Tele converter lens...

13 years 1 month ago #32807 by chasrich
I want to add a 2X tele converter lens to my existing 18-270 zoom. Is 2x the right amount? Does the converter that attaches to the camera mount offer anything over the teleconver that mounts on the filter end of the lens?

What about wide angle converters? Do they provide advantages in macro photography? What would be the best size and mount for that type of lens?

Thanks for any opinions or advice you can offer me.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #32831 by Baydream
I have a 2x converter that I use on my 70-300. Converters do cost you several f/stops and a bit of clarity but compared to the cost of a 500, it is a tool that can substitute until you can afford the "real thing".
I haven't seen a 2x for the filter end.
Until I can afford a good macro, I have a .43 wide angle converter for the front of my 18-55. It is "ok" but again the quality suffers a tad. Mine is a Vivitar that when the front lens is detached, I becomes a real close up macro.

I consider these temp moves until I can afford dedicated lenses so they are good to practice with.

These will help me decide which direction to go first. Those of us on "fixed incomes" can't afford instant gratification. Not with cameras anyway :toocrazy:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: chasrich
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #32870 by chasrich
The front end converter looks like this...

For my camera this lenses back end is 72mm and the filter end is 84mm. Now this leads me to think it can let in more light than a converter mounted between the camera body and the zoom lens. I do not know this to be true though. It also opens up the need for a 84mm UV and possibly a 84mm hood. The electronics contacts are not a factor and the auto focus should behave normally.

My motivation is the same as yours - get by until that lottery check gets cashed. :woohoo

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago #32883 by Screamin Scott
Quality suffers when ever you add more glass to a lens that isn't part of the original optical formula. So either choice will degrade the resulting image. How much depends on the original lens & the converter being used. Better quality optics will show less degradation with add on converters (& that means higher priced lenses as well, with the exception of most 50mm prime lenses which are the best bang for the buck optics around)...The central part of the image will normally be acceptable but the IQ will fall off as you move to the edges of the frame.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #32894 by Baydream
I did manage to get this with my olf Pentax ME Super and a f/8-16 500mm lens with a 2x converter, Very inexpensive lens but better than getting close to these fellows during rutting season.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago #33092 by bhowdy
As others have already said .... The image quality will degrade in most cases when using a 2X convertor. Even on high end Canon glass the 2X will degrade. For example when I use my 2X converter on the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 lens (version II) the image is just not quite as sharp as it is without a converter, or even as sharp as when using the 1.4X converter. (I see little image change with the 1.4)

But as Baydream says ... It is an option to consider until a person can buy a long lens.

I would suggest that you look at the Tamron converters, since you will be using it on a Tamron lens. I have both a Tamron 1.4X and a Canon 1.4X and the Tamron is just as good as the Canon IMHO, for a lot less money. I have not used the Tamron 2X.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 1 month ago #34240 by Kip
I've the Tamron 2x; it does fine, but you need f/2.8 or faster lens to maintain autofocus; and is only centerfocus point.

13 years 1 month ago #34257 by Yasko
Teleconverters that go between the lens and body give better image quality than the converters you simply snap on the front. They're more expensive however, usually about twice the price for a good one. I've tried front adapters, and got good results in the center of the image, but the edges always suffer with lots of color fringing, vignetting, and blur in the edge of the frame.

If you have the Tamron 18-270, I would try to find a well stocked camera shop with teleconverters on hand to try out yourself. I say this because this lens doesn't have a very strong focusing drive, so you never know how much a teleconverter or front adapter will slow the focus down. It could make the autofocus go so slow it constantly searches. 2X converters are a burden on any lens, even the very high end lenses with strong focusing drives.

13 years 1 month ago #34311 by chasrich
Thanks Yasco. I wasn't thinking about the focus motor but you raise some points to ponder. I just got the 2.2x converter that attaches to the filter end of the lens and I'm working on obtaining a camera end converter as well. I'll probably due some evaluation on both ideas and form an opinion. Your information though will considerably weigh on that in favor of the inner converter. I'll play with changing the focus points on the camera as well.

13 years 2 weeks ago #43160 by dang
Sorry for not seeing this sooner, but thought I'd mention something in case others stumble across the thread.

Teleconverters which are placed between the lens and body are usually designed to work with 100mm and longer lenses only. If you mount one to a zoom (or wider angle) there's a good chance you could damage the lens/converter due to element contact. Be sure to check the intended use before purchase, and maybe save yourself trouble.

Also, 1.4X converters cost 1 stop of light,. while 2X cost 2. Of course screw on converters which fit the lens front are safe regardless of lens size, and though not as sharp cost minimum light loss.

Hope this helps.

Insanity: doing the same thing over, and over again expecting different results. (Albert Einstein)
www.dangphoto.weebly.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: Zardoz
13 years 2 weeks ago #43166 by Screamin Scott
There are the older manual focus Vivitar 2X macro converters (I think some other manufacturers made these as well). They are made to be used with a 50mm lens. You can focus all the way from infinity down to life size macro images with it. They can be found at KEH & on eBay...Less expensive alternative for shooting macro & like a true macro lens, variable magnification ratios without changing out tubes...If shot @ the infinity setting, it's like shooting with a 100mm lens (assuming you are using a 50mm lens with it)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 1 week ago #46058 by quietguy
Thanks for this tip. I have just bought a Kenko 2x teleconverter, and tried it briefly on my Canon 28-135mm lens. It seemed to work OK, but I am not sure how to check if there is any element contact.

BTW the during the quick test i gave it (pics out across my paddock) the autofocus worked well.

I will have to try it under less favourable conditions, but after reading your comment I want to check out if there is any possibility of damaging my lens

13 years 6 days ago #46854 by Mr Flash
Don't.
Tele-converters are designed to work with fast primes or fast 'L' quality zooms. The 18-270 is a big optical compromise as it is. Adding a 2x tele-converter will result in a very dark viewfinder, no auto-focus and will render low quality images. Wide angle converters are not designed for use with a DSLR and will also render low quality results. If you want better macro ability, add a 500D close-up lens to the 18-270.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024