Mirrorless Cameras

11 years 1 month ago #277078 by Baydream
A friend called tonight to ask if I had, or knew someone with, a mirrorless camera. I don't have experience with these so I told her I would ask here.
My understanding is that you get a larger sensor than a "compact" but a smaller size than a DSLR. The Nex seems to be a bit of a hybrid with its viewfinder design.
How does the cost of lens stack up with DSLRs?

My friend is planning a trip to Italy and wants a decent camera for her husband.

Any comments would be helpful.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #277097 by KCook
Well, I was curious too, so I just bought a used Olympus PL2. Which has a 4/3 sensor, smaller than the Sony NEX.

Lens prices for mirrorless are kind of the Wild West. New lenses, fully auto everything, are pricey for what you get. New DSLR lenses are a better value, IMHO. On the other hand any mirrorless body can take any legacy lens ever made, thanks to adapters. This puts you firmly in Manual Focus territory, but those antique SLR lenses are dirt cheap on eBay. As none of the mirrorless bodies are full frame, this legacy game does not include wide angle. Of course casual users are not likely to have much interest in adapters and hunting down legacy lenses. As for new lenses, the ones for Panasonic appear especially pricey to me.

All of the mirrorless brands have the usual 3X kit lens, plus a tele zoom, and a "pancake" prime. For those at least the prices should not be too bad.

The differences between the various mirrorless models are more serious than the differences between various DSLR. So research (or an easy return policy) is important. And I mean research beyond the hoary old "how does it fit in your hands" that you hear all the time for DSLR selection.

I'm having a ball with my PL2. But it won't completely replace my DSLR. And I'm pretty sure most folks who just want a full auto snap shooter would be happier with an SLR-like ultrazoom point-and-shoot.

what was the question? Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Baydream, robbie
11 years 1 month ago #277137 by Baydream
Very helpful, Kelly. I will talk to my friend about her husbands experience level and quality expectations. My guess is for travel, a higher end P&S may be the ticket. The only complaint I have with P&S (besides smaller sensors) is the shutter lag for action shots.
They are getting so much better every day.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #277170 by KCook
Yup. I could really be tempted by a Fuji X20 or X100.

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 1 month ago #277205 by MajorMagee
Mirrorless is great for travel because of the low weigh and compactness.

It may not be Italy, but this was the Venice of China - Wuzhen Xizha

E-PL1 with Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 Pancake

Here's an example of the low light performance at the Clock Exhibit in the Forbidden City.

E-PL1 with Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 Pancake

This was a very light and easy to pack combination for a mult-week trip overseas. There were only one or two situations during the trip where I needed a zoom and this kit didn't fully suit my needs.

The image quality of the newer models like the OM-D E-M5 and the PEN E-PL5 is far above anything you'll get from a P&S and on par with the mid-range APS-C DSLRs.

The Olympus native lenses are generally less expensive than the equivalent Panasonic ones because the Oly image stabilization is in the body and not the lens. That's also what makes it perfect for using the older high quality glass.

I love shooting with the legacy manual lenses.

E-PL2 with Zuiko OM 50mm f/1.4 on Fotodiox Adapter

11 years 1 month ago #277254 by MajorMagee
Here are some other excellent examples of Mirrorless travel photography.

France, Greece, and Jordan

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024