I HATE PHOTOSHOP

13 years 1 month ago #33109 by Lazurus
Just kidding but wanted to get your attention.

Photoshop has been the industry standard for years.
My only complaint is that Photoshop is addictive!
I can spend hours working on an image. I get totally adsorbed. Time is nothing.

I learned Photoshop while working in the Commercial Printing Industry. Prior to Photoshop, I worked a million dollar system by HELL GRAPHIC SYSTEMS called a Chromacom. An image was imported over to the chromacom side from a High End Drum Scanner. Next I could run the script on the Combiscope and completely rebuild the job on it. Processing time ( Paging ) was a bear and took forever before the image was ready for output. Images were stored on huge IBM disk stacks we called TOP HATS. Maybelline was our first major account. Wonder Woman, Lynda Carter, was my first full blown retouching job for them. Her complexion was really bad. I remember sitting with the Maybelline art director for three days to get the look just right.

So much better now. Images were initially cleaned up for print purposes. Photoshop lacked layers and used alpha channels at the time. If you messed up, you had to start over...no history states! Later as Photoshop evolved, we found it could do so much more for client images.

When Digital Photography started to come along just a few years back, we had to do more correction for the early users. Resolution was an issue and 4MP images were tough to work with. Many Professional Photographers stayed with analog production of their Transparencies as they said Digital Photography would NEVER be of interest to them. Imagine that!

Digital Photography remains a growth Technology and is here to stay. There a 24MP cameras on the market if you have deep pockets. I was using a SCAN BACK on a 4x5 View Camera for bringing images into Photoshop. The size of the scan was 16" x 20" at a whopping 325 MB capture. Took about 2 minutes to image. I used it for stationary object and large art reproduction. Lighting was a bugger as it complicated to illuminate a 40 x 60 canvas without hot spots. The lighting would fluctuate as well, even with Video Lamps. Loved the images but gave up the process.

One or two more tid bits about Photoshop. IT NEVER CHANGES, IT EVOLVES. Many of the original features are there but are only available through KEY SCRIPT and not from a menu.
Other tid bit is that the average user employs a mere 15% of Photoshop's full Capabilities.

So....go out there and start finding the other 85%. You will be amazed what you can find.
I have just NOW started working with CS5. Some of the new stuff, like puppet warping,and HDR are a bit confusing but I will continue to burn the time to adjust to their functions.

Like I said, TIME IS NOTHING when it comes to Photoshop. Don't rush it. Take your time. Don't be afraid to start over if you become unhappy with your results.

OK....Last tid bit......SAVE SAVE SAVE SAVE ! Organize your files and folders well. Keep the PSD files at full resolution and in RGB. Use them later for doing any and all conversions for formatting required for the various applications, from print to web graphics.

PHOTOSHOP ROCKS.....you make it ROLL.

13 years 1 month ago #33157 by Scotty
lol this gets thread of the month. :banana:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lazurus
13 years 1 month ago #33183 by Yasko
Wow, an OLD-SCHOOL editor has joined the ranks :cheer:. Must be wonderful to have such experience. To have edited wonderwoman's face :woohoo: I've been shopping since 2003, Adobe photoshop 7.0. Agree, it never re-invents itself, it just evolves and gets better and better and better....

13 years 1 month ago #33271 by Monster
I'm motivated and inspired with that thread :beerbang:

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #33272 by effron
Wherefore who and the what now????? :toocrazy:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #33756 by Alex

Scotty wrote: lol this gets thread of the month. :banana:

+1 Excellent thread.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #33894 by Joves
I think with any of us it is a love hate relationship. It is fun to play with but kills time all too well. Sometimes when I working with it I feel like I have entered the Twilight Zone where time disappears.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #36158 by Moe
This was entertaining to read :judge:

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #36161 by cah87
Let's start a I hate photoshop club. :rofl:

13 years 1 week ago #45630 by gonzoriffic
I really loved reading this! So much I never knew you did (I think you told me the Linda Carter story before, but it was probably years prior to my first printing job). fascinating. More like this!
13 years 1 week ago #45647 by Stealthy Ninja
layers are your friend.
13 years 3 days ago #47884 by Henry Peach
Coming from the traditional darkroom spending a few hours on a photo doesn't seem that bad, and the idea that I can go from camera to print in 5 min for most of my photos seems like a miracle. Sometimes I spent weeks working on a single photo, and still couldn't get it to work. I love Photoshop. I love getting to use the full ability of my eyeballs and use a monitor that is calibrated to match my finished prints. No more working blind or under a dim, red light. No more finding out that after hours spent in the darkroom my prints have dried down a bit darker than I wanted. No more mopping the floor.
13 years 21 hours ago #48851 by Lazurus

gonzoriffic wrote: I really loved reading this! So much I never knew you did (I think you told me the Linda Carter story before, but it was probably years prior to my first printing job). fascinating. More like this!

Yes it was Andrew. I remember teaching you how to spot out the goobs in the scans for me. This was your introduction to Photoshop. You saved me hours. When we first went digital, the high end flatbed scanner did a great job but the draw back was the "noise and specks" from the CMOS ability of the Fuji machine. It was my style to PUSH the limits for the quality I was seeking.

13 years 21 hours ago #48852 by Lazurus
Totally Agree. Dodging, burning, pushing, all of that was a skill. I am thankful for the darkroom experience. GLAD that part is over for sure. Although, I must admit that wet printing of the images doesn't compare to the digital print process. I used to match various papers and developers to get some great BW images. I still have some and they look as good as they did the day they were printed. I was a believer in proper fixing and washing, washing, washing of the prints. LOL

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024