Erase or Reformat?

13 years 1 month ago #34456 by yvonny
When the memory card for my camera gets full and after I've sent the photos to my computer, I just go through the menu and do the ERASE ALL thing. My friend told me I should reformat my card.

Is that true? Why should I do that?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Baydream
13 years 1 month ago #34464 by Baydream
I reformat about once a year to make sure any "junk" is cleared off.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #34480 by chasrich
As I understand it memory cards work just like a hard drive. Erase a file and it deletes the the first character of the file in the directory but not the data. There are software programs that can restore the data by retrieving the directory information in case of an accidental erasure. An erased file will be written over eventually as you add more files.

Format does it a bit differently. It actually writes a character in each space of the memory then reads the data back and compares it for accuracy. If it finds a bad place it notes where and the card will take that piece out of service. The files are lost and cannot be retrieved in most cases. I format my cards only after the files have been transferred off and backed up on a second drive. I might erase a file or two if I need the space and have no spare card with me.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 month ago #34489 by Pops
Every professional and customer service rep I've talked to recommends format, rather than erase. I reformat after transfering to my computer and backup drives.

Make sure you format with the camera. Apparently there are cases where a computer format with make the card unreadable and/or unwritable by the camera.

Pops

13 years 1 month ago #34494 by Screamin Scott
I had a problem with a Lexar card several years ago & Lexar had me do a reformat in the computer, whereas I had always dome it in camera before...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #34496 by Stealthy Ninja
Who cares honestly. Do what you like. I hardly ever format my cards. Most of the time it's like a river stone. Pointless.*

Like Pops said, if you do format your card, then use the camera because formatting with your computer can change the file system making the card unreadable by your camera (of course you just then have to format it using your camera again... but some people aren't that smart :whistle: ).

*If you're having trouble with your card, then reformatting may help you.
13 years 1 month ago #34525 by Kip
I usually erase; unless deleting a firmware update on the card...then I format.

13 years 1 month ago #34529 by arkady001
Format the card after every job - always, always, always.

Transfer images to computer - back-up to sepate hard drive - reformat card ready for next job.

Any issues you'll ever get with a CF card are almost always the result of deleting images rather than re-formatting the card.

It only takes five seconds to do.

13 years 1 month ago #34531 by Kip

[/qAny issues you'll ever get with a CF card are almost always the result of deleting images rather than re-formatting the card.
uote] Is thisbased on your opinion or do you have facts to back it? If deleting images was such an issue, wouldn't it be insane to re-format your hard drive every time you deleted something... ;)

13 years 1 month ago #34540 by arkady001
Personal experience of myself and every other photographers working for HM Armed Forces since 1999, The Ministry Of Defence, Metropolitan Police; HM Customs, US DoD, US Army Combat Camera Teams, USAF Combat Camera Teams, USMC Combat Photographers, advice from Lexar, Sandisk, Nikon UK and Canon UK.

We had issues back in 2000-2003 with images suddenly becoming corrupted when we attempted to download them, even though they viewed OK on the cameras. At other times some of the images on the cards would simply disappear after the camera had been left switched off for a period of time.

We contacted Lexar who had the MoD contract at the time and they advised us to format the cards in-camera after every job. In those days we only had 512Mb cards as the maximum size, but on a D1 or D1x it wasn't too much of a problem carrying four extra cards per camera body (which I still do out of habit, even though they're all now 16Gb cards...lol).

Your argument is flawed by the way - you can't de-frag a CF card the same way you can a computer hard drive. Which you still have to do from time to time...

13 years 1 month ago #34542 by Kip
I said format the drive; not de-frag. but thanks for the info :)

13 years 1 month ago #34543 by arkady001
I saw what you wrote - my point was that you cannot carry out routine maintenance on a CF card the same way you can with a PC hard drive - so your argument was flawed.

13 years 1 month ago #34545 by Rob pix4u2
Ah the voice of experience - I reformat after every shoot

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 1 month ago #34553 by Kip
I think more issues are due to trying to write over the capacity of the card during a burst of raw & jpeg; pulling the card before the write process is done; trying to shoot as battery is dying.
Regardless the point is moot as everyone will do what they want.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #34574 by Stealthy Ninja

arkady001 wrote: Format the card after every job - always, always, always.

Transfer images to computer - back-up to sepate hard drive - reformat card ready for next job.

Any issues you'll ever get with a CF card are almost always the result of deleting images rather than re-formatting the card.

It only takes five seconds to do.

Problems come with corrupted file structures which, assuming isn't connected to a physical problem with the card, can be corrected with formatting. It's not necessarily the fault of NOT formatting, formatting is like taking preventative medicine (or the cure). That said, it's not like not formatting all the time is gonna ruin your card.

But sure, it doesn't take that long to do if you're worried or wanna be sure. ;)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024