Laptop problem

13 years 1 day ago #52173 by ShutterGuy
My Sony laptop keeps running warm then shutting off?? It has done this a few times so far.

Any ideas?

Photo Comments
13 years 1 day ago #52177 by Zardoz
They do not build them like they used to for one thing, they seem to have less efficient cooling than they used to. My cat never sat on my older laptops! Plug it in, unless you absolutey must plug it in, most of that heat is the battery generating power. Let it breathe, there are even computer stands that have fans in them. Setting a laptop on your lap is a 98.6 heater. I even saw one guy who was uploading a video on y tube put his in the refrigerator and close the door.

13 years 1 day ago #52458 by Baydream
You could have a cooling fan failure which needs attention RIGHT AWAY. If you are a bit tech savvy, open the case and see if the fan is running (be careful not to touch anything). Try using canned air to clean out the machine. The cooling fan may be blocked by dust, dog hair, lint or mouse droppings.

I last item, while a bit of a joke was true. Our Parks & Rec Dept had a desktop that kept shutting down from overheating. When we opened the case, we found that field mice had used the PC as a nice warm bathroom.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 day ago #52533 by Stealthy Ninja
Charge the battery
13 years 23 hours ago #52539 by Graflex 4x5

Baydream wrote: .... The cooling fan may be blocked by dust, dog hair, lint or mouse droppings.

:agree:

I have to blow out my heat exchanger every couple weeks. Either that or shave the cats ....

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
13 years 17 hours ago #52628 by Baydream

Graflex 4x5 wrote:

Baydream wrote: .... The cooling fan may be blocked by dust, dog hair, lint or mouse droppings.

I have to blow out my heat exchanger every couple weeks. Either that or shave the cats ....

I you try the second, post photos, please (after you return from the ER).

Photo Comments
13 years 16 hours ago #52637 by Graflex 4x5

Baydream wrote:

Graflex 4x5 wrote:

So .... you've met my cats. You should be glad you never met my one male, Moto Psycho .... If he didn't like you, you left or went to the emergency room. Even the Vet made me sedate him before allowing him in the building.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
13 years 4 hours ago #53031 by Baydream

Graflex 4x5 wrote:

Baydream wrote:

Graflex 4x5 wrote:

So .... you've met my cats. You should be glad you never met my one male, Moto Psycho .... If he didn't like you, you left or went to the emergency room. Even the Vet made me sedate him before allowing him in the building.

The vet or the cat needed sedation? :banana:

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #53125 by Stealthy Ninja
I still say charge the battery.

Don't think it doesn't happen.
12 years 11 months ago #53232 by Baydream

Stealthy Ninja wrote: I still say charge the battery.

Is that CHARGE or CHANGE. A bad battery will heat up severely, up to the point of ignition.
Does it get hot if the battery is not installed.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #54840 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: I still say charge the battery.

Is that CHARGE or CHANGE. A bad battery will heat up severely, up to the point of ignition.
Does it get hot if the battery is not installed.

Charge. I've personally met a guy famous for wondering why his flash kept turning off when all he needed was some fresh batteries.

Here's a picture of him:

Changing it might be a good idea too.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024