Canon Announces a New 24-70mm Midrange Zoom – Would You Sacrifice Aperture for Image Stabilization?

11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #259474 by PhotographyTalk

Image via Canon.com

After much speculation, Canon has officially announced a brand new lens, the EF 24-70mm f/4 , its first-ever midrange zoom with Image Stabilization (IS). The new lens will feature a constant f/4 aperture and a new macro function with a maximum magnifcation of .7x, allowing for the ability to achieve beautiful bokeh blurring for portraits and up-close images. Additionally, an all-new IS system will be featured on this lens, reducing camera shake and ensuring sharp imagery at all focal lengths. The autofocus (AF) performance has also been enhanced on the new lens, allowing for quiet and immediate autofocusing. In terms of external build, the EF 24-70mm f/4 IS USM is constructed of high-grade materials resistant to dust and moisture.

Prior to the 24-70mm f/4, Canon's bread and butter was the 24-70mm f/2.8 , a favorite midrange zoom that recently had a second version released for nearly $1,000 more than version I. Canon first introduced the 24-70 to its line in the 1990s and has never implemented Image Stabilization (IS) in order to keep the len's constant f/2.8 aperture. This new version of the 24-70mm trades aperture for stabilization, and in this case, a brand new hybrid IS system that will compensate for both shift and angular shake. As a result, the new 24-70mm f/4 comes with a hefty price tag of $1500, just several hundred dollars shy of its f/2.8 sibling, and several hundred dollars more expensive than the $1,299 Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 which does include image stabilization.

What do you think, Canon fans? Would you pick the f/4 version of the 24-70mm over the f/2.8 version, or would you dare stray to a third party lens vendor? For those interested in pre-ordering the 24-70mm f/4, click here!
¬

Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago #259475 by Scotty
The price on this thing doesn't make sense.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #259558 by Sandy Smith Photos
If I was a Canon owner I would rather go with the f/2.8, the f/4 is nice, but I would want the low light performance.

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #259578 by Fiona
I'll stick with the 2.8

11 years 5 months ago #259581 by rmeyer7

Scotty wrote: The price on this thing doesn't make sense.

:agree:

Who in their right mind would buy this over the 24-105? Same aperture, both have IS, and the 24-105 gives you more focal range for less money - you can find it as low as ~$900 fairly often.

11 years 5 months ago #259642 by Conner
Perhaps Canon is getting a head start on price increases. Seriously what about the quality of the glass in this?

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #259672 by Stealthy Ninja

rmeyer7 wrote:

Scotty wrote: The price on this thing doesn't make sense.

:agree:

Who in their right mind would buy this over the 24-105? Same aperture, both have IS, and the 24-105 gives you more focal range for less money - you can find it as low as ~$900 fairly often.

It's more than likely sharper. Probably has better controlled distortion etc. A lot of people would sacrifice 105mm for sharpness.

Personally I AM going to buy the 24-70 2.8L II (waiting for Canon to get it in so I can get a discount). 2.8 is more important to me than IS. I shoot people more than static things and having the speed is more important than counteracting my movements.

This might appeal to some people, especially people who like to shoot video with IS.
11 years 5 months ago #259714 by Overread
:agree: go for the 2.8 if you have the extra $$

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #259763 by One Creative Girl
:agree: on the f2.8

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #259783 by rmeyer7
True, some would sacrifice the 105 for sharpness. But it would have to be quite a bit sharper - my 24-105 is already excellent. Unless this new lens puts out results like the 135L at all lengths there wouldn't be enough sharpness improvement to be worth the price (for me).

And if I were looking for a 24-70 there's no way I'd choose this over the f/2.8. It just seems like Canon was trying to fill a hole in their lens lineup that wasn't really there.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024