Used Nikon D800 - Good Idea?

1 year 1 month ago #661541 by New but trying
I'm looking to buy a new camera in the somewhat near future and I've decided to stick with Nikon DSLRs. I was thinking of getting a refurbished D7500 for $600 from B&H, but I started looking at used cameras... Uh so, a used D800 isn't actually much more than that. At KEH, for example, you can get an excellent example for under $700 (with the 10% discount). That's a lot of camera for the money. Of course, it's a lot higher resolution than the D7500. A larger viewfinder (which is one of my favorite parts of 35mm film cameras) and other advantages of full frame. Of course, lenses cost and weigh more, though there are still a lot of affordable lenses, and a lot of the ones I want for DX are FX lenses (FX ultrawides are significantly more, however). Lastly, there is the weight... I come from a D3300, so a D800 is literally double the weight and still considerably heavier than a D7500. But come on... it's full-frame! All joking aside, there's a pretty interesting debate going on between my heart and my brain. I'll definitely have to check out some FX cameras. I held a D850 and was practically smitten, actually.

For reference, I do a lot of mixed shooting, though I mainly enjoy landscape and wildlife photography. The D800 seems to be better for the former, though the d7500 may be better for wildlife photography because of the higher frame rate, though that hasn't been much of an issue on my D3300 (autofocus and tracking are bigger issues). The crop sensor also gives more reach and has a greater pixel density, so maybe it'll be better. Video, while nice on the D7500, is not really a deciding factor.

As a side note, there are surprisingly few used D800s (guess no one wants to get rid of them :P ).

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 1 month ago #661547 by Nikon Shooter
Weight is still not in the equation, it is all a matter of
DR and iQ. In this, the D800E served me very well and
specially in wildlife applications.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

1 year 1 month ago #661604 by New but trying
I'm definitely considering it.

Photo Comments

1 year 3 weeks ago #664338 by effron
I still use a D800, you will NOT do better for that 700 bucks! You'll need good glass for that 36+ MPs to shine though, keep that in mind.
Mine's not for sale, btw.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #664346 by New but trying
I've actually decided to up my budget and go mirrorless after spending a week with a Sony a6500. I really don't think I would like a huge camera like a D800, especially not with the bigger, heavier glass (also significantly more expensive). I'm saving up for a Fuji XT-3 because I've decided that I don't really need full-frame, and the Fuji has excellent AF and an excellent burst rate for wildlife. There's a good assortment of lenses too, and new adapters seem to be very promising, even with telephoto lenses (like the Sigma 100-400). It also just seems like a great all-rounder; something I could use for anything and wouldn't take up too much space or weight.

Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #664602 by Instamixes
Yes, Using Nikon D800 is a good idea. It is well known for its features and quality.

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The GoPro Hero 8 Black has since been replaced with the Hero 9 Black, but it's still a feature-rich action camera with plenty of mods to make it a great camera for you.

Nov 16, 2020

The Sony a9 II is a feature-rich full frame camera with superb image quality and video performance. In this review, learn all about its specs and capabilities.

Nov 12, 2020

In this Panasonic Lumix DC-G100 review, we'll look at the specs, features, build quality, price and more of this affordable camera for vloggers.

Nov 11, 2020

Is the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV the right camera for you? Or should you opt for the cheaper Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III? Find out in this review!

Nov 09, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you need some stocking stuffer ideas for your photography friends (or non-photography friends, for that matter...) check out this list of awesome Holdfast products.

Nov 23, 2020

With these holiday promo ideas for photographers, you'll get some solid ideas for boosting business as 2020 comes to a close.

Nov 23, 2020

Learning how to use a slider should begin with some basic slider techniques. Get some tips, tricks, and insights on simple slider shots in this quick tutorial.

Nov 23, 2020

Acrylic prints can be a beautiful addition to your home. But if you've never bought one, you probably have acrylic print questions. Get the answers you need in this buyer's guide.

Nov 20, 2020

To stabilize a camera doesn't always mean having a tripod. Instead, there are many tripod alternatives and makeshift tripods you can use to stabilize your camera.

Nov 20, 2020

What is focal length? How does it differ from effective focal length? In this tutorial, we'll shed light on the differences between the two.

Nov 17, 2020

These underused Photoshop tools can help you unlock your creativity and create more impactful images.

Nov 17, 2020

Search no more for the best laptops for photographers under $1000. This list includes five of the top picks based on specs, features, and price.

Nov 16, 2020