Buying used camera advice needed

5 years 6 days ago #652244 by Calendyr
Hello guys,

I am in the process of trying to find an upgrade for my Olympus E-410 camera.

Someone on this forum suggested to go with an Olympus OM-D E-M1 and use an adapter for my current lenses.

My questions are: Are there other Micro Four Thirds camera that would be better and still be able to use my lenses (with an adapter)

I read that shutter count was irrelevant with mirrorless camera, is that true?  If not, what is the max shutter count I should consider buying?

My budget is about 400-500$.  I might be willing to go a little higher if there is a huge difference in quality with the more expensive camera.

I just lost a bid war on ebay on a camera of this model for 400 CAN$.  The camera had 9000 shutter counter count and was in excellent condition.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Daniel

5 years 6 days ago #652263 by Nikon Shooter

Calendyr wrote: I read that shutter count was irrelevant with mirrorless camera, is that true?

Hey Daniel,

The shutter count reveals the number of time the trigger
raised the mirror and opened the shutter to close and
lower them again… at every single actuation.

For mirrorless, it is irrelevant.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 6 days ago #652279 by Calendyr
Ok, just wanted to make sure there wasn't any other mechanical part in the camera that was wearing out even in mirrorless.

Thanks!

5 years 6 days ago #652289 by Shadowfixer1

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Calendyr wrote: I read that shutter count was irrelevant with mirrorless camera, is that true?

Hey Daniel,

The shutter count reveals the number of time the trigger
raised the mirror and opened the shutter to close and
lower them again… at every single actuation.

Sorry, but you are way off base here. A flappy mirror has nothing to do with the shutter count. Mirrorless cameras have shutters just like DSLR cameras. Shutter count matters. It is true that newer mirrorless cameras have an electronic shutter available for silent shooting but they also have a mechanical shutter which you need for action based images due to rolling shutter with electronic. The shutter count being critical depends on the camera model selected. The higher end cameras have a more reliable shutter just like higher end DSLR's. I recommended the E-M1 because it uses PDAF for focusing. Yes there are lower end models available that will use the older lenses with the adapter but they only use contrast detection for focus so focusing is painfully slow and not as reliable as a camera that uses PDAF. KEH, MPB, Adorama, B&H along with others sell the E-M1 with a 6 month warranty. I consider that much better than Ebay. Here is KEH listing.

www.keh.com/shop/olympus-om-d-e-m1-16-3-...body-only-black.html
5 years 5 days ago #652344 by Calendyr

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Sorry, but you are way off base here. A flappy mirror has nothing to do with the shutter count. Mirrorless cameras have shutters just like DSLR cameras. Shutter count matters. It is true that newer mirrorless cameras have an electronic shutter available for silent shooting but they also have a mechanical shutter which you need for action based images due to rolling shutter with electronic. The shutter count being critical depends on the camera model selected. The higher end cameras have a more reliable shutter just like higher end DSLR's. I recommended the E-M1 because it uses PDAF for focusing. Yes there are lower end models available that will use the older lenses with the adapter but they only use contrast detection for focus so focusing is painfully slow and not as reliable as a camera that uses PDAF. KEH, MPB, Adorama, B&H along with others sell the E-M1 with a 6 month warranty. I consider that much better than Ebay. Here is KEH listing.

www.keh.com/shop/olympus-om-d-e-m1-16-3-...body-only-black.html [/quote]

Thanks, I will have a look. 

5 years 4 days ago #652505 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: A flappy mirror has nothing to do with the shutter count. Mirrorless cameras have shutters just like DSLR cameras. Shutter count matters. It is true that newer mirrorless cameras have an electronic shutter available for silent shooting but they also have a mechanical shutter which you need for action based images due to rolling shutter with electronic. The shutter count being critical depends on the camera model selected. The higher end cameras have a more reliable shutter just like higher end DSLR's. I recommended the E-M1 because it uses PDAF for focusing. Yes there are lower end models available that will use the older lenses with the adapter but they only use contrast detection for focus so focusing is painfully slow and not as reliable as a camera that uses PDAF. KEH, MPB, Adorama, B&H along with others sell the E-M1 with a 6 month warranty. I consider that much better than Ebay.

If one is going to be helpful, one should have facts to support one's input, and (ideally) experience to support that input. Randy knows what he's talking about.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024