best software for the money?

12 years 11 months ago #71519 by HyperJ
i was just wondering what programs you guys use for editing or programs that you would recommend that aren't super expensive. I need something to edit these photos. How is NX2?

12 years 11 months ago #71523 by Powell Pink
Elements is supposed to be a pretty good program for the money, will cover most of your bases.

Capture one or Lightroom are raw converters that will let you do a lot of your PP in-program, and if you don't do a lot of localized edits might be good for you.

12 years 11 months ago #71527 by August
Picasa, it's free and does a nice job... works with RAW files too.

12 years 11 months ago #71557 by Baydream

August wrote: Picasa, it's free and does a nice job... works with RAW files too.

:agree: Picasa is an easy-to-use software that is free from Google at www.picasa.com and can do a lot of your basic editing. I have taught 3 courses on Picasa at a seniors learning program and it was well received.

Gimp is another that some folks here use (free) at www.gimp.org/

For more complicated editing, Corel Paintshop Photo Pro X3 is on sale for $40.00. It uses layers and a lot of the features of Photoshop without the high price. It is not as widely used so less advice is available but Amazon has a good book on it.

store1.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp...er=1&pid=prod3580084

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #71627 by chasrich

Baydream wrote:

August wrote: Picasa, it's free and does a nice job... works with RAW files too.

:agree: Picasa is an easy-to-use software that is free from Google at www.picasa.com and can do a lot of your basic editing. I have taught 3 courses on Picasa at a seniors learning program and it was well received.

Gimp is another that some folks here use (free) at www.gimp.org/

For more complicated editing, Corel Paintshop Photo Pro X3 is on sale for $40.00. It uses layers and a lot of the features of Photoshop without the high price. It is not as widely used so less advice is available but Amazon has a good book on it.

store1.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp...er=1&pid=prod3580084

:goodpost: Took the words right out of my mouth... :agree:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #72539 by KCook
I use an old OEM copy of Elements. Version 4! Covers everything except curves. You can often find good discounts on the old OEM disks, if the latest version is too pricey.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 11 months ago #72565 by Trudehell
Gimp is a cheap - not to say free - alternative to Photoshop , both CS and Elements.

Regardless of what editing program you choose, be aware that the learning curve is steep and requires that you be interested enough to use quite some time on learning the different tweaks and finesses of the program. This is the difficult part, but also the fun part.

If you have little or no experience with photo editing, I suggest a small program to start with, and then that you progress to a more complicated program like Gimp or Photoshop Elements.

A very easy program is Ifranview , that I use to batch convert images (for instance for uploading to this site), to look through a folder and to do minor changes to images. The program is so small and easy, I recommend it as a side program to any program that take more than two seconds to load (i.e. Gimp, Picasa and Photoshop).

Good luck on your choises!

A user friendly computer first requires a friendly user.
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #72569 by robbie
I uses Nik plugins[all of them] for editing,raw converters Capture One and the free ViewNX from Nkon.
I don`t do much work in CS5 though!

12 years 11 months ago #72747 by Henry Peach
I've heard good things about GIMP, but never used it myself. I think Lightroom is a great value for most digital photographers.
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #73157 by MLKstudios
I'll second Henry's vote for Lightroom. They even added Photoshop to its name now, and costs about half of what normal Ps costs.

It can be used easily for very simple editing, and grow with you as you become better with it (and more professional).

Matthew :)

PS They offer a free trial here: www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #73221 by fotozone
I use Serif's Photo plus. You can use Photo Shop plug-ins and it is only $89.00 retail price. Once you have ordered from them you get discounted offers for there new products.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024