Looking at making some upgrades

13 years 5 months ago #6937 by DTM
So my Canon Rebel has been a great camera. I know it's considered a beginner DSLR camera. What I'm wondering is if I go investing into some higher end lenses will they be OK on this camera body? I don't have a lot of spare cash, and what I do have I would rather invest in better lenses than a new body that requires better lenses to work right.

So while I'm building up to better equipment. If I buy better lenses will they work OK on my Rebel?

13 years 5 months ago #6974 by bhowdy
Absolutely they will work. Many experienced photographers will tell you to buy glass before you upgrade the camera body.

Which lenses are you interested in - What do you have now?

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 5 months ago #6978 by ozman1865
Hello DTM.

I would also like to chime in if you dont mind. Bhowdy made a very true statement and is right on target. He also asked what lenses you currently have which is also a very good question. I am looking to upgrade my lenses myself and well it is crazy but the lenses will be more than what I paid for the body. but with that understood when I started into this hobby I think the lens is more than worth the money. I currently use the 50D and totally love it. I have been doing a bit of reading on the 60D but in no time soon am I planning on stepping up to the next level. I am struggling with the fact that I dont have any lenses that are optimal for indoor sports shooting. My limitations are the fact that I dont have any lenses that are low enough f-stop to get enough light into the sensor in these poorly lit gyms. I struggle most with action blur as I have to keep the shutter open a bit too long to get the light I need which allows to much time which causes the blur. I am wanting the canon 70-200 lens and well when I can afford the shell out the cash for it it will be mine. anyway you didnt ask what I wanted you were asking what you should do.

if you are shooting with canon currently and love the camera and dont plan on changing camera brands by all means get the lenses as you can always save for the body upgrade. with that in mind and you stick with the upgrade to a higher end canon body the you will be out absolutly nothing but getting more lenses. Plus when you get the new body in the future you will be accustomed to the lenses already and you can then concentrate on the new body and know what the lenses can do for you.... so I guess in my opinion I would surely get lenses and or external flash upgrades. it is nice to have that body to go with them but you already know what your current camera can do..... well I guess I added my two cents and hope to hear about the new purchase in the near future...... Make me envious ... LOL happy shooting

Jeff

13 years 5 months ago #6999 by canon4me
wow good advice! I upgraded my Canon Rebel this year to the Canon 7D....and now I have 2 camera's that can use the same lens....and that was part of what I wanted to do. : )

13 years 5 months ago #7018 by ozman1865
oh now you are making me envious... LOL I went backwards a bit this year. but yet it was forward. LOL I wanted to get a decent film camera that i could use to shoot black and whites with and purchased a bit of a lower end canon the good ol canon eos rebelG well guess it actually wasn't a step backwards as I stole it basicly LOL anyway I am still wanting a second digital camera so I can carry one with me all the time and not carry the 50D or one better like the 7D and not feel so bad using my main camera as the carry around... one day yes it will happen. but yeah if I could only find that million dollars I lost last weekend everything would fall back in place.

Nice to meet you canon 4 me looking forward to learning more from you and everyone else here.

Jeff

13 years 3 months ago #18864 by vipergts831
Any lens built for canon will work on the rebel series. They take both EF-S and EF lenses. If you ever move up to Full Frame then EF-S lenses will not work there anymore. Hope that helps.

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #18866 by Baydream
Despite the mp difference, my XT shoots very close to my XSi.
Buy the lens. Then by the time you can afford to upgrade the body (say in a year), three new models will have been introduced.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #18984 by Stealthy Ninja

vipergts831 wrote: Any lens built for canon will work on the rebel series. They take both EF-S and EF lenses. If you ever move up to Full Frame then EF-S lenses will not work there anymore. Hope that helps.

LOL not the canon FD mount lenses though. ;)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024