best macro lens for flowers

13 years 1 month ago #39076 by 520snic
I plan on shooting mainly flowers, not insects, or anything else close up. What is a good macro lens to have to shoot only flowers?

13 years 1 month ago #39077 by stephenlite4
50mm range would be good

13 years 1 month ago #39080 by Baydream

stephenlite4 wrote: 50mm range would be good

Question. Would a 35mm on a crop sensor camera be a better choice? Thta would translate to a 50 on a full frame. I sure don't know the answer.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #39083 by 520snic

I already have a 50mm lens. Can I use that? Or is there a 50mm macro lens?

13 years 1 month ago #39085 by stephenlite4

520snic wrote:

If you reverse the 50mm and attach it to the camera you can shoot macro with the 50mm lens you already have.

13 years 1 month ago #39086 by 520snic
Awesome. How do I attached it?

13 years 1 month ago #39087 by stephenlite4

Baydream wrote:

Question. Would a 35mm on a crop sensor camera be a better choice? Thta would translate to a 50 on a full frame. I sure don't know the answer.

I don't know the answer either. Sorry.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #39088 by Baydream

stephenlite4 wrote:

520snic wrote:

If you reverse the 50mm and attach it to the camera you can shoot macro with the 50mm lens you already have.

That does require an adapter? Correct? Do you have a source or brand suggestion?
OP has a Nikon D3000 but I am interested in Canon. Other folks here have suggested extension tubes for macro. I'm just learning macro
My18-55 will focus to about 9 inches. Need to get closer?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #39089 by stephenlite4

520snic wrote: Awesome. How do I attached it?

With an adaptor, attach to the lens, then to the camera.

13 years 1 month ago #39093 by Screamin Scott
There are macro lenses in the 50mm range. Using your 50mm standard lens reversed requires a reversing ring (Nikon's is the BR2 (IIRC))...One point I'd make about reversing a lens is that unless you are shooting tiny flowers, it may bring you too close to encompass the entire flower. Plus your meter will not work, so you will have to manually determine the exposure as well...A small extension tubeor a close up lens (dual element version that screws into the filter threads) might serve you better but you will have limitations (metering or lack of infinity focus)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #39098 by crystal

Baydream wrote: quote]

That does require an adapter? Correct? Do you have a source or brand suggestion?
OP has a Nikon D3000 but I am interested in Canon. Other folks here have suggested extension tubes for macro. I'm just learning macro
My18-55 will focus to about 9 inches. Need to get closer?

I have never shot reverse lens, but I have heard of several photographers who have and take incredible shots. It does require an adapter.
Here is an adapter that I think you would need...
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/82174-REG...dapter_Canon_to.html

If you don't go this way, you could always buy the screw on macro lenses. I'm not a fan of them, but they do work. I'm not crazy about them because when I was using them, I always had to take them off to shoot non macro. It's easier to snap on a lens, instead of a filter. But those macro filters is a good start to get into macro photography. Without spending the $ on a macro lens itself.
13 years 1 month ago #39101 by crystal

520snic wrote: I plan on shooting mainly flowers, not insects, or anything else close up. What is a good macro lens to have to shoot only flowers?

I have a 105mm macro lens. It works well on flowers. Anywhere from your typical everyday normal range flower shot to 1:1 close up and personal shot.
13 years 4 weeks ago #39375 by lfortier
You might consider a Phoenix 100mm Macro if you're trying to save money.

It's inexpensively made but is sharp as a tack. (Check some of the reports on Google).

I paid $119 on EBay and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Easy to work with and very sharp (did I say that already).

Also available at Adorama and B&H.

Attachments:
13 years 3 weeks ago #40084 by effron
There is no best. There are lots of macro lenses that are stunning...........:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #40093 by Screamin Scott

effron wrote: There is no best. There are lots of macro lenses that are stunning...........:)

So true...If you ask 25 different macro shooters what they recommend, they will all recommend whichever lens it is that they own...I've got 4 different macro lenses going from 55mm to 135mm but my most used is a 105mm...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024