What's the correct spelling?

13 years 2 months ago #30967 by Cyber geek
Lens or lense?

13 years 2 months ago #30968 by Phil0
Lens

13 years 2 months ago #30969 by Cyber geek
Then why do so many people spell it lense?

13 years 2 months ago #30970 by Phil0
I do not know. Maybe, they never know how to sell it correctly.

13 years 2 months ago #30973 by Screamin Scott
Lense is a variant spelling. Some dictionaries accept it , others don't...Don't worry about the correct spelling as everyone knows what you are referencing either way it's spelled...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #31160 by sweet emma
If you are referring to a cameras, the more common spelling is L E N S.

If you are talking about visual correction, as in contacts, the more common spelling is L E N S E.

Don't know why.

13 years 2 months ago #31162 by Baydream

Screamin Scott wrote: Lense is a variant spelling. Some dictionaries accept it , others don't...Don't worry about the correct spelling as everyone knows what you are referencing either way it's spelled...

Is that a variant spelling or a deviant spelling?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #31164 by Rob pix4u2
:toocrazy: so it is plural lens's or lenses ????

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #31187 by Stealthy Ninja
"lense" is wrong, it's just people who don't know how to spell messing it up. OF course some dictionaries may accept it, but only because of "common useage" that doesn't make it right.

lens = singular
lenses = plural

In fact even the online "free dictionary" only gives "lense" a sorta sub spot and "lens" a proper definition. Therefore it's just something they had to put in because of common misuse. Websters the same, they put it as a variant, but it's still wrong.

The Australian dictionary online doesn't even list "lense" at all... and we all know Australian English is the only correct English. :whistle:

The oxford dictionary also doesn't have it:
oxforddictionaries.com/noresults?diction...ype=dictionarysearch

And they have words like "woot". lol
oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0994478#m_en_gb0994478
13 years 2 months ago #31188 by Yasko
I think I've used both interchangeably. Could it be a regional thing too? like color and colour or tire and tyre?

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #31191 by Stealthy Ninja

Yasko wrote: I think I've used both interchangeably. Could it be a regional thing too? like color and colour or tire and tyre?

Nah, lense is wrong. People will defend it though because they've misspelt the word and don't want to look dumb. ;)
13 years 2 months ago #31194 by Yasko
I guess half the time I'm dumb :toocrazy:

dictionary.com listed it

dictionary.reference.com/browse/lense

and it's on the interwebs, so it MUST be true!

13 years 2 months ago #31232 by arkady001

Yasko wrote: I think I've used both interchangeably. Could it be a regional thing too? like color and colour or tire and tyre?

'Tire' is generally US-influenced spelling whereas 'Tyre' is the tired old English way of spelling it...sorry...lol

Read 'Made in America' by Bill Bryson for some good explanations as to why 'US-English' differs from 'English-English' and why if the Founding Fathers had sailed 50 years either side of their actual sailing date, things would be a lot different.
Did you know that it was even mooted that the official language in the US be French at one point?

Oh and it's 'Lens'

13 years 2 months ago #31418 by Yasko
Cool, I'll look into that. Is linguistic history one of your interests?

Couldn't imagine speaking French. No doubt it would have been a very corrupted French dialect too.

13 years 2 months ago #31428 by arkady001
Think 'Quebecois-French' and you'd be close...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024