Canon 550D

13 years 6 months ago #3747 by vip2010
Initially i was considering the Canon 60D but it looks like the 550d is a much better camera? Any opinions, what does everyone think of the 550d?

13 years 6 months ago #3805 by CanonKid
I would go with the 60D, IMHO this is a better camera. It will cost you more, but you get what you pay for.

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
13 years 1 week ago #51176 by quietguy
I presently have both of these, and in my view both are great cameras.

In that I am a beginner, and may not have enough knowledge to judge features that I have not yet learned to use, I can only comment that you cant go wrong with either.

I am going to sell the 550D, as the movable LCD on the 60D is a very big plus for me as my eyes are not too good and I can get close to the screen even when the camera is at an odd angle/position. Also, the 60D has the wireless for operating a 430EXII as remote built in - very handy I reckon.

That said I find I prefer the 'feel' of the buttons and controls on the 550D to those on the 60D - while both are OK the 550D buttons have a more positive feedback feel whereas the 60Ds are a little mushy - eg like a keyboard that doesnt click when you press a key. That said the 60D still feels nice to use, adn though they dont give much feedback, they operate smoothly and positively.

I cannot detect any difference in the pics taken with these cameras, using both in the fully auto mode with the same lens, though someone with more skills using manual settings might have a different view.

The 60D is a bit heavier, and feels more solid, but the to me the 550D also feels well made and not at all flimsy or cheap. Just a matter of preference I think.

Hope this helps somewhat - I am sure you will be happy which way your choice goes

13 years 5 days ago - 13 years 5 days ago #51547 by Henry Peach
They seem very similar in features and performance to me except for typical Rebel series and D series differences.

www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-b...roducts=canon_eos60d

www.dxomark.com
13 years 5 days ago #51612 by Baydream

quietguy wrote: I presently have both of these, and in my view both are great cameras.

In that I am a beginner, and may not have enough knowledge to judge features that I have not yet learned to use, I can only comment that you cant go wrong with either.

I am going to sell the 550D, as the movable LCD on the 60D is a very big plus for me as my eyes are not too good and I can get close to the screen even when the camera is at an odd angle/position. Also, the 60D has the wireless for operating a 430EXII as remote built in - very handy I reckon.

That said I find I prefer the 'feel' of the buttons and controls on the 550D to those on the 60D - while both are OK the 550D buttons have a more positive feedback feel whereas the 60Ds are a little mushy - eg like a keyboard that doesnt click when you press a key. That said the 60D still feels nice to use, adn though they dont give much feedback, they operate smoothly and positively.

I cannot detect any difference in the pics taken with these cameras, using both in the fully auto mode with the same lens, though someone with more skills using manual settings might have a different view.

The 60D is a bit heavier, and feels more solid, but the to me the 550D also feels well made and not at all flimsy or cheap. Just a matter of preference I think.

Hope this helps somewhat - I am sure you will be happy which way your choice goes

Great to have someone with both to give comparisons. Great job.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 days ago #53578 by KC
I havn't used either, but once I was deciding between the 450D and 50D.

I would have to ask what aspects make you believe the 550D is better than the 60D?

If I remember correctly they both have the same sensor, the 60D has a larger buffer and shotting speed.

Before release the 60D had many complaints about the flipping screen but after release I have heard more good things than bad about it.

I'll write something here when....ooooh shiney

My Smugmug

12 years 11 months ago #69659 by Cantaxian
You won't go wrong with either of them. Its obvious that the 60D will be having a solid built-up and grip along with more frames per second speed.

XXD is a semi-professional camera and will be more faster and strong as compared to the XXXD.

Regarding the picture quality, you won't find much difference at all and both are equally nice on that front.

Some considerable features of 60D :-

1> More frames per second, Good for action or sports photography.
2> Tilt LCD screen, which gives you more control to take pictures from any angle using live-view. good for those who are fond of live-view.
3> 60D contains a penta-prism viewfinder which is brighter and clear over penta-mirror viewfinder of 550D.

If you want all these extras 60D is the best bet, otherwise 550D will be a great camera and will cost you far less than the 60D. You can invest in extra lens with the remaining money.

Once bitten Twice fascinated by photography :P.
12 years 11 months ago #78389 by normjacob
I looked at both of these cameras for months. Read all the reviews and comments on blogs. Just recently I purchased the 60D. I managed to hit a sale online and the difference in price on bodys only was $50 (550D vs 60D). I like the size of the 60D and with only $50 difference, I went with the 60d.

12 years 11 months ago #78391 by Nikonjan
Like mentioned above. I always do a search on the internet for reviews on anything I buy to see the specs,pros and cons. Then I decide from there.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024