Dehaze slider in Lightroom unique?

1 year 3 months ago #594546 by Allen Carrel
In case you haven't noticed, on the far lower right in Development mode in Lightroom is "Dehaze".   For those that have used it, how is this different from using the contrast tab on the top?  

Better yet, is Dehaze doing something that is unique from the other adjustments?  

Thank you for helping to clear this up for me.  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 3 months ago #594604 by Shadowfixer1
Dehaze does behave differently. It tries to divide the scene into foreground and background. It will be more powerful in the background trying to remove haze and it will try to leave a good foreground as is. It tries to intelligently decide where the haze reduction is needed. Yes, it does increase contrast but in a totally unique way as compared to the universal contrast slider which will effect the whole image. Just like any other adjustment in Photoshop or Lightroom, a little dab will do ya. Crank it up and it begins looking freaky.

1 year 3 months ago #594611 by garyrhook
+1

There are very few images that can't benefit from a tiny bit of Dehaze, IMO. Or more, as needed, judiciously applied.

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #594621 by Baydream
+1
I recently used the dehaze option in Affinity Photo and the results were amazing. Large cliffs in the background were shot across water so they were hazy to begin with.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #594626 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote: +1

There are very few images that can't benefit from a tiny bit of Dehaze, IMO. Or more, as needed, judiciously applied.

I agree. I generally add about 10 of clarity and 10 of Dehaze to almost every image.

1 year 3 months ago #594651 by KCook
ACDSee also has a Dehaze. Mostly it lightens any dark, murky areas. I don't use it a lot, but once in a while it helps out.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

1 year 3 months ago #594721 by garyrhook
Topaz Studio has added a dehaze adjustment as well.

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #595151 by Drew Fletcher

garyrhook wrote: +1

Yep, I'm with you on this one.  Nearly all my shots get a little Dehaze love.  

Nikon D700 | 24-70mm | 14-24mm | 105mm
Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #595475 by Fess Walker
Here's a good clip

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #595480 by Fess Walker
One more

This one is much more direct and better IMO

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019

In this Nikon D3500 review, learn all about this camera's features, specs, and capabilities, as well as details about compatible lenses, the camera's pros and cons, and its price.

Nov 06, 2019

In this Panasonic G9 review, we take a look at its essential features, its build quality, compatible lenses, and other crucial details to help you decide if this is the camera for you.

Nov 04, 2019

In this Canon EOS 7D Mark II review, we outline the pros and cons of this camera and identify whether it's still a good buy in 2019.

Oct 25, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are plenty of filter kits to choose from, but many of them offer subpar build quality and results. That's not the case with the Haida M10 Filter Kit, which might be the ultimate landscape filter kit on the market today.

Nov 15, 2019

If you're a beginner and you want to explore black and white photography, consult these quick black and white photography tips to get started.

Nov 13, 2019

Winter photography can be a challenge for sure. But with these tips for winter photography, you can prepare yourself (and your gear) to get the best shots.

Nov 13, 2019

One of the critical aspects of creating awesome vlogs is having footage that's stabilized. With these methods for how to stabilize a camera, you'll have plenty of options for smooth video.

Nov 13, 2019

Photo by Cristian Grecu on Unsplash A Chinese university student tumbled off of one of China's largest mountains to her in death...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Karina on Unsplash Who among us doesn't have the intrinsically human desire to get absolutely smashed, incredibly naked...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Tim Bennett on Unsplash In a year of continuously bad news for Facebook, it turns out the iOS Facebook app has been...

Nov 12, 2019

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019