EOS 6D is Officially Announced

11 years 7 months ago #251561 by rmeyer7
I was surprised we didn't have a thread about it yet, so I decided to start one!

Official Press Release

Some of the basics:
20.2 MP
11 AF Points (center is cross-type)
ISO Range 100-25600 (expandable to 50-102400)
First Canon full-frame camera with built-in WiFi and GPS
Price is $2,099

So...what do you think? If you were in the market for a full-frame Canon in this price range, would you go for the new 6D or the 5D mk.II that's a couple hundred dollars less?

11 years 7 months ago #251565 by DavidM
Canon really put some nice goodies in this camera! thanks for sharing this, hadn't seen it yet.

11 years 7 months ago #251571 by Scotty

rmeyer7 wrote: I was surprised we didn't have a thread about it yet, so I decided to start one!

Official Press Release

Some of the basics:
20.2 MP
11 AF Points (center is cross-type)
ISO Range 100-25600 (expandable to 50-102400)
First Canon full-frame camera with built-in WiFi and GPS
Price is $2,099

So...what do you think? If you were in the market for a full-frame Canon in this price range, would you go for the new 6D or the 5D mk.II that's a couple hundred dollars less?

11 AF points?

This isn't going to end good.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #251581 by KCook
Depends more on the marketing than anything (for me). If both Canon and Nikon bundle these new bodies with a set of decent primes (including a WA), then low ball wins.

tightwad

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #251582 by Scotty

KCook wrote: Depends more on the marketing than anything (for me). If both Canon and Nikon bundle these new bodies with a set of decent primes (including a WA), then low ball wins.

tightwad

Canon dropped the ball on this one.

The focus system is not on par with it's price point.

D600:
-24 MP Sony Sensor
-39 Point AF with 9 cross points (in a 3x3 grid in the center)
-Built in flash with wireless flash commander
-5.5 FPS
-1/4000 sec max shutter speed, 1/200 sec max flash sync
-Dual SD card slots
-100% viewfinder coverage, compatibility with DX lenses
-Optional wifi/GPS

6D:
-20MP sensor
-11 Point AF with 1 cross point (the center one)
-No built in flash
-4.5 FPS
-1/4000 sec max shutter speec, 1/180 sec max flash sync
-Single SD card slot
-97% viewfinder coverage, not compatible with EF-S lenses
-Built in Wifi/GPS

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #251598 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

KCook wrote: Depends more on the marketing than anything (for me). If both Canon and Nikon bundle these new bodies with a set of decent primes (including a WA), then low ball wins.

tightwad

Canon dropped the ball on this one.

D600:
-24 MP Sony Sensor
-5.5 FPS
-Dual SD card slots
-Optional wifi/GPS

6D:
-20MP sensor
-No built in flash
-4.5 FPS
-Single SD card slot
-Built in Wifi/GPS

Yeh Canon dropped the ball where it counts most (AF mainly) and added gps and wifi.

I am sure Canon fans will say how amazingly useful wifi and gps is now. ;)
11 years 7 months ago #251604 by rmeyer7

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote: Canon dropped the ball on this one.

D600:
-24 MP Sony Sensor
-5.5 FPS
-Dual SD card slots
-Optional wifi/GPS

6D:
-20MP sensor
-No built in flash
-4.5 FPS
-Single SD card slot
-Built in Wifi/GPS

Yeh Canon dropped the ball where it counts most (AF mainly) and added gps and wifi.

Nah, even being a Canon fan I have to agree with both of you on this one. GPS and Wifi are nice novelty features as far as I'm concerned, but a better AF system is a real feature and this camera should have had it. It's not a worthy competitor to the D600.

11 years 7 months ago #251611 by Scotty

rmeyer7 wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote: Canon dropped the ball on this one.

D600:
-24 MP Sony Sensor
-5.5 FPS
-Dual SD card slots
-Optional wifi/GPS

6D:
-20MP sensor
-No built in flash
-4.5 FPS
-Single SD card slot
-Built in Wifi/GPS

Nah, even being a Canon fan I have to agree with both of you on this one. GPS and Wifi are nice novelty features as far as I'm concerned, but a better AF system is a real feature and this camera should have had it. It's not a worthy competitor to the D600.

I'd rather get the 5d Mark II for 1400-1500 at that point. (I had one).

