Picture looking sharp in Live View mode, then losing sharpness after being shot

1 year 1 week ago #707258 by zjzjzj
Since recently I am experiencing an issue with the sharpness of my images.

I am using canon 70D with a macro lens for shooting jewellery and I need to have a very clear picture to capture the brilliance of the crystals. That's why I am using a tripod, I am using tethering between computer and camera and I shoot from the software program basically - my camera is as still as it gets when taking a photo.

What happens is that the crystals of the jewellery look sharp when I am looking at Live View mode and then when I look at the picture after it has been shot sharpness is lost to a certain extend.

This is how the image looks before taking the picture (in live view mode):  https://imgur.com/9nSD7W1

This is how it looks afterwards:  https://i.imgur.com/xubtioq

I took these pictures with my smartphone capturing the screen of the camera. If you look closely you will see the difference. It won't be noticeable in daily life pictures I suppose, but for my job, it is an issue.

Does anybody have an idea what is the problem here ? I recently upgraded the firmware to 1.1.3 (canon 70D), of course, that shouldn't be an issue, but I figured I will mention it.

Thank you!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 1 week ago #707260 by Shadowfixer1
My guess is shutter shock. I would first make sure image stabilization is off. Next, I would use mirror lock up and third, I would try a faster shutter speed. Good luck. 

1 year 1 week ago #707284 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day zj

My 2-cents also would be a) camera shake during the exposure, and b) tripod wobble -if- the tripod is a cheapie rather than a good quality one

@sf has commented on the camera side of things ... I have a beaut lightweight tripod that I use for backpacking, but because it is lightweight, it occasionally suffers from wind-wobble or big-lens + weight of camera wobble

Otherwise - keep trying, as your project seems of great interest

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

11 months 3 weeks ago #708433 by Naheed
If you see a picture looking sharp in Live View mode but after being shot
it loses its sharpness then it might be because you are taking the snaps in
the RAW format or it might be a focus issue. I will suggest to do a reset and
then try again if you are facing this issue still.

11 months 3 weeks ago #708438 by Nikon Shooter
I don't see any sign of blur due to movement.

Maybe turning of the AF prior to SR or dissociating AF from SR
could be worth trying.

A long time ago, I separated the AF and SR operations.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

This Fujifilm X-Pro 2 vs X-Pro 3 comparison review explores the similarities and differences between these cameras so you can decide which best fits your needs.

Dec 13, 2021

The Nikon D3X is a 13-year-old high-end camera. The question is, does it still have what it takes to be a pro-level camera in 2021? The answer might surprise you.

Nov 19, 2021

The Canon EOS Rebel SL1 was the smallest DSLR on the market when it came out in 2013. Is it still a decent option for photographers in 2021? Let's find out!

Nov 04, 2021

The Nikon D4 is nearly a decade old, but despite its age, it still offers a lot of features and benefits for professional and amateur photographers alike.

Nov 03, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Not sure how to hang a photo? Use this quick beginner's guide to get some great tips for making your photos look great on your wall.

Jan 14, 2022

There are many types of cameras used for photography, from small point-and-shoot cameras to full frame professional mirrorless. Learn what type of camera might be best for you!

Jan 13, 2022

The RØDE VideoMic GO II is here, and it's packed with features that make it an ideal audio option for new, intermediate, and advanced videographers.

Jan 11, 2022

There are many different choices for the best camera for product photography. Consult this guide to learn about some of the very best options.

Jan 11, 2022

Do you need some quality Nikon camera gear but don't want to break the bank? Check out these inexpensive Nikon accessories!

Jan 11, 2022

Not sure what the camera lens hood purpose is? In this guide, we'll dive deep into all things camera lens hood so you understand why they are a good investment.

Jan 07, 2022

If you're not sure what optical lens stabilization is or what it does, consult this quick guide that also dives into camera-based image stabilization.

Jan 06, 2022

If you're a Canon shooter and want to start traveling, consult this list of the best Canon camera for travel before you hit the road.

Jan 05, 2022