Which camera for a college student budget?

11 years 10 months ago #234489 by ericistan
Hello hello,

I am currently shooting with a canon 450d and since I am double majoring in photography and marketing I figured it's time to upgrade a little bit.
I shoot/plan on shooting portraits, landscapes every now and then, but mostly I'll be taking promo photos/live show photos and I'm having a tough time deciding which camera I should get (I'm on a budget and all cameras have pros and cons).

I have three cameras in mind, the canon 7D, 1D mkiii, or the 1Ds mkii.
all about the same price range right now.

7D would have sharper photos but I don't know about the 1.6x crop factor anymore. It would allow me to use fisheye/ultra wide angle lenses though through the ef-s lenses.
1D mkiii has 10mp which isnt too bad but it is downing it 2 mp from what I already have for over 3 times the price. 1.3 crop which is not as bad but it still isnt full frame and I wont be able to use efs lenses for ultra wide angle shots.
1ds mkii has a full frame which is a big deal to me, cant use efs lenses, 16mp but would be more expensive than the other two. but for pretty much the same price I could get a 5d mkii.

Ive found a 7d for $1000, 1D mkiii for $1500, and a 1DS mkii for $1600. 5d mkiis go for about $1650 now.

11 years 10 months ago #234492 by Scotty
5d mark I and good glass. I know fashion photographers doing commercial work in the high end market using that camera and the blacks it produces are incredible.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #234493 by ericistan
ive also looked into that but im not sure if it would be able to handle the low light situations of a live show with limited stage lights.
i would also be obligated to save up for L lenses. it WOULD save me money in the future but right now im not sure.
The prices ive found are amazing, I suppose I could start out by buying the 5D and being cheaper selling my 450d for a 50mm 1.4?
and then it is already two generations behind would it still be relevant a few years from now?
I hate decisions.

11 years 10 months ago #234507 by Henry Peach

ericistan wrote: ...mostly I'll be taking promo photos/live show photos...

Shooting raw? 5D or 1Ds mkII. Shooting jpeg? 5D. Low light capability is almost identical. In-camera processing is better with the 5D.

5DII is better than either both in low light and in-camera processing.

All the cameras you mentioned are excellent performers in the right hands, even the one you already have. If it's a choice between fancy body with slow lenses or your Rebel with fast lenses, I'd spend my money on fast lenses.
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #234590 by rmeyer7
:agree:
Either way, you want faster lenses. If you shoot RAW, faster glass will make a bigger impact on your low-light performance than a new camera body.

I recently did some comparison shots between my 450D and my 5D just for fun, checking out the noise levels at ISO 1600. Using the same (f/2.8 ) lens on both, there wasn't a huge difference. The 450D needed very minimal noise reduction to match the output of the 5D -- so minimal that the detail wasn't noticeably diminished.

FWIW, I did the same test shots in JPEG and the noise from the 450D was enough to make a shot unusable.

So I would say first priority is good glass, and for the 2nd priority (new camera body) the 5D is a great suggestion. IMHO, the low-light improvement in the 5DmkII isn't worth the extra money. From what I've seen, the mkIII is, but that's a whole other price range.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ericistan

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024