view actual pixels

13 years 2 months ago #29400 by Sleven
i might be too critical of myself but when i review photos i have taken. the photos look good but i view actual pixels and think the image is "soft" some could be camera movement, maybe the "kit lens" isn't getting the best result.
does anyone else view actual pixels and feel disappointed, or am i overanalyzing?

13 years 2 months ago #29402 by JM 0 DER
man, you are over analyzing. :nunu:

13 years 2 months ago #29403 by crystal
could be the kit lens. Usually kit lenses are cheap, not made with good glass.
13 years 2 months ago #29498 by Scotty

Sleven wrote: i might be too critical of myself but when i review photos i have taken. the photos look good but i view actual pixels and think the image is "soft" some could be camera movement, maybe the "kit lens" isn't getting the best result.
does anyone else view actual pixels and feel disappointed, or am i overanalyzing?

The farther you zoom in, the worse quality you're going to get. Stop pixel peeping ;)

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #29518 by Joves
I agree with Scotty anything over 100% is generally too much and will look soft. Now when Im photochopping I work at the 150% range, that way the manipulations will look good at 100%.

13 years 2 months ago #29603 by Yasko
Nothing wrong with pixel peeping. Just do it where it counts, like when you do a severe crop, verifying sharp focus, or noise removal, should you need it. Not every shot needs to be seen 100 Percent.

Kit lenses generally have a reputation of looking soft when shot wide open, but are fine when closed down a stop or two.

13 years 2 months ago #29900 by Stealthy Ninja
I always pixel peep, I can't get enough. I think I'm a pixelaholic, I just can't get enough pixelhol.
13 years 2 months ago #29964 by arkady001
Kit lenses are generally not 'quite' as good as the more expensive optics - perhaps if you're being so hyper-critical of your images it's time to upgrade your glass collection?

The other factor is that images straight from camera are never going to be as good as images that have been properly processed: proper sharpening applied at the right level in post (and not just the chainsaw in-camera settings) can make a huge difference to the final product.

13 years 2 months ago #30034 by Sleven

Scotty wrote:

Sleven wrote: i might be too critical of myself but when i review photos i have taken. the photos look good but i view actual pixels and think the image is "soft" some could be camera movement, maybe the "kit lens" isn't getting the best result.

The farther you zoom in, the worse quality you're going to get. Stop pixel peeping ;)

There's a name to it...pixel peeping? Wow didn't know that.

13 years 2 months ago #30035 by Sleven

cwightmanphotos wrote: could be the kit lens. Usually kit lenses are cheap, not made with good glass.

Really? Damn. I can't afford a new lens right now.

13 years 2 months ago #30041 by arkady001

Sleven wrote:

cwightmanphotos wrote: could be the kit lens. Usually kit lenses are cheap, not made with good glass.

There's a reason it's called a 'kit' lens - usually they're sold as part of a 'kit' with a camera body for a combined total of under $1,000 (or £ or €)...
Pro-spec lenses usually retail for about $£€1500 or more - there's a reason we pay that much - they're good.

Usually much better than a kit lens - if kit lenses were that good we wouldn't pay for the higher priced glass...

13 years 2 months ago #30357 by Joves

arkady001 wrote:

Sleven wrote:

There's a reason it's called a 'kit' lens - usually they're sold as part of a 'kit' with a camera body for a combined total of under $1,000 (or £ or €)...
Pro-spec lenses usually retail for about $£€1500 or more - there's a reason we pay that much - they're good.

Usually much better than a kit lens - if kit lenses were that good we wouldn't pay for the higher priced glass...

Yeah the kit lenses are pretty sad for the most part now. I remember when I bought my Pentax MX the kit lens was the 50 1.8, which wasnt the best 50 but it was decent. But the lenses like the bodies are merely tools and can actually render good images if you know where their sweet spots are.

13 years 2 months ago #30364 by arkady001

Joves wrote: Yeah the kit lenses are pretty sad for the most part now. I remember when I bought my Pentax MX the kit lens was the 50 1.8, which wasnt the best 50 but it was decent. But the lenses like the bodies are merely tools and can actually render good images if you know where their sweet spots are.

Today those 'rubbish' 50-mil lenses are the fabulous 'Nifty-Fifties'... and like you say, can render excellent results in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing.

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #30605 by Yasko

arkady001 wrote:

Joves wrote: Yeah the kit lenses are pretty sad for the most part now. I remember when I bought my Pentax MX the kit lens was the 50 1.8, which wasnt the best 50 but it was decent. But the lenses like the bodies are merely tools and can actually render good images if you know where their sweet spots are.

Today those 'rubbish' 50-mil lenses are the fabulous 'Nifty-Fifties'... and like you say, can render excellent results in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing.

Definitely. I have a couple old 50 lenses, one of which is used more than the modern Canon one when the light is good enough to manual focus. Better image quality all around, and it's nearly 40 years old.

13 years 2 months ago #31590 by two fingers
Go with the print preview option or "view print size." If you're happy at that level, there's no need to go the 'actual pixel' level.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024