thinking about the Rebel XSi

9 years 1 month ago #5291 by psilverman
I’m thinking about buying the Canon Rebel XSi but wanted to ask a few questions first. What did you all think of the camera? How long have you had it? Do you regret buying it? Other than wanting a higher pixel rate, why would you want to buy something better than this camera?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #5294 by bhowdy

Why would you want to buy something better than this camera?

You don't say in your post what your main photogrpahy focus is ... what your experience level might be, etc. As for the XSi .... It is a very nice beginner / hobbyist level camera. I don't give mega pixel counts much thought anyway so that doesn't factor into my equation.

The higher end pro and pro/sumer camera bodies have many advantages that you may or may not need or want. Things like a better build quality to the actual body itself, full frame versus crop sensor (5D, 5DII and 1DS models are full frmae) .... if you shoot sports or wildlife the "frames per second" that the camera shutter will shoot may be something that a person wants / needs (the 7D 40D, 50D, 60D and the 1D models all shoot a high frames per second)

The XSi is a crop type camera (1.6 crop) which will allow you to use both EF and EF-S Canon lenses the 5D and 1D bodies will only allow use of the EF lenses.

Some people feel that the "X" model cameras do not have enough substance to them ... that they feel small in their hands, etc.

The hobbyist / beginner camera bodies typically do not have as good an ability for image noise control .... most start to show significant noise at iso settings above 400 and higher.

The upper end Canon cameras have dual sensors in them which will allow the potential for better images, if the person pressing the shutter button has the skill level capabilities.

This is a few things that come to might as I quickly write this response. Bottom line is that there have been and will continue to be many excellent images taken with cameras such as the XSi.

Will using a Canon 5dII or a 1D MarkIV or 1DS MarkIII make a person a better photographer? Nope not a chance!

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

9 years 1 week ago #7297 by Geraldine

Attachment yard pics 035.JPG not found

Attachment yard pics 031.JPG not found

I truly like my Rebel xsi, I am a beginner photographer and am thinking about taking classes to better educate myself, I love to take pic's of my Grandbabies, and also Birds, flowers and a sortment of animals. I just found Photography Talk. I am loving it!! Here are the Sap sucker woodpeckers , I saw in the back yard, tell me what U think, I can take constructive critism!!!

Attachments:

9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #7310 by bhowdy
Geraldine,
Your images are better than some that I took when first starting out. You will want to strive for images that are sharper as you gain skills. Each of these is a bit blurry, maybe not the camera's fault as you might have been moving?

I prefer to use a single focus point when photographing small birds. Many times several focus points will not be exactly on the bird, causing a portion of the photo, not the bird to be in focus and the bird to be out of focus (OOF). Try to hit the bird's leading eye as the main point of focus as well.

Learn to put your elbows in against your body to create a good shooting posture and better brace your camera. Of course a tripod or even a monopod will help gain a "steadier" image, but I realize that is not always possible.

Your bird is a Red-headed Woodpecker and not a sapsucker. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your photos and watching your improvement.

Avoid dslr Camera Shake

Here's a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

The following user(s) said Thank You: Geraldine

9 years 1 week ago #7338 by Geraldine

Attachment yard pics 002.JPG not found

Attachment yard pics 012.JPG not found

Thank you for your reply, I thought if u could elaborate on a few more pic's that would be great!!

Attachments:

8 years 10 months ago #15805 by Baydream
Agreed. Quite often, the decision comes down to money. I have an older XT and an XSi, both of which have produced winning photos. I do handle them with care but shoot in both the States and Canada on a regular basis and have no trouble with them. I added battery holder and grip to my XSi and it now weighs as much as the pro models and that can be a worry for those with smaller hands or less strength.
These photos with the XSi using the kit lens and the 70-300mmIS.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

Sure, the Nikon D610 is going on seven years old, but if you want a full frame camera, you'll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper one. Learn about the features and benefits of this camera in our Nikon D610 review.

Nov 27, 2019

The FujiFilm X-Pro 3 is a brand-new camera with distinct retro styling. Is it the right camera for you? Find out in this detailed FujiFilm X-Pro 3 review.

Nov 26, 2019

The Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L is one of the holy trinity of lenses every photographer needs to have. Does it stand up to its huge price tag? Let's find out!

Nov 22, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

"Turn a precious moment into a viral sensation," touts the "Birthie" stick, which doubles as stirrups for your labor and a selfie...

Dec 04, 2019

There are some great Cyber Monday deals going on right now for photographers. Get new gear at deep discounts today!

Dec 02, 2019

Continuous light sources like video lights can be an excellent lighting solution for portraits. Take a look at these helpful portrait lighting tips using on-camera video lights.

Dec 02, 2019

Do you have questions regarding circular polarizers? We have the answers in this quick primer.

Dec 02, 2019

Photo by Rik van der Kroon on Unsplash One of my fondest memories was being woken up by my father in the middle of the night as...

Nov 28, 2019

Sure, the Nikon D610 is going on seven years old, but if you want a full frame camera, you'll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper one. Learn about the features and benefits of this camera in our Nikon D610 review.

Nov 27, 2019

If you're sick of trying to print your photos at home, follow this photo printing advice and learn how to print photos with professional labs to get the best results.

Nov 27, 2019