Some Lightroom Help

12 years 3 months ago #197446 by Chander
I've been doing all of my processing with a combination of Bridge, and Photoshop. My volume has increased dramatically this past year and I need to work out a more streamlined workflow for dealing with huge numbers of files. So, I've decided to migrate to Lightroom.

What I'm having difficulty with though is that I already have around 600GB of self-managed images. Moving that much data over and over again is really not a very reasonable idea. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips of migrating my very large current self-managed workflow over to a managed Lightroom workflow.

I appreciate the help! Thanks.

12 years 3 months ago #197448 by Nicole99
Consider breaking your archive up into separate catalogs so that you don't have to put all of your images into one. In LR, you can only open one catalog at a time.
I know several photographers who go as far as putting each wedding and portrait session into a separate catalog.

12 years 3 months ago #197450 by Monitor Boy
I don't use Lightroom to manage my final images. However in cases where I have had a very well laid out structure full of thousands of images. I click Import, and in the dialogue one of the options is to "add photos to gallery without moving".

In this case it'll hard link the Lightroom library to a location on the harddisk, and it'll even give you and indicator of how much free space there is on that drive

The Lightroom catalogue is basically the database of images and their edits. I don't use multiple catalogues so I can offer no further advice there.

12 years 3 months ago #197456 by Chander
I'm unfamiliar with the way the word catolog is used in LR. Can someone explain that too me.

12 years 3 months ago #197468 by Nicole99
A catalog file is LR's data base...like a master file. When you import images, LR notes the location of the image file and render's a preview. All the edits you make are also saved.
So for back-up purposes, all you should need to do, is backup the catalog file.

I think that many people use a single catalog file in LR. It can certainly handle a lot of images. Your images can still be organized via the file structure you have, within the catalog.

The issues that some people have, are that the catalog file can get pretty big...and for some, there is no reason to have all their photos grouped into a single catalog because they would never need to edit them together.

As I mentioned, some people create a new catalog for each wedding they shoot. That makes it easy to finish a job and not having to backup those parts of a single catalog from then on.

12 years 3 months ago #197469 by Chander
Oh I see. Thanks, you've been really helpful. :thumbsup:

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #198789 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #199097 by holdenmonty
I have adobe lightroom and what I do is I copy the photo's from the camera onto my computer into a folder that I have named the name of the place I took the photo's for my own organization and then when I go into light room I go to import and then find that folder and tell it to import those photo's. Then it has a list along the left side that is a mirror of my own folder organization and I edit them that way.

I love landscape photography because it captures the beauty of God's creation

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Capturing beautiful portraits requires an understanding of compositional techniques (and a lot of other things). In this guide, learn how to master low-angle portrait composition for beautiful results!

May 28, 2024

Tree photography is an interesting genre of landscapes that use the size, shape, and texture of trees as the primary element of interest. With these quick tips, you can master the art of photographing trees!

May 24, 2024

Auto white balance is a camera setting that adjusts the color temperature of your images automatically. It often works well, but you should know a few tips to fix problems it might cause, too.

May 24, 2024

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III might be more than a decade old, but it still has the chops to be a quality camera for photographers in 2024.

May 23, 2024

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024