Has anyone got a cure for Nikon Softness, I noticed Canon pics are sharper

12 years 4 months ago #180241 by tkguess
I have a Nikon D5000 and although I love the features and have tried different settings and lenses, I can never get the crisp sharpness I am looking for. I went to several online sites and even their sample photos don't have a crisp edge they are mostly soft edges.
I usually have to raise the contrast and go through several types of editing before I get what many Canon cameras seem to do outright.
I have been a Nikon addict since the 35mm EM and have had a few Digital and DSLR Nikons, Actually it seems that the Nikon DX10 seemed to get sharper pics than the 5000.
I have looked this up online and have seen others complain about it but the fixes that are suggested don't make much difference. Any Ideas or am I doomed to sell my Nikon equipment and get the new Canon T3i?
I am not pleased with Nikon anymore and it seems that most people's reply is that I need to buy high end Nikon 2000.00 lenses or 1000.00 bodies to get the pics that a whole T3i kit does for under 1000. Any tips you guys????

TK
12 years 4 months ago #180243 by john_m
I have shot Oly, Cannon and now I'm back to Nikon and haven't noticed this. There are so many variables that can cause soft images, which you probably know. Can you post a sample? Maybe shoot something that has print on it?

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 4 months ago #180245 by McBeth Photography

tkguess wrote: I have a Nikon D5000 and although I love the features and have tried different settings and lenses, I can never get the crisp sharpness I am looking for. I went to several online sites and even their sample photos don't have a crisp edge they are mostly soft edges.
I usually have to raise the contrast and go through several types of editing before I get what many Canon cameras seem to do outright.
I have been a Nikon addict since the 35mm EM and have had a few Digital and DSLR Nikons, Actually it seems that the Nikon DX10 seemed to get sharper pics than the 5000.
I have looked this up online and have seen others complain about it but the fixes that are suggested don't make much difference. Any Ideas or am I doomed to sell my Nikon equipment and get the new Canon T3i?
I am not pleased with Nikon anymore and it seems that most people's reply is that I need to buy high end Nikon 2000.00 lenses or 1000.00 bodies to get the pics that a whole T3i kit does for under 1000. Any tips you guys????

If your D5000 is still under warranty, send it in to be calibrated with your lens. Otherwise, I got nothing .... except for buying a fast prime like the 35mm 1.8G.

It is what it is.
12 years 4 months ago #180276 by Dori
I agree, I have a D5000 with a 35MM 1.8 prime and 70-300 VR and have not noticed any softness.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 4 months ago #180288 by KCook
Are you using the software supplied by Nikon? Or are you struggling with Photoshop? I have zero Nikon experience, but the software supplied by Canon with my Canon "gets me there" quicker and easier than Photoshop.

wrong way Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 4 months ago #180323 by Baydream
It could be your camera - or your lens.
I often see a lot of reviews, especially on telephoto lenses complaining about sharpness. Usually, it's someone trying to hand-hold a 300mm lens.

I shoot Canon, but in both in my camera clubs (Canada - 50 members and Virginia - 140 members), I don't see much difference. The split is pretty even on brands.

I think there may have been a model or two that had issues and that causes a few people to think it is universal.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #180324 by Stealthy Ninja
How are you processing your images? Have you recently switched to RAW?

This is definitely the first I've heard of Nikon somehow being "softer" than Canon. Both are as sharp as the lenses/processing you throw at them.
12 years 4 months ago #181520 by Joves
So what fixes have you tried? Have you tried bumping up the sharpness in the Menu which should be under picture controls? Usually a +1 or 2 works. Some of the problem with Dslrs is that the AA Filter causes softness, they do this to eliminate Morie', which was a problem with unfiltered sensors.

12 years 4 months ago #181725 by tkguess
I have never used the nikon software and i have tried several lenses, I used my daughter's Canon T2i and my Nikon D5000 in the same room and hers are very crisp and clear. Mine have never had that since I bought it, I saw that many D5000s were on recall but mine wasn't among them. I look at many of the comparison sites and I can see the difference on the sample photos, don't know if it is actual focus, noise reduction or contrast, but I see a difference. It takes lots of tweaking to get my pics to look like I want them and I know it has to degrade the quality somewhat in having to do all that.
I will load the Nikon software and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks to all of you who are trying to help and left your comments

TK
12 years 4 months ago #181750 by Rob pix4u2
I haven't noticed a softness in my images and I shoot with two D90 bodies and Nikon Pro glass. As was said bumping up your sharpness may help rather than switching brands. My son has a Canon T3i and I don't notice that his pix are any sharper than mine.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 4 months ago #181807 by photobod
I really dont understand this thread, "Nikon softness" I use two Nikons and have never noticed any softness unless it was deliberate. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 4 months ago #181813 by McBeth Photography
Could it be that she she has a little bit better ISO range with the Canon and therefore is getting a faster shutter speed?

It is what it is.
12 years 4 months ago #181815 by Shadowfixer1
If you are shooting only JPG at the default settings, the Nikon images will generally appear softer than other brands. Nikon let's you decide when setting up the camera and processing the look you want, whereas other brands use more sharpening, contrast and generally more saturation in their default mode. If you shoot only jpegs, set the camera up for more contast, saturation and sharpening than the default. If you shoot RAW, there is virtually no difference and the images should be nearly the same after processing. If you have done all that and they are still softer, then there is a problem with the camera and/or lens.
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #181923 by Stealthy Ninja

Shadowfixer1 wrote: If you are shooting only JPG at the default settings, the Nikon images will generally appear softer than other brands. Nikon let's you decide when setting up the camera and processing the look you want, whereas other brands use more sharpening, contrast and generally more saturation in their default mode. If you shoot only jpegs, set the camera up for more contast, saturation and sharpening than the default. If you shoot RAW, there is virtually no difference and the images should be nearly the same after processing. If you have done all that and they are still softer, then there is a problem with the camera and/or lens.

Yes :agree: Which is why I asked if she was shooting RAW or not. :)

I think an old cartoon I did ages ago might be appropriate here:

It's like the Nikon 35 1.8 So many people have said "it's a bit soft at 1.8". The fact is it isn't, it's just most people suck at shooting shallow DOF shots (me included lol) and it's very easy to miss focus slightly. Therefore people say it's soft at 1.8.

Eliminate user error and you'll find a lot of the "softness" goes away quite quickly. ;)
12 years 4 months ago #183600 by Henry Peach
Your particular camera and/or lens may have sharpness problems, but it's not a brand issue. If you are seeing a significant image quality difference between your DSLR and others you may have a lemon body or lens. If you could find someone else with Nikon gear you might be able to narrow it down whether it's a problem with the body or lens, and then send which ever to Nikon service for repair/tuning.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024