Adding copyright information into your photos EXIF data?

4 years 11 months ago #643530 by Juan Anthony
If you have your copyright information in or out of your exif data, will that make a difference in courts if you find someone using one of your images with out your permission?  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643531 by Nikon Shooter
No… but it won't hurt!

More than the ©, the RAW files contains info about the
body and the lens focal length — and focal length for
zooms — among other things (capture data).

All together, they are strong arguments in your favour.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643538 by garyrhook
In the US at least, and likely the rest of the signatories to the Berne Convention, the EXIF information is meaningless. Copyright is inherent in the creation of a thing, i.e. the instantiation of an idea. The audio of a recording doesn't contain copyright information, but is copyrighted nonetheless. The copyright office doesn't care about what camera you used.

Primarily: get out of a photography mindset when dealing with IP, and focus on creation. Copyright isn't limited to photography, and it doesn't change for other types of creations (music, books, etc).

For images, what matters is who created the image, and if a photograph and someone else pressed the shutter button, documentation that assigns the rights to that photo to you.

If you wish to sue for more than actual damages, the image must be registered with the copyright office. Otherwise you are limited (thank you DMCA >:-( ) in what you can do.

Join the Copyright Alliance (copyright.org) if you want to support artists' rights.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643539 by Nikon Shooter
The info contained in the RAW file — metadata + © — will prove
which equipment a given picture was made/taken with and, if you
can prove that you are the owner of the said equipment, who is
the first owner of the image's copyright.

The "offender" has to prove then that he/she is the actual owner
or can rightfully use the copyrighted image.

I was in court, I had to prove my unchallenged ownership, and got
a judgement in my favour.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643760 by Ira Weber
Nope, don't even bother.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643869 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote: The info contained in the RAW file — metadata + © — will prove
which equipment a given picture was made/taken with and, if you
can prove that you are the owner of the said equipment, who is
the first owner of the image's copyright.

The "offender" has to prove then that he/she is the actual owner
or can rightfully use the copyrighted image.

I was in court, I had to prove my unchallenged ownership, and got
a judgement in my favour.

Congratulations on winning in court. The judges don't always get it right, so it's nice to hear about rational decisions.

It took some work, but I did find that the EXIF data in a RAW NEF file records the serial number of the camera, which by rights would be enough of a connection to prove one was the creator. This is why retaining RAW files is important. But the thought comes to mind: what if one sells a camera, but never made a note of it's serial number or retained proof of ownership of that camera? One wonders how this might play into it.

Seems to me possession of the RAW file itself ought to be adequate, especially since a JPG/whatever won't necessarily contain the EXIF data from the original file.... but I'm not familiar with enough cases of these types to draw any conclusions.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643877 by Troponin
^^^from day one I had always assumed that possession of the RAW from the camera you own on the date it was taken would be enough proof, but unfortunately the job of the court isn’t that simple. All they need to do is prove reasonable doubt, as well as prove that you even lost any money in the deal. The community is still pushing to get more, like it doesn’t matter what I lost, this was a creation that I have spent weeks, months, years, decades(!!!) working on. Is my time and my own, one of a kind, creation, not worth anything at all? Apparently the person who stole it thought it was quite valuable to them....

i digress. It’s a sore subject for many of us. :(

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: jogesh12345
4 years 11 months ago #643901 by garyrhook

Troponin wrote: ^^^from day one I had always assumed that possession of the RAW from the camera you own on the date it was taken would be enough proof, but unfortunately the job of the court isn’t that simple. All they need to do is prove reasonable doubt, as well as prove that you even lost any money in the deal. The community is still pushing to get more, like it doesn’t matter what I lost, this was a creation that I have spent weeks, months, years, decades(!!!) working on. Is my time and my own, one of a kind, creation, not worth anything at all? Apparently the person who stole it thought it was quite valuable to them....

i digress. It’s a sore subject for many of us. :(

No worries.

I'll say it again: copyrightalliance.org

They are currently trying to drum up influence to gain congressional support for the CASE act. That's the idea of a (federal) small claims court for issues. We need that badly.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Troponin
4 years 11 months ago #643911 by TCooper
That would be great, however would only have jurisdiction here in the U.S..  When a lot of these issues take place over seas.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644070 by garyrhook

TCooper wrote: That would be great, however would only have jurisdiction here in the U.S..  When a lot of these issues take place over seas.  

That's not entirely accurate. Signatories to the Berne Convention agree to a number of things. It would be nice, however, if the signatories actually enforced laws that protected IP.

Net: if you don't want your image misappropriated, don't put it online.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024