First DSLR

11 years 10 months ago #233450 by Inspector94
Ya that was my point, i don't know if i will be able to use all the features/settings and take the highest IQ photo possible with the D7000 or even the T4i. So if that is true then i should go with the camera with more features i can use. Do you think a starter will be able to learn the features and settings fast, or will it take a year or so? lol

11 years 10 months ago #233453 by Scotty

Inspector94 wrote: Ya that was my point, i don't know if i will be able to use all the features/settings and take the highest IQ photo possible with the D7000 or even the T4i. So if that is true then i should go with the camera with more features i can use. Do you think a starter will be able to learn the features and settings fast, or will it take a year or so? lol

It'll take you awhile to get the swing of things. Learning the camera takes a lot of experience. Just get one feels right and go from there.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inspector94
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #233466 by KCook

Scotty wrote:

Inspector94 wrote: Ya that was my point, i don't know if i will be able to use all the features/settings and take the highest IQ photo possible with the D7000 or even the T4i. So if that is true then i should go with the camera with more features i can use. Do you think a starter will be able to learn the features and settings fast, or will it take a year or so? lol

It'll take you awhile to get the swing of things. Learning the camera takes a lot of experience. Just get one feels right and go from there.

Very good point. My first DSLR was less than half the price of the models you are considering. After about a year and a half with that camera, my ideas on what was important had changed a lot. So for the next DSLR I switched brands. Starting with a bargain DSLR, and expecting it to be a bridge to be burned later, is more practical than reaching for a life long choice from the very first.

"Image quality" is to a large degree in the eye of the beholder. Nikon does score a technical win at extremely high ISO. Canon users just lay on more noise reduction. For normal shooting, using the default settings, both can error. When Canon AE is off, it's more often toward over exposure. Nikon errors tend more toward under exposure. Default colors for Canon are usually rich and slightly warm. Nikon defaults to a more natural saturation, with a slight cool tint. "Defaults" is an important qualifier here, for both brands. Experienced photographers can easily set up either camera to the color characteristics they want, ignoring the defaults. Or just tweak the colors later in post processing with a photo editor.

Also, the details of the design of the controls are quite different. One camera's control design / layout may make more sense to you than the other. Of course if you expect to be an auto-shooter, this is moot, as you won't be fussing with the controls much.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 10 months ago #233666 by rmeyer7
I know I'm not the first to say this...I'm just reiterating it because I think it's important:

Both are excellent cameras, with excellent lenses available, and both will take you a long time to really grow into and master all that they're capable of. You truly cannot go wrong either way. Since both companies -- and their products -- are top-notch, you just have to make the decision based on your personal preference. What feels better? Do you have friends who know photography that you can learn from, who might let you test out their gear? If so, that might be a reason to buy the same brand. It's mainly personal/individual factors like these that will determine which camera is right for you -- rather than a question of which is "better."

11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #233706 by shelland

rmeyer7 wrote: I know I'm not the first to say this...I'm just reiterating it because I think it's important:

Both are excellent cameras, with excellent lenses available, and both will take you a long time to really grow into and master all that they're capable of. You truly cannot go wrong either way. Since both companies -- and their products -- are top-notch, you just have to make the decision based on your personal preference. What feels better? Do you have friends who know photography that you can learn from, who might let you test out their gear? If so, that might be a reason to buy the same brand. It's mainly personal/individual factors like these that will determine which camera is right for you -- rather than a question of which is "better."

Agreed.

As a beginner, you'll likely be more than happy with either. Decide on your price point, then get both brands in your hands. My wife and I both happened to like the feel of Canon. Obviously there are many that prefer Nikon. My wife's sister has a Nikon, and I wasn't a big fan of the feel or the layout compared to ours - very subjective obviously. As stated above, if you have friends that use one brand they might be able to help you learn or even lend lenses, etc for you to try out.

But don't forget how awesome those gray Canon lenses look. B)

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

11 years 10 months ago #234788 by Inspector94
Ok so i headed over to bestbuy which is the only store with displays that i know of around me. Tested them both out after the representative thought i was crazy asking to see the T4i... lol

So i don't mind either cameras, they both feel great and work wonders. i do like the button placements and of course more buttons on the D7000 more so i think im going to get that. Hopefully i will get it before next week for graduation :D. Thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone!

11 years 10 months ago #234803 by Inspector94
Ok i might head back to bestbuy and just buy it xD. Im looking at their bundles, ones with a 55-200 and the other with 55-300. But the 55-300 is 100 bucks more. do you think its worth the upgrade?

hopefully i get a fast reply within the hour. Else i'll just decide on my own... D: lol

11 years 10 months ago #234814 by Scotty

Inspector94 wrote: Ok i might head back to bestbuy and just buy it xD. Im looking at their bundles, ones with a 55-200 and the other with 55-300. But the 55-300 is 100 bucks more. do you think its worth the upgrade?

hopefully i get a fast reply within the hour. Else i'll just decide on my own... D: lol

I would get neither telephoto kit lens.

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #234822 by Inspector94
Well just got back, went with the 200mm, idk it might come in handy when i need it. :)

11 years 10 months ago #234826 by Scotty

Inspector94 wrote: Well just got back, went with the 200mm, idk it might come in handy when i need it. :)

Congrats. Hope to see you post more.

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #234827 by Inspector94
Yep, i still got lots to learn and the more help the better :D

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024