Canon s5IS, sx30IS vs. a DSLR

13 years 1 month ago #38809 by dp77/00vette
I have a s5IS, 8mp Canon and it's becoming outdated somewhat. I really like the fact of the tremendous zoom it has and the convienence of not having to carry extra lenses. I have considered going up to the newest version, sx30IS for the price but, kinda want to go the DSLR route which is a lot more money. I know I don't want to go much over $1000. Maybe between 1k & 2k.

I am far from being a pro but I like my pics to be the best they can be. I have shot film SLR's for years and I know the quality is there, digital seems to be a little different and better. I just don't want to spend thousands of dollars for the type of pics I take. I shoot a lot of candid shots of kids, animals, people at local clubs, local bands, cars, etc. I do some artsy shots at times of things that would make a good photo. Like my avatar.

So, my question is what do you suggest? Brand, model, lenses, etc.? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan

13 years 1 month ago #38998 by Baydream
Wow. You have a whole world out there in front of you. It sounds like your style needs both wide angle and telephoto. I know that most people will respond with Canon or Nikon but I would not dismiss some of the other major brands. Their Image Stabilization (or vibration reduction) is built into the camera body so lenses can be less expensive. Look at the Sony and others before you decide . If there is an active camera club in your area, stop by and ask them. Remember that almost every Nikon owner will say Nikon and every Canon owner will say Canon (I have Canons) but cameras are like cars - what you own is usually the best .
Get your hands on several brands and "feel" the difference. Some will just "fit your hand" while others will feel awkward. Our camera club is about 40% Nikon, 40% Canon and a mix of the rest.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #39011 by chasrich
I was in pretty much your situation just a few months ago. I had an 18X optical zoom Olympus 560. Great camera that did a lot for me. I'd been pondering the change up to a DSLR but like you said they cost a bit more. I bought a Canon and 18-270mm zoom that is similar to the zoom range I had been carrying. My only regret - that I didn't make the change last year or even the year before. Like John said "You have a whole world out there in front of you.". Go for it!

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 month ago #39303 by Cool_G5
Do keep in mind that an entry level DSLR(Nikon D3100) + a decent telephoto lens(55-200mm lens) will cost you around Rs.42,000. But the image quality offered by a DSLR is unparalleled by any P&S camera. I think if you're spending for a super zoom then spend some few more & go with DSLR camera.

12 years 7 months ago #141335 by roslind
I have the same dilemna! Planning to change out of my S5 IS which is nearly 3 yrs old and can't decide whether to move to a DSLR or just get the SX30 IS.

The entry level DSLR offered by Canon EOS 1100D is slightly more than the price of the SX30 IS for the basis kit (body with 55mm lens). However once you move into DSLR u will need to invest in more lens. It feels like a hassle having to change lens and not to mention the bulky weight from all the additional items! Of coz, the pic quality is uncomparable vs a P&S camera including SX30 IS.

So have u managed to make a decision? Can share with me?

12 years 6 months ago #160234 by dp77/00vette
Wow, I forgot I posted this 7 months ago!

Anyway here's my update!

After months of trying to decide what to do I went to our local camera store and walked out with a Nikon D5100 with a 55/300 lens. Should have done it a long time ago! Just a lot of bells and whistles to learn.

Since the initial purchase I bought a slightly used Nikkor 18/105 lens and a used Nikon SB-600 flash unit. Very satisfied, for now!! :lol:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024