thinking about the Rebel XSi

9 years 8 months ago #5291 by psilverman
I’m thinking about buying the Canon Rebel XSi but wanted to ask a few questions first. What did you all think of the camera? How long have you had it? Do you regret buying it? Other than wanting a higher pixel rate, why would you want to buy something better than this camera?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #5294 by bhowdy

Why would you want to buy something better than this camera?

You don't say in your post what your main photogrpahy focus is ... what your experience level might be, etc. As for the XSi .... It is a very nice beginner / hobbyist level camera. I don't give mega pixel counts much thought anyway so that doesn't factor into my equation.

The higher end pro and pro/sumer camera bodies have many advantages that you may or may not need or want. Things like a better build quality to the actual body itself, full frame versus crop sensor (5D, 5DII and 1DS models are full frmae) .... if you shoot sports or wildlife the "frames per second" that the camera shutter will shoot may be something that a person wants / needs (the 7D 40D, 50D, 60D and the 1D models all shoot a high frames per second)

The XSi is a crop type camera (1.6 crop) which will allow you to use both EF and EF-S Canon lenses the 5D and 1D bodies will only allow use of the EF lenses.

Some people feel that the "X" model cameras do not have enough substance to them ... that they feel small in their hands, etc.

The hobbyist / beginner camera bodies typically do not have as good an ability for image noise control .... most start to show significant noise at iso settings above 400 and higher.

The upper end Canon cameras have dual sensors in them which will allow the potential for better images, if the person pressing the shutter button has the skill level capabilities.

This is a few things that come to might as I quickly write this response. Bottom line is that there have been and will continue to be many excellent images taken with cameras such as the XSi.

Will using a Canon 5dII or a 1D MarkIV or 1DS MarkIII make a person a better photographer? Nope not a chance!

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

9 years 7 months ago #7297 by Geraldine

Attachment yard pics 035.JPG not found

Attachment yard pics 031.JPG not found

I truly like my Rebel xsi, I am a beginner photographer and am thinking about taking classes to better educate myself, I love to take pic's of my Grandbabies, and also Birds, flowers and a sortment of animals. I just found Photography Talk. I am loving it!! Here are the Sap sucker woodpeckers , I saw in the back yard, tell me what U think, I can take constructive critism!!!

Attachments:

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #7310 by bhowdy
Geraldine,
Your images are better than some that I took when first starting out. You will want to strive for images that are sharper as you gain skills. Each of these is a bit blurry, maybe not the camera's fault as you might have been moving?

I prefer to use a single focus point when photographing small birds. Many times several focus points will not be exactly on the bird, causing a portion of the photo, not the bird to be in focus and the bird to be out of focus (OOF). Try to hit the bird's leading eye as the main point of focus as well.

Learn to put your elbows in against your body to create a good shooting posture and better brace your camera. Of course a tripod or even a monopod will help gain a "steadier" image, but I realize that is not always possible.

Your bird is a Red-headed Woodpecker and not a sapsucker. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your photos and watching your improvement.

Avoid dslr Camera Shake

Here's a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

The following user(s) said Thank You: Geraldine

9 years 7 months ago #7338 by Geraldine

Attachment yard pics 002.JPG not found

Attachment yard pics 012.JPG not found

Thank you for your reply, I thought if u could elaborate on a few more pic's that would be great!!

Attachments:

9 years 5 months ago #15805 by Baydream
Agreed. Quite often, the decision comes down to money. I have an older XT and an XSi, both of which have produced winning photos. I do handle them with care but shoot in both the States and Canada on a regular basis and have no trouble with them. I added battery holder and grip to my XSi and it now weighs as much as the pro models and that can be a worry for those with smaller hands or less strength.
These photos with the XSi using the kit lens and the 70-300mmIS.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Travel photography gear comes in all shapes and sizes, but what are the best items to pick up? Check this list for our top picks!

Jul 10, 2020

A camera belt is the ideal camera strap alternative because it puts the weight of your gear on your hips. It's a more comfortable way to carry your camera gear!

Jul 10, 2020

The best camera bags of 2020 include big backpacks, small sling bags, and many variations in between. Which of these top camera bags is for you? Find out!

Jul 09, 2020

The best stock photo sites pay well for your images, are easy to sign up, and offer tools and solutions to help you streamline your stock photography business. These sites are among the best.

Jul 09, 2020

If you're looking for unique canvas prints, look no further than metallic canvas! These prints are beautiful, iridescent, and have superior, eye-catching color.

Jul 09, 2020

Canon unveiled the Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 this morning. Both cameras look to be game-changers for Canon, and both will ship soon!

Jul 09, 2020

Not sure how to increase your photography income? Use these business tips to make more money as a photographer!

Jul 08, 2020

Is there really a reason to have a filter kit for landscape photography these days? Lightroom is all-powerful, right? Wrong...there are lots of reasons to have lens filters.

Jul 08, 2020