Website set up for photographers

8 years 1 month ago #473581 by AdrianWaters
I'm speaking to a couple graphic designers on getting a website set up.  I want something unique and different from others.  Which is why I'm not going the Smugmug or Zenfolio route.  

My question - Would you say $3100 (and includes 6 months service too) is a good deal for a completely unique website design? 

8 years 1 month ago #473593 by plymouthcards
This depends on many factors.
  • How many pages is the website?
  • How many photos does this include? 
  • What services are they providing? Hosting, shopping cart?
  • How much will it cost for them to host, etc. after your free 6 months?
  • After the 6 month period, do you have control to make changes? Or will you have to pay them every time you want to made a add/delete/change anything?
Lisa
8 years 1 month ago #473666 by Alan Nunez
You really need to be sure that you have a designer and/or developer that is familiar with what your needs are as a photographer. What you may look at is some of the Photographer specific themes that are available for wordpress and then pay someone to build you a custom child theme on their framework.

These will often have built in utilities for you to publish your own galleries easily, take bookings, enquiries and orders online and other things that are important to photographers.

If you have the specs of what they are providing why not post it in the forum and we can have a look and see if there are offering good value for the price.

8 years 1 month ago #473701 by msmith55
I've had photographer pals pay MUCH more for a custom website, so from that perspective, $3,100 sounds like a good deal. However, I'd get a specific breakdown of what that $3,100 includes. Sometimes the add-on costs down the road can make it a much more expensive venture.

I've also had photographer pals use something like Wordpress or a website builder like Squarespace to build their own sites. I'm no web design expert by any means, but according to folks I know that use services like that they have come a long way and offer all kinds of customizations. Of course, you need to have the time in the day to create the site yourself, which many photographers don't have. But, if you have the time you might be able to get a new site for pennies on the dollar. Could be worth a look.

Good luck with the new site, however it is you decide to do it!

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #473744 by Tony Imaging
All good advice here

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #473817 by effron
That sure seems like a lot of money for a website......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #473818 by Sandy Smith Photos
For a unique website, it's not.  I got 4 quotes last year to have a custom website made for me and they ranged from $5100 to $7847.  Mind you, this was a custom one off look and feel for my needs.  I didn't have the spare funds at that time so didn't move on it.  This year, I have budget (after next month) and will be getting my new site made this summer.  Yeah!  

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #473884 by Happy-pixel
If this is a personal website that seems like a high cost.  However if you are using for a photography business, then go for it.  Good deal for exclusive website.  

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #473929 by Moossmann
Well if you have go for it.  Post up your site after so we can :drool:

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #474829 by AdrianWaters
I'm sorry everyone, I've been away and just got home.  Thank you all for the answers.  I appreciate you taking the time and helping me out!  

8 years 1 month ago #474843 by KCook

Happy-pixel wrote: If this is a personal website that seems like a high cost.  However if you are using for a photography business, then go for it.  Good deal for exclusive website.  

+ 1

My Zenfolio "site" takes zero effort on my part.  And does not look that much like the other ZF sites.  My Wordpress site has been a trial by fire.  But (just guessing) the right premium template could make WP a breeze too.  And the "look" of those WP templates are all over the map.

However, if this is a going business, not a hobby, $3k sounds like chump change.

cheapskate

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 6 months ago #500487 by pixelense
If you are looking for a cheaper option I'd suggest WordPress, I've been building WordPress themes for a few years now & you can scoop yourself a free theme like this ( thepixeltribe.com/template/photopress/ ) that will help you set up your site with zero cost (except domain & hosting).
If you are not comfortable doing it yourself you can pay about $200 for a full setup, which is still a really small fraction of your budget.
DB

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024