Lancaster, Manheim Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, USA

Attachments:
2 years 3 months ago #731008 by Nikon Shooter
The higher contrast applied makes it look more
like steel wool!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 3 months ago #731031 by ImJenny
Hi Nikon Shooter! It does, but I do really like the gritty look it produces. Hope you are well and staying warm!

2 years 3 months ago #731075 by Rohan Tushar
Nice shapes and pattern. Good contrast. 

2 years 3 months ago #731087 by ImJenny
Thank you, Rohan! I appreciate you looking and taking the time to comment!

2 years 3 months ago #731103 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Jenny

Beaut mono treatment for such a simple subject. In Downunder-land farmers tend to stack 'em flat side to flat side ... so to see it this way is a novelty

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 years 3 months ago #731131 by ImJenny
Hi Phil! How are you? Hoping you're enjoying your new year. I live in Pennsylvania Dutch country (Lancaster County) alongside of the Amish people. Are you familiar with the Amish? They came here in the 1700s, and they still live the same way for 300 years (LOL) - no electric, horse and buggy, horse-drawn farming equipment, etc. We have people visiting here from all over the world just to experience the Amish life; so Lancaster is a tourist trap. It's strange here in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, with the mix of Amish alongside and mingling amongst progressively modern lifestyles of us "English" (as the Amish call anyone not Amish). Lancaster County progressively takes advantage (culturally, industrially, etc) of it's position between New York City, Philadelphia, Pittsburg, and Baltimore/Washington DC.

Anyway, the Amish are a big-time farming community. They have always stacked hay in rectangular bales, but lately I've been seeing these rolls scattered throughout their fields. I haven't found out why that would be a better way.

I guess I really should do an Amish photo project, but it seems like everyone and their brother has done that. Also I've lived here for 30 years so it's become common place for me.

Hope things are going well down there, and you're enjoying your summer, Phil!
Your Friend,
Jenny S:o)

P.S. Here's a link on the Amish if you're interested in reading about/seeing pictures of them ... www.discoverlancaster.com/amish/

2 years 3 months ago #731138 by Shadowfixer1
Round bales require less manpower. Rectangular bales take more than one person to do it efficiently. When I was in college I worked on a farm and we put up 10,000 bales of hay and 5,000 bales of straw a year. There was generally 3 of us working. The round baler came along and reduced that to one person. You don't have to depend on the help being on time, sick or whatever. The farmer's schedule is his alone at that time. He can bale all night if he wants to. 
2 years 3 months ago #731198 by ImJenny
Wow! Thanks for the information, Shadowfixer.That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate you taking the time to explain. Depending on help is definitely a headache these days! Lol! Hope you are well. Thanks again!

2 years 3 months ago #731235 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Jenny

Thanks for the good-oil on your Amish compatriots ... and we Downunder are (mostly) well aware of US activities along with much of the international world ... our education system, books and TV does beaut things !!

The pity is (it seems to us outside the US) is that the US media show such little regard for the rest of the world. There was a classic 20+/- yrs ago when a BBC Panorama team filmed US Marines in Iraq - and the marines stated that "before we got sent here we had never heard of Iraq and here we are trying to sort out ........ "

Aussies enjoy ribbing US visitors with things like 'kangaroos are trained as taxis - hop onto one and it will take you home, just put your money in its pouch and it will start" and they believe it (dunno how or why) ... and there are many other items as well :p

Phil

2 years 3 months ago #731269 by ImJenny
Hello Phil! US media shows little regard for our own citizens here as well! Lol! I'm not a fan of our media at all not to mention a lot of our education system these days. For what it's worth, I have a lot of respect for you all Down Under! Love your kangaroo taxi story. I know a few who would fall for that for sure. Hope you're having a great weekend. It is freezing here - lows in the single digits and 0 degree wind chills. Blah! Your Friend, Jenny S:o)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024