Labeling your lenses for Crop Factor?

3 years 11 months ago #684326 by Alfonso Camil
Nikon has 1.5x crop right?  

Which means my:

50mm  = 75mm 
18-200mm = 27-300mm
12-24mm = 18-36mm

Will you actually label your lenses with the FOV with the crop of 1.5x?  

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684328 by Nikon Shooter

Alfonso Camil wrote: Which means my:

50mm  = 75mm 
18-200mm = 27-300mm
12-24mm = 18-36mm

Not so, Alfonso. The focal length of any lens stays what it is
for ever, what ever the sensor. The only thing that will be re-
corded is, like you say, the FoV. So applying a different desig-
nation will not serve you or change anything.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #684337 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Alfonso

My 100% would be to forget about crop factors and such - just accept the overall performance / the "what does it show me" bit with each lens and enjoy your images from there

You will know when you need something "wider" - or "longer"  :)

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 11 months ago #684364 by Peter P
+1 Agree.  FOV is the only thing that is different with the crop sensor camera.  

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684370 by Alfonso Camil
Then why are so many referencing different focal lengths for APS-C cameras?  I'm so confused.  

Seems like a loose term by some.  I see what you mean.  Thank you.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684373 by garyrhook

Alfonso Camil wrote: Then why are so many referencing different focal lengths for APS-C cameras?  I'm so confused.

This idiocy was started by the manufacturers, because in their "infinite wisdom" they thought that people needed a reference point. And for some reason they thought that their target market would use a 35mm camera as that reference point.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Turns out most folks didn't/don't have the experience necessary to know what a FoV on, or geometry of, a 50mm lens looks like, and how that might change on a body with a sensor of a different size.

We won't even talk about the fact the FoV is irrelevant, too, to the geometry of what a lens does. The FoV is about how much of the image can be captured on the sensor. 

So, there are still people that seem to think the crop factor matters, and that it can change the physical characteristic of focal length. Which it cannot.

It is impossible to fully, accurately recreate the shot specifics from one sensor size on another sensor size. The math and physics do not allow. Therefore, stop worrying about it.

If you want a 50mm lens, get a 50mm lens. The geometry of the shot will be the same, no matter what, but the rendered image size won't.

In short: use the lens you like/need.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684439 by Shadowfixer1
I shot so long with full frame 35mm that I always reference everything to that system. If I adjust the lens focal lengths in my head for the crop factor, I know what I need to do what I want. Is it foolish? Maybe but that is how I think and see things. I use 35mm full frame as the standard and other people do as well because that was the standard for many, many years before we began dealing with crop sensors. The direction that manufacturers are going now is making the 35mm standard prevalent again. My take is convert it if you feel that way and don't convert the focal lengths if you don't care. No harm, no foul either way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
3 years 11 months ago #684440 by Nikon Shooter

Alfonso Camil wrote: Then why are so many referencing different focal lengths for APS-C cameras?  I'm so confused.

Some years ago, I witness a sales person in a camera store that
was facing a customer who did not have the means to pay for
a FF body.

An alternative was brought up: a cheaper body set — with lens —
that permits longer reach to the user thanks the crop factor. The
sale argument hit the target and the cash went over the counter.

Some sales people are so ignorant — but clever to pass os their
ignorence to gobbling believers.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684490 by Toby J
Yep, it's like the pitch for UV filters.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684723 by Alfonso Camil
OK, I understand now.  Thank you everyone.  :)

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684744 by Kelly Lambert
Huh?  

No, I don't see the need for that.  I have thought about labeling my lens caps on both ends with the lens focal length.  But haven't gotten around to doing that.  

Nikon D700: 50mm, 14-24mm, 85mm, 105mm 70-200mm, 150-500mm (Sigma), SB-900
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #684748 by Ozzie_Traveller

Nikon Shooter wrote: Some years ago, I witness a sales person in a camera store that was facing a customer who did not have the means to pay for a FF body.   An alternative was brought up: a cheaper body set — with lens — that permits longer reach to the user thanks the crop factor. The sale argument hit the target and the cash went over the counter.  Some sales people are so ignorant — but clever to pass os their ignorence to gobbling believers.

G'day NS
I also witnessed a sales person with a woman pushing a toddler in a stroller - she was asking for a "camera better than my phone for good baby pics" and was sold a Nikon plus kit 2-lens bundle

I was horrified  - overkill in both equipment and cost

Phil from Downunder

3 years 10 months ago #687560 by Alfonso Camil

Ozzie_Traveller wrote:

Nikon Shooter wrote: Some years ago, I witness a sales person in a camera store that was facing a customer who did not have the means to pay for a FF body.   An alternative was brought up: a cheaper body set — with lens — that permits longer reach to the user thanks the crop factor. The sale argument hit the target and the cash went over the counter.  Some sales people are so ignorant — but clever to pass os their ignorence to gobbling believers.

G'day NS
I also witnessed a sales person with a woman pushing a toddler in a stroller - she was asking for a "camera better than my phone for good baby pics" and was sold a Nikon plus kit 2-lens bundle

I was horrified  - overkill in both equipment and cost

Phil from Downunder

Well perhaps she grew into the set up she picked up.  ha ha ha

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024