Viewfinder Size (Film SLR Vs DSLR)

12 years 11 months ago #71533 by HyperJ
So, my father is finally thinking about taking the leap from SLR to DSLR. He tried out my camera, but all his pictures came out blurry. We realized the tiny viewfinder makes it harder to manually focus the camera, and when it finally is in focus, it's much harder to see the DOF, when compared with his film camera. I also think composing the shot is marginally harder in a smaller viewfinder.

So, what DSLRs have larger viewfinders?

12 years 11 months ago #71535 by Powell Pink
The Digital SLR cameras that have larger viewfinders are 'full frame' DSLR cameras.
Most DSLR cameras have a sensor that is somewhat smaller than a frame of 35mm film but some of them do have a sensor that is the same size as 35mm film....we often call them 'full frame'.
Examples of current models are; Canon 1Ds III, Canon 5D II, Nikon D700, Nikon D3. You probably won't find a new one for less than $2500 though.

12 years 11 months ago #71539 by HyperJ
Thanks for the quick response! So, if I'm understanding you right, the size of the viewfinder is linked to the size of the sensor/film? So a 35mm SLR will always have a larger viewfinder than a crop sensor?

If not, do you have any suggestions on entry level DSLRs with slightly larger viewfinders?

12 years 11 months ago #71549 by Powell Pink
Essential yes...although I'm sure there are other factors. Some are probably made smaller to save space & weight on the camera. I'm not sure if the use of a 'penta-mirror' rather than a 'penta-prism' makes a difference...but cheaper cameras tend to have mirrors.

I'm not sure which entry level cameras have bigger viewfinders, or if any of them are even bigger than others.

Manual focusing and checking the DOF certainly is harder with these cameras, but you also have the advantage of instant review on the LCD screen. So you can take a shot, then check it right away.

12 years 11 months ago #71551 by HyperJ

Powell Pink wrote:
Manual focusing and checking the DOF certainly is harder with these cameras, but you also have the advantage of instant review on the LCD screen. So you can take a shot, then check it right away.

Very true.

In any case, it sounds like my father will just have to get used to the smaller viewfinder until he can save up for a higher end camera.

Thanks.

12 years 11 months ago #71595 by Baydream
He may need to adjust the diopter to get a clear view. The other option is using live view (if available) on his camera and view through the LCD. Several companies made magnifiers for the LCD screen also.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #71601 by MLKstudios
You can find used 5D's fairly cheap. A fast lens helps make a brighter image too.

Matthew

PS True Baydream, the diopter may have been set wrong for him. Not many film cameras had one built in.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #71661 by Henry Peach
The smaller viewfinders was something I really noticed when I switched from film to digital. I've installed special focus screens in every one of my DSLRs to help with manual focusing. I got split ring screens from Katzeye Optics for my 20D's and 40D's. They did help, but APS-C format viewfinders are just small if you are used to something else (especially if you are old enough to remember that 35mm used to be called "small format" rather than "full frame" :) ).

Lenses with a larger max aperture will brighten the viewfinder, but some stock focus screens (for instance Canon) are made for zooms and even if using a fast prime you may not be able to brighten the viewfinder more than f/2.8. If your camera manufacturer doesn't offer alternate focus screens for your camera model somebody else probably does.

These days I'm using 5D's & 5DII's with f/2.8 zooms and primes. I've installed the official Canon super precision bright screen in some, and a split cross screen I got from slrdaren.com in others. The Canon screen is brighter, but I'm not really experiencing their "snaps into focus" sales pitch. I wish it had a split ring. Even with these mods my 35mm DSLR viewfinders are still not as big and bright as my old Nikon FM2n's (which cost me a tenth of the price and are 25+ years old).

I guess there's always live view. ;)
12 years 11 months ago #73129 by chasrich
There are several ways you might go...

For example the LCD viewfinder... with magnification. cgi.ebay.com/Prolite-2-8X-DSLR-LCD-Viewf...3eb81#ht_3188wt_1138

Or the more practical (?) magnifying viewfinder replacement...
cgi.ebay.com/Magnification-View-Finder-1...f547f5#ht_2130wt_908

I just picked these at random. But you can do a more specific search.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #73403 by Joves

Henry Peach wrote: The smaller viewfinders was something I really noticed when I switched from film to digital. I've installed special focus screens in every one of my DSLRs to help with manual focusing. I got split ring screens from Katzeye Optics for my 20D's and 40D's. They did help, but APS-C format viewfinders are just small if you are used to something else (especially if you are old enough to remember that 35mm used to be called "small format" rather than "full frame" :) ).

Lenses with a larger max aperture will brighten the viewfinder, but some stock focus screens (for instance Canon) are made for zooms and even if using a fast prime you may not be able to brighten the viewfinder more than f/2.8. If your camera manufacturer doesn't offer alternate focus screens for your camera model somebody else probably does.

These days I'm using 5D's & 5DII's with f/2.8 zooms and primes. I've installed the official Canon super precision bright screen in some, and a split cross screen I got from slrdaren.com in others. The Canon screen is brighter, but I'm not really experiencing their "snaps into focus" sales pitch. I wish it had a split ring. Even with these mods my 35mm DSLR viewfinders are still not as big and bright as my old Nikon FM2n's (which cost me a tenth of the price and are 25+ years old).

I guess there's always live view. ;)

:agree: :goodpost:
For manual focus the Katzeye is your best friend. Also on Dslrs even though you are focusing manually the camera still gauges focus, well atleat Nikons do. If you look in the View Finder look for the green dot to show for focus. My D300 has a good sized VF with 99% coverage. But when going full manual I use the Katzeye. He maybe able to find a decently priced D300 on KEH.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024