Buying used camera advice needed

4 years 8 months ago #652244 by Calendyr
Hello guys,

I am in the process of trying to find an upgrade for my Olympus E-410 camera.

Someone on this forum suggested to go with an Olympus OM-D E-M1 and use an adapter for my current lenses.

My questions are: Are there other Micro Four Thirds camera that would be better and still be able to use my lenses (with an adapter)

I read that shutter count was irrelevant with mirrorless camera, is that true?  If not, what is the max shutter count I should consider buying?

My budget is about 400-500$.  I might be willing to go a little higher if there is a huge difference in quality with the more expensive camera.

I just lost a bid war on ebay on a camera of this model for 400 CAN$.  The camera had 9000 shutter counter count and was in excellent condition.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Daniel


,
4 years 8 months ago #652263 by Nikon Shooter

Calendyr wrote: I read that shutter count was irrelevant with mirrorless camera, is that true?


Hey Daniel,

The shutter count reveals the number of time the trigger
raised the mirror and opened the shutter to close and
lower them again… at every single actuation.

For mirrorless, it is irrelevant.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
,
4 years 8 months ago #652279 by Calendyr
Ok, just wanted to make sure there wasn't any other mechanical part in the camera that was wearing out even in mirrorless.

Thanks!


,
4 years 8 months ago #652289 by Shadowfixer1

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Calendyr wrote: I read that shutter count was irrelevant with mirrorless camera, is that true?


Hey Daniel,

The shutter count reveals the number of time the trigger
raised the mirror and opened the shutter to close and
lower them again… at every single actuation.

For mirrorless, it is irrelevant.

Sorry, but you are way off base here. A flappy mirror has nothing to do with the shutter count. Mirrorless cameras have shutters just like DSLR cameras. Shutter count matters. It is true that newer mirrorless cameras have an electronic shutter available for silent shooting but they also have a mechanical shutter which you need for action based images due to rolling shutter with electronic. The shutter count being critical depends on the camera model selected. The higher end cameras have a more reliable shutter just like higher end DSLR's. I recommended the E-M1 because it uses PDAF for focusing. Yes there are lower end models available that will use the older lenses with the adapter but they only use contrast detection for focus so focusing is painfully slow and not as reliable as a camera that uses PDAF. KEH, MPB, Adorama, B&H along with others sell the E-M1 with a 6 month warranty. I consider that much better than Ebay. Here is KEH listing.

www.keh.com/shop/olympus-om-d-e-m1-16-3-...body-only-black.html
,
4 years 8 months ago #652344 by Calendyr

Shadowfixer1 wrote:
For mirrorless, it is irrelevant.

Sorry, but you are way off base here. A flappy mirror has nothing to do with the shutter count. Mirrorless cameras have shutters just like DSLR cameras. Shutter count matters. It is true that newer mirrorless cameras have an electronic shutter available for silent shooting but they also have a mechanical shutter which you need for action based images due to rolling shutter with electronic. The shutter count being critical depends on the camera model selected. The higher end cameras have a more reliable shutter just like higher end DSLR's. I recommended the E-M1 because it uses PDAF for focusing. Yes there are lower end models available that will use the older lenses with the adapter but they only use contrast detection for focus so focusing is painfully slow and not as reliable as a camera that uses PDAF. KEH, MPB, Adorama, B&H along with others sell the E-M1 with a 6 month warranty. I consider that much better than Ebay. Here is KEH listing.

www.keh.com/shop/olympus-om-d-e-m1-16-3-...body-only-black.html [/quote]

Thanks, I will have a look. 


,
4 years 8 months ago #652505 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: A flappy mirror has nothing to do with the shutter count. Mirrorless cameras have shutters just like DSLR cameras. Shutter count matters. It is true that newer mirrorless cameras have an electronic shutter available for silent shooting but they also have a mechanical shutter which you need for action based images due to rolling shutter with electronic. The shutter count being critical depends on the camera model selected. The higher end cameras have a more reliable shutter just like higher end DSLR's. I recommended the E-M1 because it uses PDAF for focusing. Yes there are lower end models available that will use the older lenses with the adapter but they only use contrast detection for focus so focusing is painfully slow and not as reliable as a camera that uses PDAF. KEH, MPB, Adorama, B&H along with others sell the E-M1 with a 6 month warranty. I consider that much better than Ebay.


If one is going to be helpful, one should have facts to support one's input, and (ideally) experience to support that input. Randy knows what he's talking about.


Photo Comments
,

817.3K

241K

  • Facebook

    817,251 / Likes

  • Twitter

    241,000 / Followers

  • Google+

    1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024