60D or 7D??

12 years 4 months ago #188694 by jlafuent
I have decided to get a second body. I have a T1i already.
I use just for hobby, for vacation and nature shots, sometimes to shoot my daughter playing or ridding her bike, but I would like to apply to get into a soccer match to take pictures there, and regular, party or personal events shoots.

Regardless of the price, any advice if I should get the 60D or the 7D? I kinda know there features, I've read reviews about what both have and can do. But I would like advice from people that have used them before.

12 years 4 months ago #188719 by Scotty
7D > 60d.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #188721 by jameslatimer
I would move from the t1i to the t3i or the 60D because of the adjustable view finder to use the camera at different levels and size and weight of the bodies.

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #188724 by shelland
I had T1i as my first SLR, and was looking to upgrade for better high ISO quality for my son's sports (and the higher shots per second was nice too).

I drooled over the 7D for a long time, but then I was talking to a Canon rep at a local camera store learned that the 60D has the same sensor. That made me start re-evaluating my purchase.

Ultimately, as much as I wanted a 7D I could not justify it. I kept asking myself what it offered over the 60D that I NEEDED. There was simply nothing that it offered extra that was worth spending nearly twice as much for me.

If you have an unlimited budget, by all means go with the 7D. But if not, look for what features it offers over the 60D, and ask yourself how much those features are worth. You obviously have to factor in what you'll be doing with it into that equation as well. The 7D is without a doubt a better camera - but whether it's worth the extra money is something only you can ultimately decide.

Good luck!

BTW - I have zero regrets with my decision.

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

The following user(s) said Thank You: jlafuent
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #188725 by Scotty

shelland wrote: I had T1i as my first SLR, and was looking to upgrade for better high ISO quality for my son's sports (and the higher shots per second was nice too).

I drooled over the 7D for a long time, but then I was talking to a Canon rep at a local camera store learned that the 60D has the same sensor. That made me start re-evaluating my purchase.

Ultimately, as much as I wanted a 7D I could not justify it. I kept asking myself what it offered over the 60D that I NEEDED. There was simply nothing that it offered extra that was worth spending nearly twice as much for me.

If you have an unlimited budget, by all means go with the 7D. But if not, look for what features it offers over the 60D, and ask yourself how much those features are worth. You obviously have to factor in what you'll be doing with it into that equation as well. The 7D is without a doubt a better camera - but whether it's worth the extra money is something only you can ultimately decide.

Good luck!

BTW - I have zero regrets with my decision.

7D has better high ISO's which is a huge selling point.

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #188761 by chakkaradeep

Scotty wrote:

60D has the same ISO specification as 7D. The advantage of going to 7D is you get 19AF points, as opposed 9 in 60D. 60D is almost similar to 7D, very subtle changes IMO.

You can compare them both here

Cheers,
Chaks

12 years 4 months ago #188765 by Stealthy Ninja
It's not just the number of AF points. It's the fact that the 7D can actually track an object. This is handy a lot more than you think. For example. If you use a 5Dii to shoot you'll likely have to use the centre point to focus and recompose the shot. This is fine but when you move you're moving the plane of focus too. When you have a shallow DOF this can be the difference between the shot being in focus and out of focus. With the 7D you can just move to one of the outer points, lock onto the, let's say eye. Then take the shot. If you move slightly before taking the shot then the camera will adjust much better than a 60D will.

Also being able to track focus obviously has advantages when shooting anything moving.

You really won't understand how bad the AF is on a 60D or 5Dii or Rebel until you try something decent. I didn't realize how freakin' bad the 5Dii was until I got a 1DIV. This actually was a major reason for my switch to Nikon. Nikon do AF right.

Don't forget a stronger body in the 7D too. The 60D's body was a big joke in the beginning (till Canon guys justified it in their mind IMHO). Lots of people still consider the 60D a bit of a backwards step from the 50D which was a decent camera. In fact I'd say Canon started going down hill in this range from the 40D. The 40D was a pretty awesome camera.
12 years 4 months ago #188882 by KCook
Even with my 50D the AF tracking in the slow continuous mode is way better than the fast continuous mode. I gave up on using the fast mode, unless I know the subject distance is just not changing.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 4 months ago #188905 by Gary Trent photography
The speed of AF tracking is one thing,
the accuracy of your composition is yet another.

As Kelly says: "I gave up on using the fast mode, unless I know the subject distance is just not changing"

Really, it's not the instrument, it's how you play it.
Canon EOS 60D user.

GT . . . . :cheers:

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 4 months ago #189103 by Stealthy Ninja

Gary Trent photography wrote: The speed of AF tracking is one thing,
the accuracy of your composition is yet another.

As Kelly says: "I gave up on using the fast mode, unless I know the subject distance is just not changing"

Really, it's not the instrument, it's how you play it.
Canon EOS 60D user.

GT . . . . :cheers:

50/60D can't track at all really. They just have Ai-Servo, but the tracking options are nonexistent. And their Ai-Servo just doesn't work much at all. They're just not made for moving subjects. If you want to focus on moving things, skip the 60D.

As for your point on composition, while it's true, it isn't really a valid point here as that's not reliant on the camera. We're talking camera differences and you can compose the same shot with either camera.
12 years 4 months ago #189104 by Scotty

chakkaradeep wrote:

Scotty wrote:

60D has the same ISO specification as 7D. The advantage of going to 7D is you get 19AF points, as opposed 9 in 60D. 60D is almost similar to 7D, very subtle changes IMO.

I was not aware of that ISO fact. I stand corrected. :cheers:

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #189147 by shelland

Scotty wrote:

chakkaradeep wrote:

Scotty wrote:

I was not aware of that ISO fact. I stand corrected. :cheers:

The 60D and 7D have the exact same sensor.

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

12 years 4 months ago #189166 by jlafuent
I've read that though both have the same ISO settings, the 7D handles noise much better, despite having same sensor, is that what you all mean?

12 years 3 months ago #196221 by ElSchultzy
If you are intending to do a lot of shooting in harsh country, (windy,sandy,humid) and may knock it around a bit climbing or trashing through scrub go the D7. You'll have a blast with either of them.

ElSchultzy
Photography: My love affair with "Pachamama"

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #196223 by chasrich
I use the 60D and as mentioned earlier there are some tracking problems with the AF. I'm saving for a 7D as my next step up in bodies.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024