Proprietary problems with my after market batteries...

13 years 2 months ago #32177 by chasrich
I'm new to using a Canon (60D). I've purchased some backup batteries from Hong Kong and have noticed a few problems. When I change to the spare battery it gives a message that the battery can't communicate - continue? It works fine but if I check Battery Info I get the same error message. Also the replacement batteries don't seem to charge on the "official" charger. Since I also ordered an after market charger I can charge them on that. The original battery does not work on the other charge though.

Has anyone figured out a work around for these problems? If not, what type of verbiage should I look for in the description of any additional batteries I might buy?

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 2 months ago #32178 by Baydream
Buy genuine Canon batteries. Off-brand can void your warranty. Is it worth a few dollars to risk losing your big investment?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #32181 by chasrich
Would that hold true for After Market Battery grip?

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 2 months ago #32183 by Baydream

chasrich wrote: Would that hold true for After Market Battery grip?

I do not believe so. I have an after market Zeikos on my XSi with no issues.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #32187 by qualityresults
I have an Opteka Grip with my 7D and my XTI. The guy from the camera shop thought it was a Canon grip so.

On the topic of after Market the big problem with newer Canon batteries is the chip inside. There are a number of warnings re Counterfeit Batteries from over seas and how they work with Canon Camera's (ie 7D 60D and newer T2I and the soon to be released T3 and T3I) and not having the chip or the right amperage. You have to ask and get it is writing.

Certain companies are not going to risk their reputation, others don't care.

13 years 1 week ago #51152 by quietguy
I too bought a 3rd party battery for my Canon 550D, and it wouldn't charge on the Canon charger so I chucked it.

Then I did a bit of homework and found that Phottix batteries got a lot of praise in various forums and tried one of those. It worked great on the 550D and the Canon charger filled it without hassles.

I have since bought a Phottix for my 60D and it too charged up without hassles on the Canon charger (the charger for the 60D of course), but haven't yet tried it in the camera. I have little doubt that it will work OK but I think it doesn't have the chip in it that the Canon uses to 'register' it - but that is OK as the cost was $18 compared to a genuine Canon for $60 or so.

You might find it useful to have a look on the Phottix site, as they have info there on their products, and will answer your email enquiries promptly (that is how I found out about them not having the chip but being otherwise compatible)

Looks like beards and age go together with Canon and Macs :-)

13 years 1 week ago - 13 years 1 week ago #51232 by Henry Peach
With my older Canon DSLRs I've been happily using $11 sterlingtek.com batteries for years, but with the newer DSLRs Canon has added the chip, and I've been forced to go with the $60 Canon brand batteries. ): Actually I do like the battery info feature, and I'm getting 1000+ shots per recharge so I'm not complaining too much.

Canon doesn't control the battery design, but they do control the chip/software that's now in them. That keeps the aftermarket brands from adding the same. Hopefully your aftermarket batteries are powering your camera without problems, and it's just the battery info feature that won't work. I'd do more research, and see what other folks have found out. You might even test the Canon brand battery and the aftermarket ones with a volt meter to check to see if volts, amps, etc... are the same. Let us know what you find out, because I'd be willing to give up the battery info feature for a $40 - $50 savings.

EDIT: With some quick research it seems like plenty of folks are using the aftermarket brand batteries in their 5DIIs, 7Ds, and 60Ds, and not having any problems other than the battery info feature and battery indicator don't work, they require their own charger, and they don't last as long between recharges.

The only report of problems came from a guy who said he worked for Canon. He claimed to have seen "dozens" of DSLRs with 3rd party batteries melted into them. Numerous other people challenged him as no recent reports of melting batteries could be found, and he said he was going to post pics of DSLRs damaged by the batteries. He was never heard from again and no pics got posted.

The question for me is considering the prices for these 3rd party batteries, and if they don't last as long how much am I really saving? $11 vs $60 for identical batteries is a no-brainer. $30ish vs $60 for a battery that doesn't work as well isn't such a sure thing.

I've had a good experience with Sterlingtek products. When they have one to sell I might try it out. Right now I don't think they do.

EDIT part 2: They do carry them for $23. I've been using Sterlingtek batteries in my DSLRs for 7 years. I trust them. sterlingtek.com/lp66-canon-lp-e6-battery.html
13 years 1 week ago #51236 by chasrich
I have been using the off-brand batteries along with the genuine canon batt. Here is what I have found.

The off brand battery WILLNOT charge on the Canon charger... they will however charge just fine on an off brand charger.

The off brand battery causes an error message from the camera saying that it can't communicate with the battery then asks "Use anyway?". I tell it to continue and the battery works just fine. It does not give a consumption indication like the Authentic battery does. It does not give the warning a second time unless you remove it from the camera.

The different batteries all perform the same way except for the notations above. The cost was one quarter for the off brands. The technical notations are identical. As was mentioned above the warranty might be voided if there is a problem.

Mr. Peach your assessment rings true. I'm also willing to give up some of the features for the savings.

13 years 6 days ago #51498 by quietguy
I have had the opportunity today to try the Phottix battery in my 60D. While it didn't allow me to register it, it performed just like the Canon battery does, and the 60D indicated its % of charge, and its recharge capability just as the Canon unit does.

Importantly there were no error messages etc, it just worked and had I not checked re the registering provision it would have been indistinguishable from the genuine Canon

so, Phottix is definitely the way I will continue to go in future - $17 against $60 or so and no differences evidenced it seems a no brainer to me

13 years 6 days ago #51544 by Henry Peach
I had a long day of shooting yesterday: a wedding followed up by a live music show. So I drained an official Canon brand battery ( LP-E6 ). The shot counter said I racked up almost 1400 shots on that battery. That's just amazing IMO. About double what I was getting from BP-511 batteries (20D, 40D, 5D... ). If the aftermarket batteries last that long they are worth it. If they only last 1/2 or even 2/3rds I may stick with the Canon brand.
13 years 5 days ago #51700 by nanhi
Chashrich err Cashrich Sir, recommend you buy the great Pentax K-5 gear and charge all kinds of 3rd party batteries in the supplied charger to your hearts desire.
I have the Pentax K20D and some (3) 3rd Party batteries purchased from Amazon for $ 9 to 15 each when the OE one costs $ 45. After (2) years they are just as good as the original. I check them out every (6) months based on their discharged and full charged voltage measurements.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024