Can iMac Pro memory be upgraded after the fact?

2 years 2 months ago #681168 by CatherineW
My Macbook can't, which sucks.  Can the iMac Pro memory be upgraded after the purchase?  

Just trying to save a few bucks in the start.  

Thank you

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 2 months ago #681240 by 7Wishes
The short answer is yes you can. But unlike the non pro iMacs it is a considerable undertaking and risks voiding the warranty

2 years 2 months ago #681241 by Nikon Shooter
Both my machines could be… I made sure of it!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

2 years 2 months ago #681245 by garyrhook

CatherineW wrote: My Macbook can't, which sucks.  Can the iMac Pro memory be upgraded after the purchase?

This question was just asked in another thread.... weird.

The memory is soldered onto the board (why? height of components? making upgrades impossible, forcing you to spend money when you realize you need more? Pick one.)

Google it. There are companies out there that will do the work, but of course it voids the warranty. Get what you need up front, or plan on buying a new device in the not-too-distant future.

Photo Comments

2 years 2 months ago #681378 by Eric A
1000% it  can, and there  are a number of videos on YouTube  to show how easy it can be done.  

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments

2 years 2 months ago #681388 by garyrhook

Eric A wrote: 1000% it  can, and there  are a number of videos on YouTube  to show how easy it can be done.  

Suggest being helpful: point to one.

Photo Comments

2 years 2 months ago #681389 by Eric A

garyrhook wrote:

Eric A wrote: 1000% it  can, and there  are a number of videos on YouTube  to show how easy it can be done.  

Suggest being helpful: point to one.

When I responded to this,  I was out walking my dog.  I'm still in park, typing this on my phone.  When I get home, I will link to one.  

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments

2 years 2 months ago #681393 by CatherineW

Nikon Shooter wrote: Both my machines could be… I made sure of it!

Did you do it yourself?  

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments

2 years 2 months ago #681394 by CatherineW

garyrhook wrote:

CatherineW wrote: My Macbook can't, which sucks.  Can the iMac Pro memory be upgraded after the purchase?

This question was just asked in another thread.... weird.

The memory is soldered onto the board (why? height of components? making upgrades impossible, forcing you to spend money when you realize you need more? Pick one.)

Google it. There are companies out there that will do the work, but of course it voids the warranty. Get what you need up front, or plan on buying a new device in the not-too-distant future.

Where? I did a search for my answer first before posting this.  As I recall, someone was asking about an Macbook Pro, which I knew already.  This question is regarding an iMac Pro.  

Anyway, thank you.

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments

2 years 2 months ago #681395 by CatherineW

(hand in face)  Didn't check there.  Good point, thank you.  I will check that next.  If you know of a good video, please share at your convenience.  

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments

2 years 2 months ago #681412 by garyrhook

CatherineW wrote:

garyrhook wrote: Google it. There are companies out there that will do the work, but of course it voids the warranty. Get what you need up front, or plan on buying a new device in the not-too-distant future.

Where? I did a search for my answer first before posting this.  As I recall, someone was asking about an Macbook Pro, which I knew already.  This question is regarding an iMac Pro.  

Anyway, thank you.

I'm not a Mac person, so I don't know the product line. And my mistake, in that I thought we were discussing a laptop, not a desktop. My bad, and apologies for that.

In any event, apparently Apple likes the idea of soldering in memory, so I'm not surprised to see that applied to more than one type of system.

I did see that there are folks out there providing services to change the memory. It is really annoying that vendors use RAM as a cash cow. (It's not just Apple.)

Photo Comments

2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #681424 by Nikon Shooter

CatherineW wrote: Did you do it yourself?  

Sure!

Photo Comments

2 years 2 months ago #681426 by garyrhook
That's an iMac, not an iMac Pro. The Pro does not have a door, nor user-accessible memory slots. It requires disassembling the system.

I was wrong about soldering, but after searching for information on the system under discussion, there's lots of information, and yes, YT videos that show you the procedure. The slots are buried in the chassis.

But the above video is not relevant. to an iMac Pro.

Photo Comments

2 years 2 months ago #681427 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: That's an iMac, not an iMac Pro. The Pro does not have a door, nor user-accessible memory slots. It requires disassembling the system.

Correct… my mistake.

That is among the reasons I didn't go for the iMac Pro
that I though overkill for photography.

Photo Comments

2 years 2 months ago #681825 by CatherineW
Hey thanks everyone, I got the answer I was after.  Stay safe!  

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Looking for Best Budget Camera of 2022? Here’s my pick- Sony ZV-1. This best budget camera is loaded with features that give it lots of bang for your buck.

Feb 18, 2022
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Not every photo book is made alike. Some are superior to others because of the options you get. Learn what to look for in this guide.

Jun 28, 2022

What is the best camera in 2022? That's a loaded question whose answer depends on many factors. In this guide, we'll explore some great options!

Jun 22, 2022

GoPro accessories come in all shapes, sizes and price points. But which ones are the best? We offer our favorite picks in this 2022 guide.

Jun 22, 2022

Not sure how to grow your photography business? Check this beginner business guide to learn a few inside tricks to hit the ground running.

Jun 22, 2022

If you're in the market for some Sony FE lenses for your kit, use this guide to learn more about three excellent prime and zoom lens options.

Jun 22, 2022

If you want to take the best close-up images, you'll need some macro photography lenses to get the clearest, sharpest photos.

Jun 21, 2022

What is a metal print? The easy answer is that it's an image printed on metal. But the best metal prints are a product of a more intricate process.

Jun 21, 2022

After using Linksys routers for many years, I switched to a Synology Router - the RT6600ax. Here are my first impressions!

Jun 15, 2022