PC laptop that is good for heavy photo and video editing?

4 years 5 days ago #682737 by Randy Shaw
Eh, what the heck.  I'll ask one more for the day.  I've been on Amazon today sifting through dozens of PC laptops.  I need something that will work well with heavier lifting programs like Adobe Premiere and Photoshop and Lightroom.

Rather than me going through all these computers, can you just suggest a PC laptop 15 or 17" screen would be great that has the umfff for heavier lifting?  

Photo Comments
4 years 5 days ago - 4 years 5 days ago #682744 by garyrhook
I recently acquired a Dell XPS 15" laptop with an AdobeRGB 4K display. I'm quite happy with it. Lightweight, good battery performance, decent processing. It has an Nvidia adapter in it, for GPU processing, as well as the onboard Intel graphics that drives the display. I did some editing on a recent trip, and aside from GPU-intensive plugins in PS, it worked quite well. Also, I ordered it with an NVME drive, and there's room for an SSD. I'll be adding a 2TB unit at some point.

I had considered an Asus TUF FX705, but the Dell seemed a wiser choise. I know someone with an Asus ROG unit (I forget which model) and they are happy.

One thing I really like about the Dell is that they publish instructions on how to take the unit apart to replace/upgrade components. So I didn't buy everything I want from them (way too spendy) but will upgrade in time.

My daughter has an HP Edge, which seems well built (better than typical). But I've not scoped it out.

A laptop that can equal a desktop will set you back quite a bit, so compromises must be made.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 days ago - 4 years 4 days ago #682747 by JaneK
I don't own one, however my sister does, but those Surface Books, she does video editing work.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 days ago #682748 by Ruby Grace
Check out this Razer Blade

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
4 years 4 days ago #682798 by Eric A
I'm pretty sure the Razer is more of a gamer computer, the Dell mentioned above or the Surface Book will likely be a better choice.  

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
4 years 4 days ago #682837 by Ruby Grace

Eric A wrote: I'm pretty sure the Razer is more of a gamer computer, the Dell mentioned above or the Surface Book will likely be a better choice.  

My husband is the PC user in our house and his laptop is a Razer, which is the reason I recommended.  He's not a gamer, and doesn't even play games, but an engineer.  He loves that computer.  He tried getting me to switch, but I like my MacBook too much.  The video card in these computers are crazy impressive.   Which will be what the OP needs.  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
4 years 4 days ago #682838 by Screamin Scott
Many of the newer "AI" software programs ( especially Topaz products) require a beefier GPU. Integrated GPUs won't suffice.. Here is a link to Gigapixel AI's minimum requirements...

https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012811791-Gigapixel-AI-System-Requirements-

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
4 years 4 days ago #682854 by Jeff Scott

Screamin Scott wrote: Many of the newer "AI" software programs ( especially Topaz products) require a beefier GPU. Integrated GPUs won't suffice.. Here is a link to Gigapixel AI's minimum requirements...

https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012811791-Gigapixel-AI-System-Requirements-

Speaking of Topaz Labs AI, are you happy with it?  I was just looking at some of their software, particularly that Gigapixel program. 

Photo Comments
4 years 4 days ago #682857 by Screamin Scott
I like it although I only have the minimum GPU requirement and it can get slow depending on the amount of enlarging I'm doing...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
4 years 4 days ago #682865 by Colorado Mike

Photo Comments
4 years 3 days ago #682881 by Prago
Why not go with a Mac?

:evil:

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
4 years 3 days ago #682883 by garyrhook

Prago wrote: Why not go with a Mac?

:evil:

Some of us think the MacOS is designed for simpletons that can't think logically. Intuitive, my hiney.

Sorry, not a fan.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 days ago #682889 by Nikon Shooter

Prago wrote: Why not go with a Mac? :evil:

A tool should be chosen in respect to the workflow and the
final goal. I that chain, all MUST work together to aim pain-
lessly to the wanted results.

For videos, through FCPX, the right tool is a Mac. I don't do
that type of production but I've been a Mac user since years
and not much is more bugging to me than to have to work
— live or online — on a student's PC.

I am a fan.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 days ago #683016 by J Hemingway
Look at Alienware, they have been making powerful laptops for some time.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 days ago #683054 by 7Wishes
Have you considered a custom build laptop, you'll probably be able to get a better configured machine cheaper than a mid to high end machine off the shelf. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024