Looooooong Reach! What is suggested? Please vote....

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #171532 by amitkch
Looking for a longer reach with my canon t2i. These are the options.. please suggest:

Sigma 50-500/4.5-6.3 OS HSM
--- So far looks good, lot of people seem to praise this one
Sigma APO 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM
--- Less costly.. but IQ?
Sigma 120-400 mm f/4.5-5.6
--- Less costly.. the reach looks ok to me but IQ?
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM
--- Seems to have issue with pull/push zoom and dust, nit sure
Tamron AF 200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
--- No OS, seems to be an issue at 500mm landholding is needed for my kinda shoot.
12 years 5 months ago #171534 by Stealthy Ninja
100-400 is what I'd go for. Or the 50-500 from sigma perhaps.
12 years 5 months ago #171571 by TheNissanMan
I've had the 100-400 for just over 18 months and not got a problem with any dust getting in, it is also by far my most used lens and lives on the camera.

The image quality is also superb which you would associate with an L Series lens.

12 years 5 months ago #171587 by chasrich
I have the Sigma 50-500. It is very heavy after a few shots and I have a soft focus in the 400-500 range which I think can be calibrated out in the shop. It was the zoom range as well as the length that attracted me but the real draw was the chicks I can now pickup...:rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #171623 by Baydream
Hand holding a 400-500 lenses at anything less than very high shutter speed can be iffy at best. Some can do it with a lot of practice while others will always need a support (tripod, monopod, tree :whistle: ) to get a decent shot.
The faster the lens, the less of an issue this becomes. That extra stop that SN and others include can make a big difference.

When you mention a small price difference, consider how long you will have the lens and how much per month that will add. Only $5 per month over 5 years is $300. Since, with care, you will use this lens for 10 years or more, the cost per month drops, and should you decide to upgrade later, the resale or trade-in value will increase.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #171626 by TheNissanMan
Not necessarily with IS turned on :)

The following it does take some practive but I find I get good results and would hardly call myself a good tog :)

12 years 5 months ago #171677 by KCook
Unless you're a birder, those are very long focal length. I'd be tempted to use an extender with a more modest focal length.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 5 months ago #171967 by bhowdy
Can you tell us a little bit about what you want to shoot with this Loooooong reach lens? It can make a difference in my answer. The t2i will not take tele-extenders well with some lenses (unless using manual focus)

Most long focal length zoom lenses are somewhat soft at maximum focal length. Initial thoughts are to go for the Canon 100-400 ... hard to beat an "L" lens.

Have you considered a long prime, or is the zoom ability a factor? .... most folks find that they are at max length 99% of the time.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

12 years 5 months ago #172052 by Stealthy Ninja

TheNissanMan wrote: I've had the 100-400 for just over 18 months and not got a problem with any dust getting in, it is also by far my most used lens and lives on the camera.

The image quality is also superb which you would associate with an L Series lens.

Ah yes, ye' olde dust pump. ;)
12 years 5 months ago #172063 by amitkch

bhowdy wrote: Can you tell us a little bit about what you want to shoot with this Loooooong reach lens? It can make a difference in my answer. The t2i will not take tele-extenders well with some lenses (unless using manual focus)

Most long focal length zoom lenses are somewhat soft at maximum focal length. Initial thoughts are to go for the Canon 100-400 ... hard to beat an "L" lens.

Have you considered a long prime, or is the zoom ability a factor? .... most folks find that they are at max length 99% of the time.

Mostly for country side fauna / flora / birding and some wildlife stuff in India.
As of now I take 70-80% of my shots at 250mm with my 55-250 and somehow feel that the reach is not enough.

Sigma 50-500 seems to have good reviews and gives a better convenience over cannon with 10X. Should this be ignored?
12 years 5 months ago #172067 by Stealthy Ninja
It's a place in Australia.
12 years 5 months ago #172156 by bhowdy
Sounds like you have made a decision .... Get the Sigma 50-500 and have fun! There is nothing wrong with that lens. I would recommend "Googling" the phrase "Long Lens Photography Technique" and read those articles. There is an art to correctly using a 500mm lens and getting a high keeper rate on your images. Additionally shoot using a quality tripod every chance that you get ..... can you hand hold the kit? Sure .... will the overall quality of your photos improve when using a tripod? YES

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

12 years 5 months ago #173012 by TMR 001
I would love to help on your suggestion, but I really don't know anything about those telephotos you mention. All I know is, I wouldn't mind having one. lol

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024