want to try using the ND filter I just purchased and slow everything down even more.  

Attachments:
4 years 2 months ago #675237 by sclipston
I really appreciate the advice.  It was an overcast day so even when I tried from a number of angles there just wasn't any shadow to be found.

I also got this shot.  

I tried all of the things you mentioned.

Tripod was used.
Longer exposure.
Pin point focus on branch.

The definition is a better but I want to try using the ND filter I just purchased and slow everything down even more.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024