best macro lens for flowers

10 years 3 weeks ago #39076 by 520snic
I plan on shooting mainly flowers, not insects, or anything else close up. What is a good macro lens to have to shoot only flowers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 weeks ago #39077 by stephenlite4
50mm range would be good

10 years 3 weeks ago #39080 by Baydream

stephenlite4 wrote: 50mm range would be good

Question. Would a 35mm on a crop sensor camera be a better choice? Thta would translate to a 50 on a full frame. I sure don't know the answer.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

10 years 3 weeks ago #39083 by 520snic

I already have a 50mm lens. Can I use that? Or is there a 50mm macro lens?

10 years 3 weeks ago #39085 by stephenlite4

520snic wrote:

If you reverse the 50mm and attach it to the camera you can shoot macro with the 50mm lens you already have.

10 years 3 weeks ago #39086 by 520snic
Awesome. How do I attached it?

10 years 3 weeks ago #39087 by stephenlite4

Baydream wrote:

Question. Would a 35mm on a crop sensor camera be a better choice? Thta would translate to a 50 on a full frame. I sure don't know the answer.

I don't know the answer either. Sorry.

10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #39088 by Baydream

stephenlite4 wrote:

520snic wrote:

If you reverse the 50mm and attach it to the camera you can shoot macro with the 50mm lens you already have.

That does require an adapter? Correct? Do you have a source or brand suggestion?
OP has a Nikon D3000 but I am interested in Canon. Other folks here have suggested extension tubes for macro. I'm just learning macro
My18-55 will focus to about 9 inches. Need to get closer?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

10 years 3 weeks ago #39089 by stephenlite4

520snic wrote: Awesome. How do I attached it?

With an adaptor, attach to the lens, then to the camera.

10 years 3 weeks ago #39093 by Screamin Scott
There are macro lenses in the 50mm range. Using your 50mm standard lens reversed requires a reversing ring (Nikon's is the BR2 (IIRC))...One point I'd make about reversing a lens is that unless you are shooting tiny flowers, it may bring you too close to encompass the entire flower. Plus your meter will not work, so you will have to manually determine the exposure as well...A small extension tubeor a close up lens (dual element version that screws into the filter threads) might serve you better but you will have limitations (metering or lack of infinity focus)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

10 years 3 weeks ago #39098 by crystal

Baydream wrote: quote]

That does require an adapter? Correct? Do you have a source or brand suggestion?
OP has a Nikon D3000 but I am interested in Canon. Other folks here have suggested extension tubes for macro. I'm just learning macro
My18-55 will focus to about 9 inches. Need to get closer?

I have never shot reverse lens, but I have heard of several photographers who have and take incredible shots. It does require an adapter.
Here is an adapter that I think you would need...
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/82174-REG...dapter_Canon_to.html

If you don't go this way, you could always buy the screw on macro lenses. I'm not a fan of them, but they do work. I'm not crazy about them because when I was using them, I always had to take them off to shoot non macro. It's easier to snap on a lens, instead of a filter. But those macro filters is a good start to get into macro photography. Without spending the $ on a macro lens itself.

10 years 3 weeks ago #39101 by crystal

520snic wrote: I plan on shooting mainly flowers, not insects, or anything else close up. What is a good macro lens to have to shoot only flowers?

I have a 105mm macro lens. It works well on flowers. Anywhere from your typical everyday normal range flower shot to 1:1 close up and personal shot.

10 years 3 weeks ago #39375 by lfortier
You might consider a Phoenix 100mm Macro if you're trying to save money.

It's inexpensively made but is sharp as a tack. (Check some of the reports on Google).

I paid $119 on EBay and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Easy to work with and very sharp (did I say that already).

Also available at Adorama and B&H.

Attachments:

10 years 3 weeks ago #40084 by effron
There is no best. There are lots of macro lenses that are stunning...........:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

10 years 3 weeks ago #40093 by Screamin Scott

effron wrote: There is no best. There are lots of macro lenses that are stunning...........:)

So true...If you ask 25 different macro shooters what they recommend, they will all recommend whichever lens it is that they own...I've got 4 different macro lenses going from 55mm to 135mm but my most used is a 105mm...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic S1H is a video-first mirrorless camera that debuted in 2020. Learn all about its specs, features, price, and more in this comprehensive review.

Apr 21, 2021

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III review, learn all about its specs, features, video capabilities, price, and more.

Apr 15, 2021

The Canon PowerShot G7 X II is a few years old now, but does it still hold up as a solid point-and-shoot camera in 2021? Let's find out!

Apr 14, 2021

The Sony a5000 is quite a few years old now, but it still offers specs and features that make it a good entry-level camera.

Apr 07, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

When printing your photos, you might consider one of these beautiful metal print options to make your image that much more impressive.

Apr 21, 2021

The Panasonic S1H is a video-first mirrorless camera that debuted in 2020. Learn all about its specs, features, price, and more in this comprehensive review.

Apr 21, 2021

If you're like me, you have tons of old photos you need to sort through. This means you'll need to restore faded photos, cull bad photos, and backup digital files.

Apr 20, 2021

There are many ways to upgrade your camera - but typically they come at a cost. Try these budget-friendly photography accessories instead.

Apr 20, 2021

Losing photography clients might be the result of any number of mistakes you're making. Learn how to keep your clients happy with these tips.

Apr 19, 2021

Learning how to position lights for photography will give you the skills you need to take better quality portraits, products photos, and much more.

Apr 19, 2021

Using these street photography techniques, you'll learn how to improve the quality of your candid images and create color or black and white images that impress.

Apr 15, 2021

In this beginner photography gear guide, learn about the essential items you need in your kit to enhance your ability to take high-quality photos.

Apr 15, 2021