Looking at HDR post processing software needed

12 years 9 months ago #117620 by Robert Chen
Hey guys,

Which of these HDR software work best? Easier to use? Nik Software or PhotoMatix? I've seen some great HDR photos and I would really like to improve my skills on this side of things.

Rob

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #117682 by Nikonjan
I have Photomatix, it's easy. I don't use it a whole lot because I can do about the same look with Topaz or with my sliders in Adobe bridge.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 9 months ago #117737 by steveheap
I have both Photomatix and Nik HDR Efex Pro. I really struggled with Photomatix, so many sliders and relatively few presets and the ones that were there were pretty extreme. I saw a demo of the Nik product and was sold on the simplicity, the speed of update of the preview window, the wide range of presets ( with more available from other photographers) and the Nik control point logic where you can change the settings for different parts of your image pretty easily.

Although I have Photomatix still loaded on my PC, I can't remember the last time I used it - I always go to Nik first.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 9 months ago #118105 by Freshstart

steveheap wrote: I have both Photomatix and Nik HDR Efex Pro. I really struggled with Photomatix, so many sliders and relatively few presets and the ones that were there were pretty extreme. I saw a demo of the Nik product and was sold on the simplicity, the speed of update of the preview window, the wide range of presets ( with more available from other photographers) and the Nik control point logic where you can change the settings for different parts of your image pretty easily.

Although I have Photomatix still loaded on my PC, I can't remember the last time I used it - I always go to Nik first.

Steve

How easy is this to pick up and use with no knowledge?

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #118115 by steveheap
I think you could do some pretty good HDR shots with no reading of any manual or instruction. If you have lightroom it automatically puts an "export" there so that you will select your three images, right click to export to Nik HDR, and the program opens with a default treatment. Down the left hand side are all the built in options and you can select each one in turn. The image updates in about 2 seconds to the new preset. When you have one you like, you just save as a TIFF back to lightroom. Nothing else to it.

You can then play with the sliders, add control points to affect smaller parts of the image etc., but these aren't necessary on most shots.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 9 months ago #118116 by butterflygirl921
ok this may sound like a stupid question but what is HDR?

12 years 9 months ago #118117 by fotozone

butterflygirl921 wrote: ok this may sound like a stupid question but what is HDR?

I believe there is no such thing as a stupid question. HDR stands for high dynamic range I do not shoot hdr but this is a thread that should help answer your question.
www.photographytalk.com/forum/tips-and-t...dr-photography#47495
12 years 9 months ago #118118 by steveheap
Good question - we talk about these things as though it is obvious. It stands for high dynamic range photography where you take three or more separate images at different exposures and blend them together to produce one picture that contains all the brightness and shadow detail that our eyes saw in the scene. I wrote a bit about it on my blog in an article about a clever remote control that makes HDR easier to do .

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 9 months ago #118120 by Homer
I believe both companies have free trials, I would down load those trials and play around to see which fits your needs most. Personally I like Nik software. I don't have their HDR software, but I do have their Color Efex. TopazLabs also has a program for HDR, I have used it and like it. But already had Nik installed.

12 years 9 months ago #118136 by butterflygirl921
can you produce an HDR in photoshop??

12 years 9 months ago #118138 by steveheap
Yes, you can produce HDR in photoshop. CS5 is apparently pretty good (but I still find NIK easier with all its presets), but the earlier versions of Photoshop were not too good at HDR.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 9 months ago #118140 by butterflygirl921
ok thank you

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #118143 by Chuck Alaimo Photography
Tried both Nik and photomatix and liked NIK better (ease of use, control interface). Both are compatable with lightroom. I did try the HDR plugin for photoshop, but it is fairly limiting I found...

Here's an example:

I used 6 shots to make the blend ---- also, used a .6 ND filter and a circular polarizer
Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #118149 by steveheap
Chuck

Great shot - I have struggled a bit with moving items like water, but it has picked up the texture of the river very well. I think I may have been tempted to blend in one of the originals for the spray though.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 9 months ago #118154 by Scotty
For tone mapped, unreal looking pics, It really doesn't matter which you pick. Both will give similar results. For realistic shots, where you just want to extend the range...Photoshop is by far the best.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024