Red Eye

13 years 4 months ago #9898 by Meggy_Meg
My husband and I have 2 dogs, 3 cats and a rabbit and I love to take photos of them every chance I get. But they always have red eye. I use a Nikon D3000 and tried the "reduce red eye" function." It helped, but the eyes still glow. How do I get rid of red eye entirely?

13 years 4 months ago #9911 by Joves
Animals eyes will redeye easier with flash. You can try using a diffuser over the flash to kill the brightness. A piece of white tracing paper or a white coffee filter will work as well. You will need to manually adjust your flash from the menu to get the right illumination because the camera will automatically adjust for the shot not adjusting for the diffusion.

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #9921 by Stealthy Ninja
Joves is right (though if the flash uses TTL metering it should adjust for the diffusion because it will detect the light from the flash).

Additionally, red eye is caused when the flash bounces off the retina of the person/animal. So avoiding direct flash will do more than any red eye reduction function.

Red eye reduction usually uses a pre-flash(es) to shrink the pupil down, reducing the chances of light being able to bounce off the retina.

So yeah, diffusing it will help because the light is more scattered about.

Also, if you buy a speedlight you can bounce the flash (or put it on a bracket) to avoid redeye too.
13 years 4 months ago #10088 by Cameron555
Try to avoid facing your pets directly. The light from the flash hits the back of the eye, which is red, and brings iback out to the camera. Remember light travels back on the same path it travels forward. Think of playing pool and making a good bankshot. If you at an slight angle to your pets, then the llight will travel away from the camera at the same angle and you can avoid the "dreaded red eye." Reduction features on cameras can only do so much.

13 years 4 months ago #10268 by Scotty

Cameron555 wrote: Try to avoid facing your pets directly. The light from the flash hits the back of the eye, which is red, and brings iback out to the camera. Remember light travels back on the same path it travels forward. Think of playing pool and making a good bankshot. If you at an slight angle to your pets, then the llight will travel away from the camera at the same angle and you can avoid the "dreaded red eye." Reduction features on cameras can only do so much.

Stealthy beat you to the punch ;)

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10269 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Cameron555 wrote: Try to avoid facing your pets directly. The light from the flash hits the back of the eye, which is red, and brings iback out to the camera. Remember light travels back on the same path it travels forward. Think of playing pool and making a good bankshot. If you at an slight angle to your pets, then the llight will travel away from the camera at the same angle and you can avoid the "dreaded red eye." Reduction features on cameras can only do so much.

Stealthy beat you to the punch ;)

LOL that's why they call me Stealthy. ;)
13 years 4 months ago #10317 by Rob pix4u2
You can also try bouncing off of a reflector/ white surface or use a bracket to get the flash off of the lens axis

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 4 months ago #10320 by Scotty

Rob pix4u2 wrote: You can also try bouncing off of a reflector/ white surface or use a bracket to get the flash off of the lens axis

Stealthy beat you too.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10467 by bjmartelli
I was glad to read your explanation here. I learned the same thing by trial and error. Before that, my dog always looked like it was the devil's spawn ready to attack or something. Now you can tell what a sweetie he really is.

13 years 4 months ago #10469 by luckywish1
red eye is cause of a flash was on it happen to me too that i how i learned by my mistakes

13 years 4 months ago #10473 by luckywish1
here is the picture of my dog lucky

Attachments:
13 years 4 months ago #10607 by Stealthy Ninja

luckywish1 wrote: red eye is cause of a flash was on it happen to me too that i how i learned by my mistakes

Actually, as was explained before, redeye is caused by DIRECT flash. Bounce the flash or get it off camera somehow (or diffuse it perhaps if you can't do those things) and your problem is solved.

On this topic a lot of people say "flash photography sucks, I prefer natural light" these people (very often) just don't know how to use a flash properly. It's like sticking your camera on full auto and wondering why all your shots suck. LOL

:)
13 years 4 months ago #10609 by luckywish1
gigggles

13 years 4 months ago #10617 by Stealthy Ninja

luckywish1 wrote: gigggles

13 years 3 months ago #11632 by Litebox Fotos
My goodness this is confusing.

So you're saying if I point my flash at someone they will get red eye? How do I use a flash then? If I don't point it at them, won't the light just be flying away?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024