Just started B&W and I wonder if I am on the right track

10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #302803 by Sherri-Harris
This is my first real post production B&W shot. Did I get it right of over do it?

Attachments:
10 years 6 months ago #302813 by Sherri-Harris
figures I can't load the B&W (can I do that from my ViewBug page?)

10 years 6 months ago #302833 by Sherri-Harris
Guess I have to go with one of the proofs, I can't load the best one.

Attachments:
10 years 6 months ago #302837 by KCook
Looks good to me. The blacks are fully black. Lots of contrast. Lots of nice texture. :thumbsup:

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #302839 by Sherri-Harris
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. I keep looking at the bottom left and there is a stick or something showing up in the frame which is distracting me to no end. I didn't see it earlier, drats!

10 years 6 months ago #302875 by KCook
Ahh! I never noticed the stick until you mentioned it. Prolly a Mars / Venus thing :silly:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #302877 by garyrhook
Yes, there is a stick there that needs to go.

But I'm going to disagree here. Please note that it's becoming increasingly obvious (to me) that I do not see things the way others do, what appeals to me does not necessarily appeal to others, and what works for others leaves me cold.

That said...

Yes, the conversion has deep black. but everything else is just gray, and the detail in the shutters and bricks is completely lost (to my eye). I would suggest working with the tones more to brighten something in the image to add more range. As it stands it has no drama.

Re: viewbug. If ViewBug let's you grab direct links to images, you can use the link tool in the editor to add a reference. Otherwise, you'll need to upload the image directly to PT, or perhaps use Flickr (which allows direct links). Personally, links to images for this forum are a Bad Thing in that, if the image goes away, the thread becomes useless. Just upload the image here so that it stays for posterity.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherri-Harris
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #302903 by hghlndr6
I agree with Gary. You have black and grays; you have nothing white. Look at your histogram (attached). There is no data above level 244.

I'd recommend doing a levels adjustment (something I always do with B&W conversions) and set a real white point … pick one of those areas on the wall, bottom right of the shutter, that looks whitest in the color image. See how that looks. Often, simply setting a real black and a real white gets you a better range of gray tones. If needed, you can adjust the black point and also the mid gray tones.
Attachments:
10 years 6 months ago #302905 by Scotty
Curious, how are you doing the B&W conversion?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #302963 by Hassner
I think the darker areas (shutters) needs a bit more contrast.
I would have taken this photo from a lower angle to have the verticals straight.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #303343 by Sherri-Harris
In Photoshop CC I go to Layers-New Adjustment Layer-Black and White. I have been playing with several of the things mentioned earlier and I can get the shutters and the brick to get really good contrast and texture but I am having a very difficult time with the white and adjusting the gray areas and forget about getting rid of the stupid stick. I might just go back get the shot again without it hahahaha!

10 years 6 months ago #303345 by Scotty

Sherri-Harris wrote: In Photoshop CC I go to Layers-New Adjustment Layer-Black and White. I have been playing with several of the things mentioned earlier and I can get the shutters and the brick to get really good contrast and texture but I am having a very difficult time with the white and adjusting the gray areas and forget about getting rid of the stupid stick. I might just go back get the shot again without it hahahaha!

May I take a crack at it?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #303351 by garyrhook

Sherri-Harris wrote: In Photoshop CC I go to Layers-New Adjustment Layer-Black and White. I have been playing with several of the things mentioned earlier and I can get the shutters and the brick to get really good contrast and texture but I am having a very difficult time with the white and adjusting the gray areas and forget about getting rid of the stupid stick. I might just go back get the shot again without it hahahaha!

Time for masking.

Add the B&W adjustment layer, and a levels adjustment layer. Then start with the levels and get white and black set. Once you have a range of tones, start messing with the B&W adjustments.

You may need to mask out some areas and adjustment separately (e.g. the shutters only) to get what you really want.

The stick can probably be handled quite simply with a healing brush. Another new skill to learn :-)

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #303353 by Sherri-Harris
Yes by all means. I am playing with channels currently but I'm stuck at channel mixing. I can't seem to get it out of gray scale into monotone so I can open the channel mixer (I think I said that right). This is so exciting!

10 years 6 months ago #303371 by Sherri-Harris
Oh please do. Nothing would please me more than to have an expert complete my vision. By the way, I am using a simple point and shoot camera and I only just started using photoshop a week ago. I have learned so much already. I can hardly stand waiting to get a real camera.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024