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #251758 by rmeyer7
Just curious, from your experience with both does the 5D mk II have advantages and upgrades over the original 5D to make it worth a $1500 upgrade? I'm kind of on the fence about upgrading right now, was really hoping the 6D was going to be the camera that was finally a solid upgrade for me without stepping into the $3500 range...but it's not.

So now I'm wondering if the mk II would be worthwhile, or if I should just save some more pennies and pop for a mk III. What I really want is better AF and usable high ISO. I'm leaning toward saying no to the mk II because of the AF.

Then on the other hand, I'm also thinking about a 7D since the AF is good, but I'm not sure it can handle noise as well as the mk II with the smaller sensor. It's almost like Canon has designed their lineup to give people reasons to switch to Nikon.....

11 years 7 months ago #251784 by Scotty

rmeyer7 wrote: Just curious, from your experience with both does the 5D mk II have advantages and upgrades over the original 5D to make it worth a $1500 upgrade? I'm kind of on the fence about upgrading right now, was really hoping the 6D was going to be the camera that was finally a solid upgrade for me without stepping into the $3500 range...but it's not.

So now I'm wondering if the mk II would be worthwhile, or if I should just save some more pennies and pop for a mk III. What I really want is better AF and usable high ISO. I'm leaning toward saying no to the mk II because of the AF.

Then on the other hand, I'm also thinking about a 7D since the AF is good, but I'm not sure it can handle noise as well as the mk II with the smaller sensor. It's almost like Canon has designed their lineup to give people reasons to switch to Nikon.....

What is your current lineup?

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #251801 by Stealthy Ninja

rmeyer7 wrote: Just curious, from your experience with both does the 5D mk II have advantages and upgrades over the original 5D to make it worth a $1500 upgrade? I'm kind of on the fence about upgrading right now, was really hoping the 6D was going to be the camera that was finally a solid upgrade for me without stepping into the $3500 range...but it's not.

I owned a 5D and a 5Dii and know prople who own a 5Diii one of which owns my old 1Div and another of which use to own a 7D.

Of all the cameras I've mentioned the 5Diii is the best. Go for it.
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #251924 by rmeyer7

Scotty wrote: What is your current lineup?

As far as bodies I have the 5D and my old 400D Rebel.

Lenses - 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.8. Got my eye on a 135 f/2L as my next lens purchase.

I prefer shooting with the 24-105 f/4, I just find it has the focal range I want 90% of the time. But it's not super fast which is why I want to be able to push the ISO more. The 5D is already a bit too noisy above ISO 1000, so even for my faster lenses I want something that handles the high ISO better.

Stealthy Ninja wrote: I owned a 5D and a 5Dii and know prople who own a 5Diii one of which owns my old 1Div and another of which use to own a 7D.

Yeah, I'm thinking I may have to wait until I can afford to do that instead of compromising on features for the sake of price.

11 years 7 months ago #252259 by Stealthy Ninja

rmeyer7 wrote:

Scotty wrote: What is your current lineup?

As far as bodies I have the 5D and my old 400D Rebel.

Lenses - 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.8. Got my eye on a 135 f/2L as my next lens purchase.

I prefer shooting with the 24-105 f/4, I just find it has the focal range I want 90% of the time. But it's not super fast which is why I want to be able to push the ISO more. The 5D is already a bit too noisy above ISO 1000, so even for my faster lenses I want something that handles the high ISO better.

Stealthy Ninja wrote: I owned a 5D and a 5Dii and know prople who own a 5Diii one of which owns my old 1Div and another of which use to own a 7D.

Yeah, I'm thinking I may have to wait until I can afford to do that instead of compromising on features for the sake of price.

Trust me, having good tracking AF will change the way you shoot and the way you think about photography in general. I had a 40D then 5Dii and then 5D. When i bought the 1Div I understood why people were disappointed with the 5Dii AF and soon after that I switched to Nikon (because at that time Canon didn't have an affordable FF with good AF).

Wait and get the 5Diii.
11 years 7 months ago #252344 by rmeyer7
Sounds like solid advice. Guess I'll wait til they release a mk. iv and see what kind of price drops happen with the mk. iii.

11 years 7 months ago #252349 by Scotty

rmeyer7 wrote: Sounds like solid advice. Guess I'll wait til they release a mk. iv and see what kind of price drops happen with the mk. iii.

That'll probably be 2-3 years.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024