Full frame or not

4 months 1 week ago #690780 by 2guns
I’ve got a T5i. I’ve been using it verses an older XTI. I am shooting 90% landscape and nature. Video doesn’t matter. 
ive been eyeballing all the Canon 5d Mark ll cameras on mph site. Missed a few with 30,000 shutter counts. I’ve used a friends 70d a few times and really like it but wondering how much better the 90d might be. I’ve used the original Mark 5 once or twice but would like to go full frame. I’ve got some decent ef lenses that would fit both but have more efs which will not fit the full frame. Which would you go with for outdoor photography. I did notice that the older 5d with my canon macro does way better on flowers and color seems richer than the 70d. I’m asking the experts.  I’d like to have both but extra money could go toward lenses. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 1 week ago #690791 by Nikon Shooter
Go FF… what ever the make.
Good lenses are always the better investments.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

4 months 1 week ago #690800 by 2guns
That was what I was thinking. I know the newer asp have more focal points and features than my older T5i but the full frame has always seemed richer in color. If I didn’t have all these lenses I’d consider the Nikon 

4 months 1 week ago #690801 by Nikon Shooter
When digital entered the scene at the end of the F4 era,
Most my colleagues switched to canon… but not me.

Happy I did not follow the then trend… as always.

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #698069 by Naheed
If you can buy both, buy them. However, the EOS 90D has a 32.5MP APS-C sensor that yields lenses 1.6x the telephoto limit they would have on a full-frame camera.

1 month 2 weeks ago #698077 by Nikon Shooter
I totally disagree with your post, Naheed.

Sorry but suggesting to invest in two systems is not a very
good proposition… specially based on an untrue statement.

A crop sensor will NEVER yield a 1.6x that you suggest can
be gained in focal length, it just pre-crops the capture thus
reducing the AoV — angle of view.

That thing with the gain in focal length must have been a sa-
les pitch that stuck over time.

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #698102 by Piechura

Nikon Shooter wrote: A crop sensor will NEVER yield a 1.6x that you suggest can
be gained in focal length, it just pre-crops the capture thus
reducing the AoV — angle of view.

That thing with the gain in focal length must have been a sa-
les pitch that stuck over time.

This.

And most full frame cameras will have an APS-C mode anyway that allows you to punch in. Useful for video, but with photos you might as well use the whole sensor and just crop afterwards.

1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #698109 by Nikon Shooter

2guns wrote: I know the newer asp have more focal points…

You mean focus points?
I never use more than one… I don't get the fuss!

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #698301 by 2guns
I was going to buy the 6D Mark ll but wound up going with the RP and adapter and my ef lenses with exception of the 18+135 kit lens that came with it. Really like the evf with older eyes. So far I’m more than satisfied. You are correct that no matter how many focal points I usually use just one but do expand if shooting sports sometimes. 
The T5i and the 80D served me well but I do like the full frame. I still keep the old Canon XTI with me most times just in case in bad situation if it gets damaged I’m not out much.  I still prefer the 80D for sports photography. 

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The GoPro Hero 8 Black has since been replaced with the Hero 9 Black, but it's still a feature-rich action camera with plenty of mods to make it a great camera for you.

Nov 16, 2020

The Sony a9 II is a feature-rich full frame camera with superb image quality and video performance. In this review, learn all about its specs and capabilities.

Nov 12, 2020

In this Panasonic Lumix DC-G100 review, we'll look at the specs, features, build quality, price and more of this affordable camera for vloggers.

Nov 11, 2020

Is the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV the right camera for you? Or should you opt for the cheaper Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III? Find out in this review!

Nov 09, 2020

Latest Articles

If you need some stocking stuffer ideas for your photography friends (or non-photography friends, for that matter...) check out this list of awesome Holdfast products.

Nov 23, 2020

With these holiday promo ideas for photographers, you'll get some solid ideas for boosting business as 2020 comes to a close.

Nov 23, 2020

Learning how to use a slider should begin with some basic slider techniques. Get some tips, tricks, and insights on simple slider shots in this quick tutorial.

Nov 23, 2020

Acrylic prints can be a beautiful addition to your home. But if you've never bought one, you probably have acrylic print questions. Get the answers you need in this buyer's guide.

Nov 20, 2020

To stabilize a camera doesn't always mean having a tripod. Instead, there are many tripod alternatives and makeshift tripods you can use to stabilize your camera.

Nov 20, 2020

What is focal length? How does it differ from effective focal length? In this tutorial, we'll shed light on the differences between the two.

Nov 17, 2020

These underused Photoshop tools can help you unlock your creativity and create more impactful images.

Nov 17, 2020

Search no more for the best laptops for photographers under $1000. This list includes five of the top picks based on specs, features, and price.

Nov 16, 2020