Advice for buying a new camera

3 months 1 week ago #698249 by Ira
Hello!
For years, I have been shooting on a simple point and shoot camera. Now I think it's time to get a better camera, but I need advice from more experienced photographers.

What I'm looking for:
1. Full manual controls
2. 1-inch sensor preferably
3. Small size preferably
4. Optical viewfinder is good to have

A camera like Canon G9 X is within my budget, but I cannot afford anything more expensive, and would prefer something even cheaper, if possible (maybe something with fewer features)

One other thing:

I'm interested in doing film photography too. Buying only a film camera is scary for me, cause I never did film photography before. I would like to have a smother transition. So I thought about practising photography with something like G9X + my mother's film point and shoot, and after I get comfortable with both of these, I want to get a film SLR.

1. Do you think this is a good plan?
2. What film cameras can you recommend?
3. What is the difference between an SLR and a rangefinder?
4. What old film cameras are compatible with modern lenses? I think it's important to have a good selection of lenses?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 1 week ago #698252 by Nikon Shooter

Ira wrote: 3. What is the difference between an SLR and a rangefinder?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments
Attachments:

3 months 1 week ago #698269 by fmw
The problem with your plan is the plan to use film.  There are only two good reasons to use film.  The first is you have a film camera already and want to use it.  The second is a love of old technologies.  Something like playing vinyl records instead of digital media.  Anything film can do, digital can do better and with far more flexibility. 

I used film cameras for half a century.  I owned some very good ones.  I don't have a single one any longer and don't miss them.  Plan on staying with digital.

Photo Comments

3 months 1 week ago #698271 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Ira

As a 'newbie' here ..... Welcome to the PT Forum, and I trust that you will receive heaps of good advice along the way

Offering suggestions re- a camera is never easy when one does not know what type of photos you wish to take with that new camera - but if I interpret your post a bit ......

I would suggest a second-hand / pre-loved digital camera using the m4/3 sensor. I am a Panasonic user and find the 10-yr old mirrorless G2 fits your 4 points perfectly, and you can see plenty of them on ebay, along with a selection of lenses. I have a G2 with the standard lens of 14-42mm and the next 45-200mm lens and each is excellent in sharpness and colour rendition

As to film stuff - I would suggest you try any local flea market for a $20 film camera with maybe a 3x to 6x zoom lens and shoot several rolls of film along with the processing afterwards. The costs of processing may deter you, but for an exploratory time at least, it is something that you will need to accept

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 months 2 weeks ago #700040 by Ira
What about Nikon D700?
I see I can buy it cheaply and it's full-frame.

2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #700064 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

It does not matter as to whether it is a nikon or canon or sony or panasonic full-frame body .... with a dSLR it is the lenses that follow that will determine a) the cost of the package and b) where your photography ends up

I suggest that you add together the price of a 24-70mm plus a 100 to 400mm as a starter to the cost of the body and use this as your absolute minimum spend. Then after 12-months use, you will better know what you want and will then no doubt, buy additional lenses ~ if you can afford them

ps- back in my SLR days I ended up with 3 primes and 3 zooms covering the 20 to 1000mm range, and needed two carry bags to go anywhere. I'm glad that it no longer applies to my photo style.

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 months 4 days ago #701823 by xiafanmao
Nikon D700 is ok

1 month 3 weeks ago #702858 by JFarber

Ira wrote: What about Nikon D700?
I see I can buy it cheaply and it's full-frame.

Very good camera!  D700 was a workhorse and still is!  You should be able to get a very good deal on used pricing.  

4 days 23 hours ago #707486 by Pilotshark
Thanks for that. hope I can download the image and put it with my other pieces of information as I learn more and more about cameras and photography.

So after so many years of doing this or that and life itself getting in my way, I am now at the point where just slowing down and doing things I have put off I have concluded that its time to become creative and do what I want.
Thanks for giving me a place to get started. :-)

Photo Comments

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 I is pushing eight years old, but for budget-minded photographers, it represents excellent value in 2021.

Jan 08, 2021

The Fujifilm X100v is the latest in the X100 series of compact cameras. Does this new version improve on its predecessors? Find out in this in-depth review.

Dec 31, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

One of the best things you can do for your photography business is to make it easier for your clients to pay you. Learn how you can do that with these simple photography business tips.

Jan 15, 2021

Canon EF lenses have a long-standing reputation for quality. And with an EF-RF adapter, you can continue using your EF lenses with an EOS R body.

Jan 15, 2021

Processing landscape photos takes a good amount of time and effort. By educating yourself on tips for processing landscape photos, you can make the most of your editing time.

Jan 14, 2021

I got my first metal print from Printique about six weeks ago. In this Printique metal print review, learn why this might be the best metal print I've ever gotten.

Jan 13, 2021

Use these highly effective real estate photography tips to take better images of properties that help improve its chances of getting sold.

Jan 13, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

Use these photography ideas to find your creativity, get organized, and utilize your time at home wisely.

Jan 12, 2021

Cropping in photography is much more than resizing an image. Instead, learning how to crop landscape photos can greatly impact the quality of the composition.

Jan 12, 2021