Beginner DSLR for travelling

11 years 7 months ago #252898 by Safyia
Hi,

I am an amateur photographer (meaning I am shooting with my phone recently :lol: ) and I would like to buy a DSLR for beginners. I would like to use it mostly for landscape, sceneries and so. What parameters and cameras should I look for? I like travelling so I prefer a lighter one with good contrast and vibrant colors. Can you recommend me some? Thanks!

11 years 7 months ago #252981 by stschemb
Hi Lea,
There is no easy answer. What you would like to consider is the following factors:
- weigth and dimensions. The leap from a smartphone is a big one nevertheless, you will soon find out that DSLRs are usually big and heavy. Be prepared.
- compatibility and reliability. Buy something that the factory will be able to support for years, you may wish to consider only the bigger companies (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony), for these you will also find most of the accessories and lenses are usually easy to find in big city stores.
- Price. Set a range of prices and see what you can get for that amount. Use Internet as a reference.
- Specifications and performance. Internet is a very good source for that. You can avoid mistakes if you know in advance what a camera can actually do. DpReview is a good source, for example. Read also the specialized magazines, they're a valuable source too.
- What to avoid. Do you really need 25 pictures per second and a 34Mpixel sensor? Will it be usefyul to have 45 selectable points of focus? How often will you take 3D videos with stereo sound? Can you survive without a GPS in your camera? Many features cost extra money which you maybe could spend on a better lens than the one in the kit, maybe.
- Software. Don't forget the dark room! Be prepared to spend some additional money for a processing software, that will make the other half of your photo!

Try to build up an idea and come back with your findings, we'll help!

Kind regards,
Stef

The following user(s) said Thank You: Safyia
11 years 7 months ago #252989 by Darrell
:agree: :agree:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stschemb, Safyia
11 years 7 months ago #253027 by KCook
I know you said "DSLR", but did you really mean "interchangeable lenses"? There is a growing class of cameras called "mirrorless", which have many of the qualities of the traditional DSLR, but come in a smaller, much lighter package. That reduction in bulk can make these more attractive for travel. Here are links that get into these differences -

digital-photography-school.com/is-there-...amera-in-your-future

www.ronmartblog.com/2012/09/what-camera-...uy-2012-edition.html

Contrast and vibrant color are valid concerns when selecting a compact camera. But for advanced cameras you can actually adjust the degree of contrast and color saturation. These adjustments can be made by diving into the camera's menu system, or later on your computer with a photo editing program. There is no one "right way" for this, different folks will have different preferences for arriving at the best contrast and color. Shoot, don't even expect them to agree on exactly what the best is! If you don't want to make these adjusts at any point, then I will go out on a limb and suggest Olympus as the nicest default color. If you don't mind making the adjustments down in the camera's menus, Canon and Nikon have that covered very well. Making the adjustments with a photo editor blows the doors wide open, the camera is actually out of this equation at that point. In fact most advanced photographers prefer doing these adjustments with an editing program on their computer.

Lots of nuts-and-bolts to consider once you move beyond the consumer point-and-shoot cameras. We've all been through this.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Safyia
11 years 7 months ago #253048 by Safyia
Thanks everyone for opinions and advice :thx2:

I was thinking about mirrorless cameras but somehow I am quite sure I will love photography and so I rather go for a DSLR. If I later want to try something else than shooting on trips :silly:
After reading some reviews and a little research I came up with these two cameras : Nikon D7000 or Canon EOS 60D. Maybe I prefer Nikon a little bit :)

11 years 7 months ago #253054 by KCook
Both of those cameras are quite popular. I happen to have the Canon 50D, which was the model the 60D replaced. Links to lots more thoughts on DSLR brands -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...-you-buy-your-camera

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...ing-a-nikon-vs-canon

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024