How do you make a HDR image from one photo?

13 years 1 month ago #35482 by Hamtastic
I'm not talking about using some sort of software, I was told you can tweak a image in Photoshop and have it coming out looking like a HDR image. How is that done?

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #35596 by Happy-pixel
Nik Software and Topaz Labs both have programs that will do that. Or you can play around with the contrast and adjust curves and exposure.

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #35692 by Scotty
Luminosity masks, or layer blending.

Layer blending involves editing multiple images of the same image, based on raw information.

How you do it is by importing smart objects.

When you open a Raw from Adobe Bridge, you will get the raw editor, before going into full blown photoshop.

I believe it's Command on mac, and probably Control on PC. Hold one of those down depending on your computer, and hover over the "open" button the right corner, it should say "open smart object."

What smart objects do is enable you to open RAWs and have them interact in photoshop like a layer. You can have 2 of the same image open and in the layer menu, you'll have a little black and white box on the layer you can double click, and edit that raw itself anytime you want with full raw editing tools.

What does this really mean?

It means you can extend your dynamic range more than any other program in existance, and do make it look uncanny.

Topaz, Lucis, photomatix, photoshops HDR plugin, and all of the other software is absolute GARBAGE compared to this.

Try this.

Make to smart objects of the same picture, have them as 2 layers in photoshop.

Edit the first and bring up the exposure A LOT.

edit the 2nd to underexpose it, like you were trying to bring in a sky.

Order the layers correctly (top shows the most), Paint with White i believe on that layer, and the underexposed sky comes through on top of the blown out sky. You're using raw information to it's max, now you mix this with blending methods, opacities, and the power of photoshop...you now do what art wolfe, scott kelby, peter lik and the greatest photographers do to their landscapes.

They do not use filters, they hand craff their shots, like ansel adams did.

I may have had some errors in the process, because I haven't done this to landscape to a month or so, but you'll get the point.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #35934 by effron

Scotty wrote: Luminosity masks, or layer blending.

Layer blending involves editing multiple images of the same image, based on raw information.

When you open a Raw from Adobe Bridge, you will get the raw editor, before going into full blown photoshop.

I believe it's Command on mac, and probably Control on PC. Hold one of those down depending on your computer, and hover over the "open" button the right corner, it should say "open smart object."

What smart objects do is enable you to open RAWs and have them interact in photoshop like a layer. You can have 2 of the same image open and in the layer menu, you'll have a little black and white box on the layer you can double click, and edit that raw itself anytime you want with full raw editing tools.

It means you can extend your dynamic range more than any other program in existance, and do make it look uncanny.

Topaz, Lucis, photomatix, photoshops HDR plugin, and all of the other software is absolute GARBAGE compared to this.

Try this.

Order the layers correctly (top shows the most), Paint with White i believe on that layer, and the underexposed sky comes through on top of the blown out sky. You're using raw information to it's max, now you mix this with blending methods, opacities, and the power of photoshop...you now do what art wolfe, scott kelby, peter lik and the greatest photographers do to their landscapes.

I may have had some errors in the process, because I haven't done this to landscape to a month or so, but you'll get the point.

Exactly what I was gonna say.......B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #35980 by Scotty

effron wrote:

Try this.

Exactly what I was gonna say.......B)

:drool:

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #36062 by Conner

Try this.

Any photos to share with that great post?

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #36162 by cah87
I'm not into HDR, but thanks for sharing. I also would like to see some photos from the step by step instructions. lol

13 years 1 month ago #36247 by Hamtastic
Good information Scotty

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #36398 by Yasko
Good explanation Scotty, my thoughts exactly.

How do you process a single shot to HDR? You don't. It's impossible to boost it, a single shot has the dynamic range of...a single shot.

13 years 1 month ago #36400 by Scotty

Yasko wrote: Good explanation Scotty, my thoughts exactly.

How do you process a single shot to HDR? You don't. It's impossible to boost it, a single shot has the dynamic range of...a single shot.

A single shot's RAW has a lot of dynamic range.

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #36401 by Stealthy Ninja
RAW has from 10-14 stops of dynamic range in a good camera.
13 years 1 month ago #36403 by Yasko
Even more if you selectively combine multiple RAWs ;)

13 years 1 month ago #37246 by Number 7
Do any of those canned softwares work good?

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37254 by Scotty

Number 7 wrote: Do any of those canned softwares work good?

If you want pro results, no.

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37264 by Yasko

Scotty wrote:

Number 7 wrote: Do any of those canned softwares work good?

If you want pro results, no.

I've extensively experimented with Photomatix, Artizen, and a couple others, and I have to agree with that. The results are quick, and satisfactory for some, but nothing beats traditional Photoshop processing techniques. The steep learning curve is well worth it in the end.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024