Canon 400 F5.6L or Canon 300 F4L IS ??

12 years 10 months ago #96249 by dilbarmano
Hi All

I am planning to buy either of those lens but i need your suggestions or advises on this.

I own 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM lens but sometimes its hard to reach while shooting birds.

400 5.6 is budget lens but doesnt have IS , i guess for shooting birds in flight which needs fast shutter speeds , i dont think i'll rely on IS but however 300 F4 does have IS , but again the reach is just 100mm more than what i currently have ie 70-200mm lens...

I was in dilemma whether to go for 1.4x extender but the reach will be maximum of 280(if i am not wrong) and also heard that the image quality will be reduced and i also have to compromise on the aperture as it will no longer be 2.8 but 5.6.. so instead of buying extender why dont i opt for budget lens 400 5.6L ??

Please your advice and suggestions are much needed for me..

PS: I am upgrading to 7d from 50D .. will this make any sense if i own 400 5.6 ??

Regds
Mano

Cheers
Mano

12 years 10 months ago #96351 by Jerry1
I have the 300 f/4L on a 50D and while I really like it because of the minimum focusing distance (great for flowers, butterflies, dragonflies, etc.) it's probably not the best birding lens, especially for bif. It's great for birds that you can get close enough to or set up a blind and get them to come close to you but the 400 f/5.6L is probably a much better birding lens imo. Lightweight, faster focusing and a little more reach. I've used both and if I were going to strictly be birding the 400 would be my choice. In fact, I'll probably get another one at some point. But I really do enjoy the 300 for its versatility.

12 years 10 months ago #96815 by dilbarmano
Hi Jerry

Thanks a lot... So you backed up my thought :thumbsup: ... I too slowly leaning towards this lens as it is fast , light weight(compared to its other L cousins) and more over budget oriented...

Thanks for your advice once again.

Regds
Mano

Cheers
Mano

12 years 10 months ago #96839 by Baydream

dilbarmano wrote: Hi Jerry

Thanks a lot... So you backed up my thought :thumbsup: ... I too slowly leaning towards this lens as it is fast , light weight(compared to its other L cousins) and more over budget oriented...

Thanks for your advice once again.

Regds
Mano

And you could add the 1.4 extender to that one also.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #97011 by Jerry1
Yes, I've heard the 1.4x works well on the 400 5.6L but you lose AF with most of them or have to do some taping of pins. Not familiar with that as I've never used an extender but do plan on getting one for my 300. I heard people with 500 and 600 say they want more. I think with birds it's always a quest for more reach because most birds are hard to approach and the small ones like the songbirds and hummers are hard to fill the frame. But many are easy to bring in closer to you and that's what I'm trying to learn right now. And that way you can control the setting and get the kind of backgrounds and compositions you want. There have been a number of websites I have visited that talk about techniques and the photos these people have taken are works of art that I can only hope to produce some day. But it's a really enjoyable experience trying to learn and every small accomplishment brings renewed enthusiasm. Good shooting to you guys.

12 years 10 months ago #98053 by dilbarmano
thanks baydream and jerry... :cheer:

i am just waiting for the right time to pull out my money and acquire both 7d and this lens..

ofcourse , i'll get some whacking :catfight: from my wife , but i am used to it ;) ... i'll keep it as secret and inform her once i get it :lol:

thanks once again guyz..

Cheers
Mano

Cheers
Mano

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024