Using a Hood

13 years 2 weeks ago #43000 by 4kmckyd
When using a hood....why does it cone the picture (sorry, I don't know if that is the technical term...that is what is called when developing dental x-rays)? I have a hood for my 18-135 lens, and when I have it on the 18....it cuts off and leaves a dark shadow on one little part of my picture. Is it not on correctly...or do all hoods do that? I have another hood for another lens...same thing when it is in it's widest setting.
13 years 2 weeks ago #43033 by Baydream
I have no problems with my Canon hoods unless I have a thick filter mounted. Then it will vignette a bit at the widest aperture.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 weeks ago - 13 years 2 weeks ago #43041 by chasrich
My hood locks on with a quarter turn. Line up the dots and you should feel the snap when it locks. For manual alighnment check that the hood is on straight.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 2 weeks ago #43071 by photobod
Not sure what the problem is as there shouldnt be a problem, is it the hood that came with the lens, if not maybe thats the problem. :toocrazy:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 2 weeks ago - 13 years 2 weeks ago #43078 by Baydream

photobod wrote: Not sure what the problem is as there shouldnt be a problem, is it the hood that came with the lens, if not maybe thats the problem. :toocrazy:

:agree: See if the prob occurs without the hood if you are using a filter. Also check to make sure the hood was made for that lens as photobod mentioned. Putting a lens for a 100mm lens on an 85mm will do exactly that.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 weeks ago #43373 by 4kmckyd
Thanks guys....I'll play around with it some more. It isn't the hood that came with it, so maybe that is the problem with it. I'll check again to make sure it is line up too. Thought it was, but who knows!!! Could very well be operator error :blink:
13 years 6 days ago #46916 by Henry Peach

4kmckyd wrote: It isn't the hood that came with it, so maybe that is the problem

That's probably it. The term for this commonly used by photographers is "vignette". As has been mentioned anything that blocks some of the field of view of the lens, such as a hood or filter, can cause vignette. Lenses may also show vignette when used with their largest apertures.

I have a very wide angle lens that vignettes when I use a polarizing filter on it. They make extra thin filters to help with this, but I haven't picked one up yet. When I want to use the pol I know to leave a little extra room in the composition to crop the vignette away.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024