Before and After: Photo Design with Digital Backgrounds

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127460 by Jamie
Here's a sample using a Digital Background from Photobacks Holiday Season Package, at: http://tinyurl.com/35unudl

For this one, we took a photo with a neutral background, added a digital backdrop to the layer above it, and set the blending mode of the backdrop to overlay. We then created a mask with a soft brush and added adjustment layers to "pop" the photo and cover-up any masking issues (giving us a greater blend of colors). Note, the top two adjustment layers affect the backdrop and photo, whereas the third adjustment layer only affects the photo, giving us greater control. (This was also posted on our Facebook Page, where we have more samples and free downloads, at: www.facebook.com/photobacks .) Click image below to see it larger:

PhotographyTalk Users enjoy 15% OFF at www.photobacks.com !
Use: PHT843 at checkout!

Attachments:
12 years 8 months ago #127680 by Ziggy
What a difference, I like the colors and the back ground looks like it was taken with the rest of the photo

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #127879 by Jamie
Thank you, Ziggy! Yes, a huge part of the battle when it comes to using digital backgrounds is not just the removing or masking the original background, but also matching or balancing the new background with the original photo, or vice-versa.

Since the two images are coming from two different settings, we have to blend them together so they feel like they came from the same place. I think when many people add a digital background at first, they think it looks fake or awkward, but if you adjust the lighting, levels, saturation, focus, etc., to balance one with the other, you can blend them quite nicely with ease.

12 years 8 months ago #127881 by Jamie
I should also note, using a digital background (digital backdrop) doesn't necessarily mean we're always using it to look like a real studio backdrop...sometimes it's just a neat graphic element to combine with your photo. We see this a lot on album covers or sports posters, where the digital background just becomes part of the overall all "special" design.

12 years 8 months ago #127901 by Shadowfixer1
I like the background switch but I don't like the edit on the subjects. They look way too orange and too contrasty for me. Different strokes as they say.
12 years 8 months ago #127915 by VT Hiker

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I like the background switch but I don't like the edit on the subjects. They look way too orange and too contrasty for me. Different strokes as they say.

I'm agreeing with you again.

(Is that going to help or hurt my burgeoning reputation? :lol: )

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 8 months ago #127929 by Shadowfixer1

VT Hiker wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I like the background switch but I don't like the edit on the subjects. They look way too orange and too contrasty for me. Different strokes as they say.

I'm agreeing with you again.

(Is that going to help or hurt my burgeoning reputation? :lol: )

You're doghouse bound.:lol:
12 years 8 months ago #127974 by Scotty

Agreed.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #128047 by Jamie
Yes, obviously, this photo is really affected and not necessarily a true "natural" background replacement. This photo is being used in part with other highly saturated, heavy contrast Christmas graphics for promotional reasons, so it definitely blends in the "outgoing" promotion... but I grabbed it and shared it here out of context. Of course, we could just change those adjustment levels and bring things back to "normal"...

12 years 8 months ago #128079 by Stanly
How often do you have new creatives designed?

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #128422 by Jamie

Stanly wrote: How often do you have new creatives designed?

Often, but not as often as we'd like! :) We do have an emailing list for anyone who'd like updates. You can sign up at the bottom of the page at www.photobacks.com

12 years 8 months ago #130622 by Rawley Photos
Not bad, I like :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jamie

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024