First DSLR

11 years 10 months ago #233410 by Inspector94
Hello Everyone,

Well i want to get a DSLR and this will be my first one. Im currently looking at the Nikon D7000 and the newly released Canon T4i. They both look like very nice cameras with comparable specs? Im not the pro here so idk :D.

I am not quite sure what i will be using it for at the moment, i enjoy action spots but if im the one doing the spot, i really can't use the camera much for this i guess... :) Im getting the impression after some research that the D7000 captures better image quality, but the T4i would be better at videos? Which camera would you say is the best in general not knowing what i will be using it for most yet?

Thanks

11 years 10 months ago #233412 by McBeth Photography

Inspector94 wrote: Hello Everyone,

Well i want to get a DSLR and this will be my first one. Im currently looking at the Nikon D7000 and the newly released Canon T4i. They both look like very nice cameras with comparable specs? Im not the pro here so idk :D.

I am not quite sure what i will be using it for at the moment, i enjoy action spots but if im the one doing the spot, i really can't use the camera much for this i guess... :) Im getting the impression after some research that the D7000 captures better image quality, but the T4i would be better at videos? Which camera would you say is the best in general not knowing what i will be using it for most yet?

Thanks

I would recommend going with Nikon simply because of all the lenses that are out there that will work with the D7000, mainly because Nikon has kept the same lens mount since 1977.

It is what it is.
11 years 10 months ago #233415 by Inspector94
When i was reading up on the cameras it said they both have the same amount of lens available for both cameras. And i don't think the lens issue will come up anytime soon for my uses anyways.

11 years 10 months ago #233431 by KCook
I'm not a pro either, just futzing with cameras for the last half century. D7000 vs T4i is kind of an odd match, as they are intended for different markets. The D7000 is strongly semi-pro, the T4i is aimed at more casual shooters who want the best picture with little effort. Nikon usually wins any specs comparison, they make the top technical solution. Canon fans are more likely to side with design and execution differences that are not shown at all in spec sheets. There are so many nuts-and-bolts to DSLR selection that "best in general" is meaningless. Each is better than the other in various respects.

Whether dipping into the pool of old lenses is important is up to you. Nikon does have an edge here. Canon can also use old lenses (just not Canon!) but gets this done via adapters.

If you want to research this to death, more opinions -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...-you-buy-your-camera

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...ing-a-nikon-vs-canon

theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_on...best-skin-tones.html

neilvn.com/tangents/2009/03/25/ttl-flash-canon-and-nikon/

Kelly Cook
(disclosure: Canon 50D owner)

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: CJMomof2
11 years 10 months ago #233434 by Scotty

KCook wrote: I'm not a pro either, just futzing with cameras for the last half century. D7000 vs T4i is kind of an odd match, as they are intended for different markets. The D7000 is strongly semi-pro, the T4i is aimed at more casual shooters who want the best picture with little effort. Nikon usually wins any specs comparison, they make the top technical solution. Canon fans are more likely to side with design and execution differences that are not shown at all in spec sheets. There are so many nuts-and-bolts to DSLR selection that "best in general" is meaningless. Each is better than the other in various respects.

Whether dipping into the pool of old lenses is important is up to you. Nikon does have an edge here. Canon can also use old lenses (just not Canon!) but gets this done via adapters.

If you want to research this to death, more opinions -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...-you-buy-your-camera

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...ing-a-nikon-vs-canon

theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_on...best-skin-tones.html

neilvn.com/tangents/2009/03/25/ttl-flash-canon-and-nikon/

Kelly Cook
(disclosure: Canon 50D owner)

Agreed, I don't even think they're close in price as well. I'd go to the store, and try both cams out and see what feels good in your hand. Both systems are really good.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #233436 by Inspector94
I tried the t3i and the d7000 out but not the t4i but im going to say its the same? I kinda feel the d7000 has a better feel and button placements but i don't really mind that difference, both feels great so im having a hard time choosing :D. They are both around the same price range of 1.2k-1.3k with sales and all with a lens of 18-105m/18-135mm

11 years 10 months ago #233438 by Scotty

Inspector94 wrote: I tried the t3i and the d7000 out but not the t4i but im going to say its the same? I kinda feel the d7000 has a better feel and button placements but i don't really mind that difference, both feels great so im having a hard time choosing :D. They are both around the same price range of 1.2k-1.3k with sales and all with a lens of 18-105m/18-135mm

D7000 with instant rebate is 1399.99

T4i is 1199 with the lens.

The T4i isn't out yet.

The d7000 is a highly regarded camera. I know nothing about the t4i since it was just announced.

The d7000 has a 1.5 crop length, and the canon has a 1.6. The nikon will appear to give a little wider POV and the Canon will give you more reach artificially.

I've shot both nikon and canon and prefer Nikon. I can see why people shoot canon though.

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #233440 by Inspector94
i saw a D7000 for 1198 but can't seem to find the link right now.

One questions is, who do you guys see being the better company in the future? Who will have a more advanced camera so that when it does come time to upgrade and i do buy more lens, i don't waste that money and keep my lens.

11 years 10 months ago #233441 by Scotty

Inspector94 wrote: i saw a D7000 for 1198 but can't seem to find the link right now.

One questions is, who do you guys see being the better company in the future? Who will have a more advanced camera so that when it does come time to upgrade and i do buy more lens, i don't waste that money and keep my lens.

Nobody will know the answer to that.

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #233443 by Inspector94
aww :( lol, i thought maybe they had a road-map of their plans for future cameras like other technology company do. :)

Well i guess its up to what my needs are now, either go with better video or better photos.

11 years 10 months ago #233444 by Scotty

Inspector94 wrote: aww :( lol, i thought maybe they had a road-map of their plans for future cameras like other technology company do. :)

Well i guess its up to what my needs are now, either go with better video or better photos.

Just know that video on D-SLR's isn't point and shoot. You'll have to spend thousands on a rig to get high end results.

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #233446 by Inspector94
Im not really looking to go in to professional video recording, Just that the t4i has more fps recording for those action shots and slow motion. And i heard the quality of the video is a bit better. Now if this is true or not, i don't know.

11 years 10 months ago #233447 by Scotty

Inspector94 wrote: Im not really looking to go in to professional video recording, Just that the t4i has more fps recording for those action shots and slow motion. And i heard the quality of the video is a bit better. Now if this is true or not, i don't know.

I wouldn't be buying a D-SLR based on video though.

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #233448 by Inspector94
True, but if it has the extra feature apposed to not having it, i would rater get the features.

So how much better is the D7000 compared photo wise? Will i as an amateur or maybe not even... lol be able to take full advantage of its highest qualities and features?

11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #233449 by Scotty

Inspector94 wrote: True, but if it has the extra feature apposed to not having it, i would rater get the features.

So how much better is the D7000 compared photo wise? Will i as an amateur or maybe not even... lol be able to take full advantage of its highest qualities and features?

I don't know. The canon isn't even out yet. IQ is more than camera. Lenses are important, and more important is light, composition, and location.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024