Do Macs really handle PS better?

13 years 2 months ago #26408 by Paul F
If you watch any type of tutorial on photoshop, a Mac of some sort is being used. My question is, do they really handle image processing programs such as Photoshop better?

13 years 2 months ago #26409 by Redhouse
macs have been the industry standard for photography for years but I find that I can process my photos and do anything I need to them just fine with my PC. Nowadays Macs are nearly PCs anyway since they share the same processors.

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #26414 by Baydream

Redhouse wrote: macs have been the industry standard for photography for years but I find that I can process my photos and do anything I need to them just fine with my PC. Nowadays Macs are nearly PCs anyway since they share the same processors.

Macs have enjoyed that edge in part because they use separate processors for video and audio from the main processor, providing more speed. You would notice that when a Mac went into screen saver mode, the main CPU was idle. Not so with the PC. Now with PCs running Windows 7, the 3 GB "cap" on RAM has been lifted.New laptops are being sold at reasonable prices with 6 and 8GB at 1/3 the price of a Mac.
My other concern with the Mac is the Steve Jobs has been the driver behind Apple and iPhone for years. With his health issues, what will the future hold for Apple?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #26533 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote: Macs have enjoyed that edge in part because they use separate processors for video and audio from the main processor, providing more speed. You would notice that when a Mac went into screen saver mode, the main CPU was idle. Not so with the PC. Now with PCs running Windows 7, the 3 GB "cap" on RAM has been lifted.New laptops are being sold at reasonable prices with 6 and 8GB at 1/3 the price of a Mac.

Macs are also build on the Unix Kernel (more stable). Also it can only use a small range of hardware (which adds to cost but also increases stability).

Windows 7 is the only windows OS to get close to mac with stability. So these days it's more a personal choice of what you want. :)

Baydream wrote: My other concern with the Mac is the Steve Jobs has been the driver behind Apple and iPhone for years. With his health issues, what will the future hold for Apple?

I think if Steve Jobs went for whatever reason Apple stock would drop a bit, then they'd get another "face" out there. Once people got use to that it would be fine. The board that backs up Steve Jobs can easily take over the running of the company. In fact they already run the company, it's just Steve Jobs that has final say... which is why certain abilities aren't allowed into the iPhone that would make it rock more...

IMHO after a small stock dip, Apple would actually get better. Finally the iPhone would get FLASH. :whistle:
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #26567 by Baydream
[/quote]IMHO after a small stock dip, Apple would actually get better. Finally the iPhone would get FLASH. :whistle:[/quote]
Good point. I worked for a company that had a "spat" with IBM over "big iron" so they shifted entirely to Unisys (Burroughs). It left them hurting for technical staff until they merged with an IBM shop. Flash would make the iPhone better but the personal policy of Mr. Jobs stands in the way just as it did for some many programs in the early Apple days.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #26569 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote: Good point. I worked for a company that had a "spat" with IBM over "big iron" so they shifted entirely to Unisys (Burroughs). It left them hurting for technical staff until they merged with an IBM shop. Flash would make the iPhone better but the personal policy of Mr. Jobs stands in the way just as it did for some many programs in the early Apple days.

His attitude on flash reminds me of Sony. They always want control over things.
13 years 2 months ago #26643 by Paul F
So pretty much PCs now a days can handle photoshop the same as a mac can. If the PC is running Windows 7.

13 years 2 months ago #27006 by Stealthy Ninja

Paul F wrote: So pretty much PCs now a days can handle photoshop the same as a mac can. If the PC is running Windows 7.

Pretty much so, yeah.
13 years 2 months ago #27077 by Yasko

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Paul F wrote: So pretty much PCs now a days can handle photoshop the same as a mac can. If the PC is running Windows 7.

Pretty much so, yeah.

If you know how to keep your PC running clean (don't visit dangerous sites, no dangerous/illegal downloads, virus protection, and use a registry cleaner regularly), you won't have slow PS whatsoever. I don't. :side:

13 years 2 months ago #27728 by Stealthy Ninja

Yasko wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Pretty much so, yeah.

If you know how to keep your PC running clean (don't visit dangerous sites, no dangerous/illegal downloads, virus protection, and use a registry cleaner regularly), you won't have slow PS whatsoever. I don't. :side:

Do all that.. or buy a mac. :whistle:

LOL just had to get a dig in. :banana:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024