Why are my picture grainy?

13 years 1 month ago #36479 by Prayer4all
The other day I took some pictures, it was very cloudy. Well when I got them on the computer all of them had alot of grain. I had the ISO around 1000 to give me more light, so why do I see grain?

13 years 1 month ago #36480 by 2myboys
From my understanding, the higher the ISO, the more noise. But that is what I heard, I am not completely sure about it.

13 years 1 month ago #36481 by TaY9

2myboys wrote: From my understanding, the higher the ISO, the more noise. But that is what I heard, I am not completely sure about it.

You are correct. The higher the ISO, especially around ISO 1000 with lower end cameras, you will see more noise (grain).

13 years 1 month ago #36482 by Prayer4all
Thanks. That sucks. The pictures are really bad. Is there any way I can get rid of the noise?

13 years 1 month ago #36483 by TaY9
You can with a photoshop plug in called noise ninja.

13 years 1 month ago #36484 by 2myboys

TaY9 wrote: You can with a photoshop plug in called noise ninja.

Noise Ninja? Is it free? cuz I could use something to get remove noise from my pictures too.

13 years 1 month ago #36485 by TaY9
Yes it is a free download.

13 years 1 month ago #36486 by Prayer4all
Thanks a million. Hopefully I can save these pictures.

13 years 1 month ago #36497 by Screamin Scott
There are sveral noise removal programs out there. The free onesare just so-so...The problem lies in the fact that when they remove the noise, they also remove details & thus the photos are not as sharp. The newer cameras have less problems with noise as opposed to older ones & the "pro" versions do even better...It all comes at a price though. No getting around spending more to get better results...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #36875 by Patrick2504
I would be interested to hear what kind of camera you use!!

The grain is because you have ramped up the ISO to get a more acceptable shutter speed in the light allowed. Once you have that much grain I dont care what you do with ninja and all the rest, you cant get rid of it without compromising the quality of the image.

Some cameras (usually DSLR's) have a high ISO noise reduction feature which helps a bit but never really gets the result perfect.

Alternative is to keep the iso low, use a tripod or set the camera on a solid surface, NO NOISE !!

Patrick

13 years 1 month ago #36878 by Baydream

Patrick2504 wrote: I would be interested to hear what kind of camera you use!!

The grain is because you have ramped up the ISO to get a more acceptable shutter speed in the light allowed. Once you have that much grain I dont care what you do with ninja and all the rest, you cant get rid of it without compromising the quality of the image.

Some cameras (usually DSLR's) have a high ISO noise reduction feature which helps a bit but never really gets the result perfect.

Alternative is to keep the iso low, use a tripod or set the camera on a solid surface, NO NOISE !!

Patrick

Looks like a Sony a290 from the profile.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #36955 by Joves
If the Sony a290 is one of the older models then it will be much noisier over the newer models. The only reason I have upgraded is for the higher ISO with less noise. For now my D300 serves my needs.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024